PDA

View Full Version : Navigon Introduces 'MyRegion' U.S. GPS Apps for $24.99

MacRumors
Mar 17, 2010, 02:54 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/03/17/navigon-introduces-myregion-u-s-gps-apps-for-24-99/)

Navigon yesterday rolled out a series of three regional U.S. GPS turn-by-turn navigation applications for the iPhone at an introductory price of $24.99 each, significantly cheaper than its more comprehensive MobileNavigator North America (http://appshopper.com/navigation/mobilenavigator-north-america) currently priced at $79.99. The three regional applications divide the continental United States into three overlapping segments, permitting customers to purchase discounted versions covering their area of the country. Additional regions are available through in-app purchasing currently priced at $12.99.

- NAVIGON MyRegion U.S. East (http://appshopper.com/navigation/navigon-myregion-us-east)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/03/17/154952-navigon_myregion_east.jpg

- NAVIGON MyRegion U.S. Central (http://appshopper.com/navigation/navigon-myregion-us-central)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/03/17/154952-navigon_myregion_central.jpg

- NAVIGON MyRegion U.S. West (http://appshopper.com/navigation/navigon-myregion-us-west)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/03/17/154952-navigon_myregion_west.jpg

Navigon reports (http://twitter.com/NAVIGON_US/status/10621739117) that the introductory prices are valid through April 12th, at which point they will increase to $29.99 for the first MyRegion application and $14.99 for subsequent in-app expansions.

Article Link: Navigon Introduces 'MyRegion' U.S. GPS Apps for $24.99 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/03/17/navigon-introduces-myregion-u-s-gps-apps-for-24-99/)

Doju
Mar 17, 2010, 02:56 PM
Dangit, great for you Americans but spread the love, Navigon.

I'd gladly buy it if they offered like Eastern Canada, or hell, even Canada. I am likely not going to the US and I seldom go cross-country.

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 17, 2010, 02:58 PM
Not a bad deal at all.... $25. I'd do that. Especially considering how the upgrades are apparently only $15 each? that's a total of $55 for the whole US......

EDIT: ok intro prices. $13 each. so $51?!! That's pretty cheap. But I am satisfied with TomTom :) and I got mine for $50 :-p

Even after the price goes up you can buy the whole US for the same $60 as TomTom. This is certainly a better strategy for getting more buyers. If I could re-do my purchase decision I would probably choose the central navigon region for half the price of what I paid. Well... Actually that's what I would have said a few months ago. But now I'm in the Air Force so I will probably need the east and west region eventually... But I think most people will only need a region

alywa
Mar 17, 2010, 03:31 PM
I was wondering if someone would do this... it is a really good option for people that don't travel out of their area very often. Myself... I travel enough, plus I'm on a border state, so I'm still happy with the full version. All in all, though, Navigon is solid.

mattwolfmatt
Mar 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
I was wondering if someone would do this... it is a really good option for people that don't travel out of their area very often. Myself... I travel enough, plus I'm on a border state, so I'm still happy with the full version. All in all, though, Navigon is solid.

There are no border states (that I can find). "Border" states are also included on the other map, too. I.E. Colorado is in both central and west.

VenusianSky
Mar 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
This is a decent deal. I probably would have just purchased all the US regions if it were available at the time. I don't really need all of North America.

1080p
Mar 17, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hmm.... I am thinking about it... but I hear that Tom Tom performs better.... :confused:

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 17, 2010, 03:55 PM
There are no border states (that I can find). "Border" states are also included on the other map, too. I.E. Colorado is in both central and west.

Yes. So Colorado is a Border state for both the central and west. Just because it is in two doesn't change that fact. Haha. Some people like to travel one state to their east and west :)

Granted, it is still cheaper to buy those two regions

Hmm.... I am thinking about it... but I hear that Tom Tom performs better.... :confused:

Yes that's what I've heard. at least on the 3G. I have tomtom and it has been good. Especially with their newest update, it is up to par with navigon on virtually everything, and arguably better in many respects.

amitdoc2b
Mar 17, 2010, 03:58 PM
Someone from Colorado would have to buy the Central region to travel to Kansas next door, or buy the West region to travel to Utah next door. So that would be considered a border state.

mattwolfmatt
Mar 17, 2010, 04:14 PM
Someone from Colorado would have to buy the Central region to travel to Kansas next door, or buy the West region to travel to Utah next door. So that would be considered a border state.

