Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

171331-jerry_york.jpg

Bloomberg reports that Jerome "Jerry" York, former Chief Financial Officer at IBM and Chrysler and a current member of Apple's Board of Directors, has been hospitalized in critical condition following a cerebral hemorrhage.
York, 71, collapsed at his Rochester, Michigan, home Tuesday night, according to his wife, Eilene York, and was taken to Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital by ambulance. She said today that doctors told her that he suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage.
York and Intuit CEO Bill Campbell were hand-picked by Apple CEO Steve Jobs for inclusion on the board upon Jobs' return to the company and assumption of the "interim" CEO position in 1997. York was once again reelected to the board at last month's shareholders meeting at the company's headquarters in Cupertino and currently serves as the Chair of the board's Audit and Finance Committee.

Apple's corporate bylaws require a minimum of five directors with a maximum of nine. Since the resignation of Google CEO Eric Schmidt from Apple's Board of Directors last August, Apple has continued with seven directors on its board. Apple's most recent addition to its Board of Directors was Avon CEO Andrea Jung, who was named to the board in January 2008 and took on the position of Co-lead Director last month, sharing the position with former Genentech CEO Art Levinson.

Article Link: Apple Director Jerome York Hospitalized in Critical Condition

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Thew news of anyone suffering a horrible health condition, regardless of their title or status, is very sad. I hope he has a full recovery.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Whoever voted positive, care to explain yourself?

Though I voted negative due to the hemorrhage. I was not sure which would be better depending on the point of view taken of the article. As choosing positive or negative can both be acceptable replies.

Negative: Because he had a hemorrhage.

Positive: Because he is alive and getting medical care.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Though I voted negative due to the hemorrhage. I was not sure which would be better depending on the point of view taken of the article. As choosing positive or negative can both be acceptable replies.

Negative: Because he had a hemorrhage.

Positive: Because he is alive and getting medical care.

I guess I can see the dilema, but I think there's clearly a right answer. The "news" part of the story is the hemorrhage.

All the other board members are alive and there's no story about them being alive. So clearly it's the 'hemorrhage' part that is the reason for the story existing.

So I think that's why voting negative is the right choice here.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
He was an excellent choice and is well thanked for his service. That said, Apple should appoint two new directors within the next month or so. They need a bit more heavyweight opinion to make up for the loss of two thoughtful gentlemen, one of which, his other company actually worries Apple a bit in the marketplace.

Broadband roll out and server side build out and "bold moves" will define the next two directors. Now is the time.

Rocketman

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
This is awful news and I hate to see anyone hurt, but in case they need a replacement, I am free on nights and weekends. I also have decent bill of health.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Maybe they should turn off the negative/positive voting for this type of story.

He may have had an aneurysm. They are silent time bombs. Hopefully he can pull through with minimal residual deficits.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
That said, Apple should appoint two new directors within the next month or so.

Comments on threads like this baffle me. As the news article said, Apple can operate with a board of five to nine directors. With Mr. York they currently have 7 members.

So what’s the rush?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.