PDA

View Full Version : Folding@Home: Team rank and member drive

Rower_CPU
Aug 4, 2002, 03:53 PM
For those of you out there who are new to MacRumors, or distributed computing, or both. This thread is meant to provide info on the Folding@Home team and to try to persuade more of you to join up.

First off, some handy links:
The Folding@Home webpage - http://folding.stanford.edu
The MacRumors Team page - http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage.detailed?q=3446/
The Statsman F@H info page - http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/

The Statsman page gives you a lot of good info on teams production rates, and trending.

We are currently in 43rd place, if you don't count the "no team" users. Our goal is to find a spot somewhere in the top 30, but the competition is pretty stiff.

Feel free to ask us questions about running the various F@H apps, scoring, etc.

We hope to see some new faces on the team in the near future.:)

Rower_CPU
Aug 6, 2002, 12:30 AM
Our (mc68k and my) lab of ~30 PCs is back up and running at full strength again...I'm taking over all of the machines while he's on vacation.:p

Let's get cracking, people!:D

MacMaster
Aug 6, 2002, 11:32 AM
I'm on Seti@Home with 15 wu's. Stupid slow computer!:mad: Anyway my username there is Mac_Master. I would join folding@home too, but I can't run OSX on this computer...Well I can if I want to, but...It's a long story...

Rower_CPU
Aug 6, 2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by MacMaster
I'm on Seti@Home with 15 wu's. Stupid slow computer!:mad: Anyway my username there is Mac_Master. I would join folding@home too, but I can't run OSX on this computer...Well I can if I want to, but...It's a long story...

Yeah, we have another 30+ machines running OS 9 that we can't use.:mad:

Stupid Stanford...oh well, we should be getting new ones soon, and they'll most definitely run OS X.:D

Ensign Paris
Aug 6, 2002, 11:57 AM
I have about 30 machines at work that will be going up the OSX within the year (probably when X.2 and ArtPro comes out) When that is done because the machines wont get turned of and slept I will either run Seti or Folding, I haven't decided yet. When I do the username that we use will be added to one of the teams, I am on the seti team at the moment :)

Ensign

Rower_CPU
Aug 6, 2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I have about 30 machines at work that will be going up the OSX within the year (probably when X.2 and ArtPro comes out) When that is done because the machines wont get turned of and slept I will either run Seti or Folding, I haven't decided yet. When I do the username that we use will be added to one of the teams, I am on the seti team at the moment :)

Ensign

Run SETI on half and F@H on the other half, that way you don't have to shaft one team completely.:D

Ensign Paris
Aug 6, 2002, 12:14 PM
A split is a good idea, I am going to talk to our technical head of IT about it, he is a nice guy and probably allow a split, anyone interested can see pictures of my work at:

http://homepage.mac.com/guywickenden/PhotoAlbum6.html

Ensign

Rower_CPU
Aug 6, 2002, 12:20 PM
Nice work environment. What's the company? Design, web, print?

edesignuk
Aug 6, 2002, 12:23 PM
A split is a good idea, I am going to talk to our technical head of IT about it, he is a nice guy and probably allow a split, anyone interested can see pictures of my work at:

Ensign
That is a GREAT place! But...your 15 right?? How come you work there?

Tiauguinho
Aug 6, 2002, 12:31 PM
That's great news Rower!!!! I'm going on vacation during a week and i'm going to leave my PowerMac DP 1Ghz always on, only folding 24h a day! Top 30 here we go!!!

edesignuk
Aug 6, 2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
That's great news Rower!!!! I'm going on vacation during a week and i'm going to leave my PowerMac DP 1Ghz always on, only folding 24h a day! Top 30 here we go!!!
Be sure to run it under the terminal app won't you, you'll get FAR more done with that than the graphical version ;)

MacMaster
Aug 6, 2002, 01:57 PM

Ensign
Wow! That's really cool!!! I want to work there!:D(When I get older...:p )

Ensign Paris
Aug 6, 2002, 02:11 PM
The Company is called Seven and we do Repro Graphics there and my father is head of the technical team there so naturally I get to work there and look after the macs, we are currently:

• Installing an Airport network for the laptop users
• Thinking about replacing all the Macs with Cinema 23" or 19 if they are out by then.
• Playing with out XServe which so far I have not been able to fiddle with yet becuase at the moment it is at Seven London.

Seven London work for Apple doing Repro and media content for future products but they have very very secure Solaris servers that I just can't break through :) Its a great atmosphere, my, my father and my sister all work there :)

Ensign

edesignuk
Aug 6, 2002, 02:16 PM
The Company is called Seven and we do Repro Graphics there and my father is head of the technical team there so naturally I get to work there and look after the macs, we are currently:

• Thinking about replacing all the Macs with Cinema 23" or 19 if they are out by then.
• Playing with out XServe which so far I have not been able to fiddle with yet becuase at the moment it is at Seven London.