I understand this. I still think it's a pretty good system. I live in Michigan and only go west, it seems. I'd be happy to get the central map. That is, of course, if I didn't already spend the $80 on the whole US!

iphoneblack
Mar 17, 2010, 05:33 PM
sounds good.
Do you guys think I should get the traffic updates too ? $19.99?

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 17, 2010, 05:36 PM
sounds good.
Do you guys think I should get the traffic updates too ? $19.99?

Navigon is $25

Oh wow.... Nevermind.... the myregion is cheaper???.... does this mean if you buy all three regions right now you can get the whole US for $51 and still get traffic for the entire US for a one time fee of $20?... that's good.

iphoneblack
Mar 17, 2010, 05:41 PM
I thought navigon was 30?

well, on the left, it says Top In App Purchase.
1. Traffic Live $19.99
2. Map Upgrade... $12.99
3. Map Upgrade... $12.99

lol maybe traffic live only support the region you purchased..

DTphonehome
Mar 17, 2010, 07:14 PM
Is the rest of the app identical to the full version (ie, POIs, voice, etc)? Because I don't see why anyone would buy the full version at $80 when you could get the whole US by buying the other regions for a total of $51.

iphoneblack
Mar 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
Is the rest of the app identical to the full version (ie, POIs, voice, etc)? Because I don't see why anyone would buy the full version at $80 when you could get the whole US by buying the other regions for a total of $51.

just bought it and tested it. Everything works well, google local serach, POI, voice.
Bought traffic updates for $19.99 as well.
ummm the NA one includes Canada.

rstansby
Mar 17, 2010, 07:34 PM

The $80 full app includes Canada. For people who don't want Canada this new version is a no-brainer.

I like the fact that I can buy a smaller app that doesn't waste a lot of space on my iPhone with maps of the rest of the country.

DTphonehome
Mar 17, 2010, 07:37 PM
ummm the NA one includes Canada.

Ah, good point.

iphoneblack
Mar 17, 2010, 07:54 PM
I have a stupid question.
After I enter the address, sometimes, it let me pick some routes. How do I preview each of them? I want to look into it and not simply select just based on time and distance.

mattster16
Mar 17, 2010, 07:57 PM
I love this purchasing model, but I wish it had the option to buy Canada in-app as well. I'd rather spread it out and buy regions 'as needed' and I might need Canada! Think they'll add it later? Only thing keeping me from buying Central region right now...

Doctor Q
Mar 17, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm not impressed with their "NAVIGON MyRegion U.S. West" page in the App Store. Perhaps they have a little trouble customizing the app for each region? :rolleyes:

pjo63
Mar 17, 2010, 08:57 PM
The USA and Canada version is 1.46 GB and each of the regional versions are 1.40 GB.

I wonder if you are downloading the full USA map but just restricted to a particular region?

Anyone have any idea?

rorschach
Mar 17, 2010, 09:48 PM
The USA and Canada version is 1.46 GB and each of the regional versions are 1.40 GB.

I wonder if you are downloading the full USA map but just restricted to a particular region?

Anyone have any idea?

I'm pretty sure that's the case. Aren't apps not allowed to download new code? I think they have to include the full app and "In-App Purchases" just unlock the functionality.

I could be wrong.

Jeff321
Mar 17, 2010, 11:58 PM
Uggh need more storage space!

16 GB isn't cutting it anymore. Bring on 64 GB!

bluechipBMW
Mar 18, 2010, 04:53 AM
I have dumb question that I could not find on itunes or the companies website. Is this a one time price for the life of the app? Or do I need to renew every year or month? Just wondering if there is a subscription fee.

