PDA

View Full Version : Networking all my computers...

PlaceofDis
Sep 7, 2004, 12:36 PM
Ok here is my setup and problems,

i have 2 powerbooks
1 old dell laptop running Windows 98
1 Pentium III Desktop running XP Pro
1 RCA cable modem that came with my cable service
1 Airport Extreme Basestation

what i need is to have the 2 powerbooks connected to the internet/network wirelessly, no problems there, the dell laptop that doesnt move because the battery is dead just needs to get online, but its about 20ft away from the cable modem and airport - easy connect it through a long ethernet cable to the basestation

thats been working fine, but now i have the old Pentium III desktop that i also want connected to the home network do use as a fileserver/music server so how then do i add this beast to the network?

the way i see it i have a few options:

1. buy a hub, this is simple and no big deal except wires, clutter, and $30
2. buy a wireless card for either the old dell or Pentium III, well the dell does have a wireless card but could not keep a signal from the basestation, any ideas?? and this makes me heisitant to buy one for the desktop
3. this is a solution that i dont know will work, so thats why i am asking here, the cable modem has a USB port on it as well as ethernet, will the airport, or is there any way for the airport basestation to recognize this as the input for the internet instead of the wan port? because this way i can have the two powerbooks and Pentium III networked together and the dell is the odd on out which is okay

thoughts ideas anyone?

Appreciate all the help anyone can give, sorry this is so long

~Tim

jeremy.king
Sep 7, 2004, 02:57 PM
Unless you are totally attached to Apple networking equipment, I would

1. Sell Aiport Extreme
2. Get Linksys WRT54G

You could even come out ahead in $$$, and have the same setup. Wiring the PIII box into one of the four ports on the router.

emw
Sep 7, 2004, 03:05 PM
First, forget the USB thing. You can only have one device connected to the modem at a time, either USB or Ethernet, not both.

Second, kingjr3's suggestion is a good one, if you can part with the cash for the WRT54G while you wait for your Airport to sell.

Otherwise, get a cheap wired router for $30 or $40, connect the Extreme Base Station to that as a bridge, and connect wired PCs to it as well. Buying a wireless card for the PIII would be almost as expensive and give no flexibility.

As for why the Dell's card can't keep a signal - if it's close to the base station, can't see any reason for that unless you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone near the Dell or base station that is interrupting service (try a different channel on the base station) or you have some odd access control set up on the router.

PlaceofDis
Sep 7, 2004, 03:08 PM
i didnt even think about that, kingjr3, i will definately consider that, i only like the airport extreme because of its printing capabilities....perhaps i could then print through the PIII?

and thanks for that info emw, couldnt i get a hub? or is a router needed?

emw
Sep 7, 2004, 03:19 PM
couldnt i get a hub? or is a router needed?

You could get away with a hub, since it would essentially just be an extension of the Airport's existing ethernet port. In my experience, the router does a better job of handling multiple points of traffic without slowing down the network, but a good switching hub should do the same thing and you'll save $20 or so.

jeremy.king
Sep 7, 2004, 03:31 PM
Edit: I can't read. Nevermind.