Seven London work for Apple doing Repro and media content for future products but they have very very secure Solaris servers that I just can't break through :) Its a great atmosphere, my, my father and my sister all work there :)

Ensign
You are very lucky! And if all those 21" CRT's were replaced with 23" HD's it would look awsome!

Tiauguinho
Aug 6, 2002, 05:21 PM
No problem with that Verbose, i'm running the Folding Control app! But thanks for the warning! ;)

Originally posted by verbose101

Be sure to run it under the terminal app won't you, you'll get FAR more done with that than the graphical version ;)

MacMaster
Aug 7, 2002, 12:22 AM

Ensign
Wow! You are sooooooo lucky! I jump (really high) at the chance to work with that many Macs and so much! And in such a great setup too! I wish...

Tiauguinho
Aug 7, 2002, 04:52 AM
Verbose,

I went to see the team page, and your name isn't there... Why? Join us!!! Join our team, help us out with some WU's, you have a great computer do do that!

Beej
Aug 7, 2002, 05:29 AM
I try to keep both the SETI and Folding teams happy, but you can't please everyone :) I run SETI most of the time, and when I need a change I do a few Folding units.

Tiauguinho
Aug 8, 2002, 02:44 PM
Come on guys we need to make anoher big push!!! only around 1500 points until top 40!!! LETS DO SOME FOLDING!!!!!!! TEAM MACRUMORS NEEDS YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Rower_CPU
Aug 8, 2002, 08:39 PM
As of 6:35 pm PST, here are the current standings for us and our nearest competitors:

Tiauguinho
Aug 9, 2002, 03:32 AM
We need more members on our team. Rower, Im going to create another thread, only to catch some more attention on our team. We have 2 teams behind us that are aproaching very fast.

pimentoLoaf
Aug 17, 2002, 01:11 PM
With 860 SETI WU's, I'm going full steam for F@H on both my iBook and Toshiba PC. SETI is winding down; maybe next year they'll switch to the Parkes Observatory in Australia where the WHOLE BLOOMIN' SOUTHERN SKY will be scanned, and not just a minor swath of it.

Besides, bioinformatics needs more than the radio-astronomers do.

pimentoLoaf
Aug 17, 2002, 10:59 PM
I ran (well, surfed, anyway :D ) over to Macfora.com to invite their handful of folders into our fold.

Dunno :( how many will jump ship and add to the fun.

Tiauguinho
Aug 18, 2002, 08:18 AM
Good job pimentoLoaf! Every user is welcome to our team!

dnte42
Aug 18, 2002, 09:07 PM
Got the folding terminal app a few days ago. Have two questions. First, is there any easy way to script the terminal to open the file or to launch it on startup? OS X just treats it as an unknown document. Second, is there any way to get the terminal to give status updates (i.e. the frames finished as in the logs)? Thanks.

mc68k
Aug 19, 2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by dnte42
First, is there any easy way to script the terminal to open the file or to launch it on startup? OS X just treats it as an unknown document.That's because there's no default file extension. Appending .command to any file forces it to be opened with terminal, whether it is executable or not. So provided the binary has been made executable, (w/chmod +x) you can have it open w/terminal by default using this method. You can take this a step further and have it automatically run at login using the login control panel and adding the .commad file. This will luanch the binary through terminal automatically.

A second way is to make a symbolic link to the file in your usr/bin subdirectory.
Type ln -s [pathname of F@H binary] /usr/bin/[link name]

You can then type in the linkname anywhere in your terminal session and it will have the same effect as typing the pathname.
Second, is there any way to get the terminal to give status updates (i.e. the frames finished as in the logs)? Thanks.Not that I have seen. My solution is to create an alias to the logfile in the work directory and open that when I care to know how far I've gone. I know of no way in F@H 3 to display the frames in the terminal.

bousozoku
Aug 19, 2002, 06:41 PM
Got the folding terminal app a few days ago. Have two questions. First, is there any easy way to script the terminal to open the file or to launch it on startup? OS X just treats it as an unknown document. Second, is there any way to get the terminal to give status updates (i.e. the frames finished as in the logs)? Thanks.

I use a shell script to allow me to show lines from the logs so I know how far it's gotten without showing the whole log. If you'd like I'd be glad to give you a copy of it.

Btw, I'm not on the team, how do I sign up? You're all so good and I only have two machines, but I'll add them to your mix, if you want me. :)

mc68k
Aug 20, 2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku
You're all so good and I only have two machines, but I'll add them to your mix, if you want me. :) For sure! Just follow this (http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html) link and download whichever you like. To start off I would use the graphical version, unless you're willing/savvy enough to try the terminal version.

Proteins usually take a while to fold, so be patient.

Our team #: 3446

Good luck, and thanks for your support! :)

dnte42
Aug 20, 2002, 11:37 AM
Wonderful. Thanks for the help.