Thanks

Lightbrazer
Mar 18, 2010, 05:54 AM
I have dumb question that I could not find on itunes or the companies website. Is this a one time price for the life of the app? Or do I need to renew every year or month? Just wondering if there is a subscription fee.

Thanks

When the app first came out what they said was they would continue to update the map for free at least through 2011 guaranteed but after that it depended on the revenue they were getting from new purchases to see if they would update beyond that for free or if they would release a new version. (this was of course before in app purchasing existed, so I doubt they'd need a new version now rather than just an in app map purchase upgrade).

You get the app and you can keep using it forever just like a standalone, and for at least the next two years you'll get free updates to the map. Navigon, has released a lot of in app stuff though, such as the traffic and the upcoming topography view which will continue to drive sales even after people have purchased the app, so I'm guessing we may get a few more map updates for free out of it. Beyond that, it's not a subscription per se, but I'm sure they'll eventually have an in app purchase option to update to the latest years maps. It would be totally optional though and if your area doesn't change much totally non needed.

ammon
Mar 18, 2010, 07:32 AM

Why on earth would someone from Colorado EVER want to go to Kansas?!??!? :D

geekmommy4
Mar 18, 2010, 07:42 AM
Great deal! I've been holding off buying a GPS app, but think this deal has finally sold me!

n9n3
Mar 18, 2010, 09:22 AM
It's funny looking at the App store reviews for these three apps. The east region currently is rated 2 1/2 stars, while the west region is rated 4 1/2. Based on all of the official reviews I've seen, I know it's more towards the west region rating, but it's interesting to see how a a few disgruntled people can change the rating of an app compared to one that is exactly the same.

This is a pretty good deal and I may jump on the east region and the discounted lifetime traffic before April 12, even though I already have CoPilot. Copilot is decent, and has been improving, but I think the maps and feature in Navigon are more reliable and up to date than Copilot. Also, traffic is a 19.99 yearly purchase for Copilot, whereas Navigon is a one time purchase.

LetsGoMets
Mar 18, 2010, 09:23 AM
I do love the Navigon program. My only complaint is that it is slow to load, and even slow to enter info. I have iPhone 3G.
Once running, it is great.

I wonder... does anyone have an idea if the "smaller" version runs/loads quicker?

hdtvee
Mar 18, 2010, 09:48 AM
I apologize up front if I am repeating.

I have a stand alone Garmin GPS that we love that he wife and daughters use. I use the GMAP application on my phone and I am looking to upgrade. I like the GMAP but it is a bit clunky and not very intuitive.

What in all your opinions is the best out there,maybe close to the Garmin experience?

Is this Navigon the way to go? Pros and cons of this and TOM TOM? Or others?

I have a 3G and will not update until 4G.
Thanks!

Chris Blount
Mar 18, 2010, 10:05 AM
I apologize up front if I am repeating.

I have a stand alone Garmin GPS that we love that he wife and daughters use. I use the GMAP application on my phone and I am looking to upgrade. I like the GMAP but it is a bit clunky and not very intuitive.

What in all your opinions is the best out there,maybe close to the Garmin experience?

Is this Navigon the way to go? Pros and cons of this and TOM TOM? Or others?

I have a 3G and will not update until 4G.
Thanks!I have the Navigon app, the Tom Tom app and a Garmin GPS.

The Navigon and the Tom Tom app both have their pluses and minuses. The text to speech is quite good on Navigon. I think the Tom Tom app graphics are a little better though and (at least in my area) the maps are a little more up to date.

I would say to get close to the Garmin experience, go with Navigon. Great features at a great price!

hdtvee
Mar 18, 2010, 10:09 AM
I have the phone in a Proclip mount near the radio.

Do I need to be on top of the dash or on the window?

n9n3
Mar 18, 2010, 10:27 AM
I have the phone in a Proclip mount near the radio.

Do I need to be on top of the dash or on the window?

No, your iPhone should still pick up the GPS signal where you have it mounted. You're more likely to be affected by environmental stuff like weather (rain/snow) or obstructions like buildings in cities.

jtara
Mar 18, 2010, 10:48 AM
I do love the Navigon program. My only complaint is that it is slow to load, and even slow to enter info. I have iPhone 3G.
Once running, it is great.

I wonder... does anyone have an idea if the "smaller" version runs/loads quicker?

I have no idea how fast the "full" version runs. But the West regional version is slow as molasses. I was sold at the $25 price point, and had read favorable reviews. Now I don't know what the reviewers were thinking. It's practically worthless.

The big problem with the slowness is that you can paint yourself into a UI corner, and you're waiting, and waiting, and waiting to undo you mistake.

I also don't find the maps terribly intuitive: sometimes street names appear, sometimes they don't. I haven't figured out yet just when they do and don't. There's a setting for "street names" (why would you want to ever turn them off, anyway?) which was initially "off", but with it off it showed some street names anyway.

I've no idea how to turn on voice guidance. But I haven't tried it on a trip yet, either.

Honestly, I'm thinking that with a heads-up display, Google Maps would be a lot easier to use.

Are all GPS apps on the iPhone this slow? I'm afraid I'm now shopping for another GPS app.

redcupr
Mar 18, 2010, 11:02 AM
When I saw the $24.99 price for the 'My Region' version, I decided to give it a shot. I had used the MotionX GPS app before this one and it worked well, but I'm not big on paying monthly for 'guidance'. I'd rather pay one time up front.

I'm pleased with the perfomance, it loads pretty fast on my 3G (12 seconds from tapping the icon to being functional). Selections within the app are speedy as well as is the actual navigation. No complaints, yet.

My big gripe right now is finding a windshield mount that doesn't look like a mechanical engineer's wet dream. I love the simplicity of the Navigon mount available in Germany, but alas, I ain't in Germany.

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 18, 2010, 12:05 PM
I have no idea how fast the "full" version runs. But the West regional version is slow as molasses. I was sold at the $25 price point, and had read favorable reviews. Now I don't know what the reviewers were thinking. It's practically worthless.

The big problem with the slowness is that you can paint yourself into a UI corner, and you're waiting, and waiting, and waiting to undo you mistake.

I also don't find the maps terribly intuitive: sometimes street names appear, sometimes they don't. I haven't figured out yet just when they do and don't. There's a setting for "street names" (why would you want to ever turn them off, anyway?) which was initially "off", but with it off it showed some street names anyway.

I've no idea how to turn on voice guidance. But I haven't tried it on a trip yet, either.

Honestly, I'm thinking that with a heads-up display, Google Maps would be a lot easier to use.

Are all GPS apps on the iPhone this slow? I'm afraid I'm now shopping for another GPS app.

I've never used navigon, but I've heard from a lot of people about this issue on the 3G. I assume that's what you have? The 3GS can handle it. I use TomTom and have had practically no issue with lagginess.

jtara
Mar 18, 2010, 12:35 PM
I've never used navigon, but I've heard from a lot of people about this issue on the 3G. I assume that's what you have? The 3GS can handle it. I use TomTom and have had practically no issue with lagginess.

Yes, I have a 3G. I plan on getting a new post-3GS phone this summer if they come out with one. At least a faster processor will help.

The strange thing is, EVERYTHING about this app is slow. For example, even settings. It's very sluggish bringing up a settings screen or returning from it. Response of on-screen controls is slow, as well.

There's no good reason for this, as I have no problem with this in most others apps.

Only thing I can figure is that they have some proprietary "framework" that adds layers of complexity above the iPhone libraries. Makes sense that they would code to their own UI framework and then adapt the framework to different software platforms. Perhaps makes sense to get stuff out quickly, but not an optimal UI experience.

macduke
Mar 18, 2010, 12:51 PM
I like the fact that I can buy a smaller app that doesn't waste a lot of space on my iPhone with maps of the rest of the country.

That would be great except that this app weighs in at 1.4gb and contains all the U.S. maps, which are unlocked via in-app purchase.

Yes, I have a 3G. I plan on getting a new post-3GS phone this summer if they come out with one. At least a faster processor will help.

The strange thing is, EVERYTHING about this app is slow. For example, even settings. It's very sluggish bringing up a settings screen or returning from it. Response of on-screen controls is slow, as well.

There's no good reason for this, as I have no problem with this in most others apps.

Only thing I can figure is that they have some proprietary "framework" that adds layers of complexity above the iPhone libraries. Makes sense that they would code to their own UI framework and then adapt the framework to different software platforms. Perhaps makes sense to get stuff out quickly, but not an optimal UI experience.

I have a 3GS, and it can be a little laggy even on this device. It's not terrible, but like you said, the menus are slow to respond. All other apps fly on my 3GS except this one. I feel like they did use some sort of emulator of their existing software. Not much else can really explain it, except really crappy coding, which doesn't seem likely considering how easy the device is to code for.

justinfreid
Mar 18, 2010, 02:23 PM
That would be great except that this app weighs in at 1.4gb and contains all the U.S. maps, which are unlocked via in-app purchase.

Thanks for pointing this out. I had initially thought one of the benefits of these apps would be their smaller size.

muskratboy
Mar 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
...if they come out with one. .

Bite your tongue! :D

mcs37
Mar 22, 2010, 10:31 AM
This is a pretty slick deal, folks. I waited for months and months before Christmas time to see if the Google Navigation app would make it to the store, but after it was obvious that Apple would not let it through, I went for the Navigon after going through all the reviews. I'm happy with the Navigon overall, although a few improvements would make it better:

1) Cheaper traffic -- $25 is still the price on the full app and it seem it's only $20 on these regionals? WTF?
2) Ability to paste addresses, vice setting state, city, street, number.
3) Voice packs! I want a British or German woman voice. :)

Anyway I almost entirely use it on the east coast so I could have saved myself some money, but I'm happy with the app overall. I have a 3GS and it takes about 12 seconds to load, so I would not recommend anyone buying any full GPS app on less than 3GS hardware.

notabadname
Mar 22, 2010, 08:41 PM
I bought it a few days ago, and like a geek, have been comparing it to the very nice built-in Nav in my Infiniti FX-50. Dead on accurate. Great display - Really nice. I use my iPhone as my Nav on trips with rental cars. I have always used the Google Map feature included on the phone to get written turn-by-turn. But this thing is awesome. You need headphones to easily hear the very good voice instruction. The built-in speakers don't over power road and wind noise well. I have the Eastern region. Very up-to-date also. Has new roads near me that are not on my 2009 Infiniti. True dedicated Navigation system performance . . . . on my Phone. And no AT&T fee to use. I like :)

redcupr
Mar 23, 2010, 10:56 AM
When I saw the $24.99 price for the 'My Region' version, I decided to give it a shot. I had used the MotionX GPS app before this one and it worked well, but I'm not big on paying monthly for 'guidance'. I'd rather pay one time up front.

I'm pleased with the perfomance, it loads pretty fast on my 3G (12 seconds from tapping the icon to being functional). Selections within the app are speedy as well as is the actual navigation. No complaints, yet.

My big gripe right now is finding a windshield mount that doesn't look like a mechanical engineer's wet dream. I love the simplicity of the Navigon mount available in Germany, but alas, I ain't in Germany.

Update to my post above after a few days of using this app.

Still satisfied with it. The only issue I've come across it with the voice navigation. "She" gets a little flustered occasionally and go silent while giving a prompt. Most likely an issue with the 3G processor not being able to keep up. "She" takes a time-out for a second and then all is well with the voice guidance again.

Is it a deal breaker? Nope. Still happy with the app.

Tempted to upgrade to a 3GS for improved performance, but I'll wait for the next hardware update.

jtara
Mar 30, 2010, 10:21 PM
I've had the same problem with the voice directions cutting out. Unfortunately, this often leaves me directionless: "turn right at...". Where was that? Wouldn't be so bad if there were a "replay" button. Or a user manual, to tell me where the "replay" button is if I'm just missing it...

They just released version 1.5, but the "My Region" versions haven't been updated yet. Hopefully, that will come in the next few days.

Anybody try 1.5 and if so, is the UI any less sluggish? Entering an address is downright painful. Their drill-down approach doesn't really help - it seems to be taking a lot of time going to the network (I assume) to populate lists. I'd really, really, just like to be able to type an address. Of course, at several seconds per keystroke, that wouldn't be practical.

Sure would be nice if you could just enter "here" as an address, but apparently there's no way to do that. You have to either enter an address or find a nearby POI.

I'm pretty unclear on just what the "live traffic" feature does. I guess it will re-route you around traffic. And you can see a list of traffic problems, but that's not terribly useful. You'd have to pull over to pour over the list, and you'd have to be familiar with the area. Which of course, you wouldn't when you really need the app to navigate. It would be nice if it would display colors like Google Maps does.

I'm happy at least with the routing, so far. At least it doesn't give me wrong turns like Google does...

cavemonkey50
Mar 30, 2010, 10:29 PM
I've had the same problem with the voice directions cutting out. Unfortunately, this often leaves me directionless: "turn right at...". Where was that? Wouldn't be so bad if there were a "replay" button. Or a user manual, to tell me where the "replay" button is if I'm just missing it...

Click the bottom left box which indicates the next turn to replay a direction.

navguy
Mar 31, 2010, 09:31 AM
Sure would be nice if you could just enter "here" as an address, but apparently there's no way to do that. You have to either enter an address or find a nearby POI.

i may misunderstand this question, but if you touch the 3D map, it turns to 2D you can pan/zoom to a new spot and select "Set Destination" bottom of screen ... a pin will appear and allow you to navigate to that spot

redcupr
Apr 1, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty unclear on just what the "live traffic" feature does. I guess it will re-route you around traffic. And you can see a list of traffic problems, but that's not terribly useful. You'd have to pull over to pour over the list, and you'd have to be familiar with the area. Which of course, you wouldn't when you really need the app to navigate. It would be nice if it would display colors like Google Maps does.

I used the app the other day on a stretch of freeway where I knew the traffic was backed up about 10 miles ahead.

The app used the traffic data to estimate the time of arrival, and as the traffic cleared it updated that time. What started out as an arrival time of 11:02AM, eventually dropped down to to an arrival time of 10:30AM before I got the place where I knew the traffic was.

It also pops up yellow icons along the route as you are approaching traffic, it was pretty accurate so the traffic data must update frequently.

Whether it will re route you to a faster route automatically, I don't know. I'm guessing you'd have to 'stop' navigation, 'start' over, and select the fastest route from the three choices it gives you.

I'll give it the real test the next time I drive from Seattle, WA to Portland, OR. That stretch of I-5 is called "The Slog" for good reason.

navguy
Apr 1, 2010, 03:17 PM
re: MyRegion, what happens when you bump into the end of a region? does the map stop? keep going w/ blank? ... just curious

redcupr
Apr 2, 2010, 04:02 PM
Whether it will re route you to a faster route automatically, I don't know. I'm guessing you'd have to 'stop' navigation, 'start' over, and select the fastest route from the three choices it gives you.

OK, I gave the app another test today. It did do some on the fly re-routing due to traffic.

Here's what happened: Driving down I-5 in Seattle and came upon some very heavy, almost stopped, traffic (Northgate area for those that are familiar). The app said to take the next upcoming exit, so reluctantly I did. Then it had me drive down the off-ramp and continue alongside the freeway, then right back on at the on-ramp for the same exit.

While not the most courteous thing to do, it did save my a couple minutes.

So, yes it does re-route in some situations.

ct2k7
May 9, 2010, 11:12 AM
I am glad that this app is so cheap. I would surely avail this app. I hope there are a lot of app such as this which is very useful at the same time, cheap.
Please refrain bumping threads, it is annoying