(edit: btw, if you want to add yourself to the team, type in the normal command to run the file, or drag the file on the terminal, and add " -config" to the end of the command. It will ask you to enter your name, team, and one or two other things.)

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 12:39 PM
Oops, I figured it out before I read your posts. Thanks for letting me know.

I would rather run the console versions just because such applications are less processor-intensive so they get more done.

I've noticed some weird, or unexpected, performance. I have two machines, a PowerMac G3/400, 512MB with 9GB Ultra2 SCSI drive plus 40GB ATA100 drive (no ATA accelerator board) and a PowerMac dual G4/800, 512MB, 80GB ATA66.

On the same types of data, the dual processor is only twice as fast as the G3. If I use the ATA drive on the G3, it finishes half as fast (which would make it 25% of the dual).

It looks like the processors are important but a fast hard drive is just as important. It may also be that i don't have enough memory.

Btw, has anyone tried the low latency memory from OtherWorld Computing--PC133, CL2?

backspinner
Aug 20, 2002, 01:14 PM
...Second, is there any way to get the terminal to give status updates (i.e. the frames finished as in the logs)? Thanks.

on http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html you can find more info about the console. It lists a -verbosity command that maybe can help (didn't check it myself yet)

dnte42
Aug 20, 2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by backspinner

on http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html you can find more info about the console. It lists a -verbosity command that maybe can help (didn't check it myself yet)

Nope. It would be nice, but that only seems to add a slight bit more info when the program starts up. Perhaps in another version...

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 02:25 PM
I guess I should have just posted this shell script earlier.

This is my sl.sh:

#!/bin/tcsh
# show the logfile contents
cd ../Library/Folding@home/work/
foreach file (logfile_??.txt)
grep "[Ff]rame" $file
end
# also list the file .arc file for time
ls -l *.arc

It will list any line with the word frame in it, whether frame is capitalised or not. It also shows the results file. I use this to calculate the minutes per unit so I can switch the phone line etc. so they are transmitted in a timely fashion.

1. Put the text in a file called sl.sh
2. Use chmod +x sl.sh to make it executable.
3. Run it by typing ./sl.sh and pressing <ENTER> or <RETURN>

You'll get something like:

- Frames Completed: 4, Remaining: 96
Finished a frame (5)

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2002, 03:16 PM
Well, I went and installed it on my machine - running the terminal version on my TiPB 667 - don't know if I'll make all that much difference, but hey, one more grain of sand....

D

mc68k
Aug 20, 2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
don't know if I'll make all that much difference, but hey, one more grain of sand....Hehe...we got a moderator on our team!!! Way to represent. :)

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2002, 03:31 PM
ha, well, I'm running in the terminal and its going to be interesting to see how long it takes to do a unit - what's going to happen when the TiPB goes to sleep?

Also I tried running the script, but it didn't work, anyone else have problems with that?

D

mc68k
Aug 20, 2002, 03:37 PM
ha, well, I'm running in the terminal and its going to be interesting to see how long it takes to do a unit - what's going to happen when the TiPB goes to sleep?It will still fold.Also I tried running the script, but it didn't work, anyone else have problems with that?Try changing this line:

cd ../Library/Folding@home/work/
-to-
cd ~/Library/Folding@home/work/

It worked fine for me after that.

Tiauguinho
Aug 20, 2002, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the Team Dukestreet!!!!!!!

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2002, 03:42 PM
still the same friggin error

"./sl.sh: Command not found."

Which doesn't make sense, because its right there, chmod'd and everything. What should I edit it in?

D

mc68k
Aug 20, 2002, 03:45 PM
still the same friggin error

"./sl.sh: Command not found."

Which doesn't make sense, because its right there, chmod'd and everything. What should I edit it in?

D Are you trying to edit with ./sl.sh? This is the command for executing the script. If ./sl.sh does not execute the script, try source sl.sh. You have to be in the same subdirectory as sl.sh for ./sl.sh to recognize the script.

If you want to edit it, use pico for simplicity.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mc68k

If you want to edit it, use pico for simplicity.

Thanks mk68k! Pico worked great. I tried using vi but its been soooo damn long I was having problems remembering all the silly key commands. I had a bunch of ^M's floating around that messed the whole thing up.

here's the output

[localhost:~] dja% ./sl.sh
- Frames Completed: 0, Remaining: 100
ls: No match.

so when can I expect to get one frame done?

D

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 04:01 PM
The least I've seen is 4 minutes, the most would be over an hour, depending on the data, the machine, etc.

Sorry you had trouble with the shell script. I'd only tested it on two machines. :(

I always use emacs as an editor because I can't remember all the stupid vi craziness. There are enhanced versions of vi such as stevie though....eeek.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2002, 04:06 PM
ah, I should have used emacs, that I'm a little more familliar with. Use to do all my coding in that on Sun Workstations - but that was about 4-5 years ago, I can't believe its been that long.

But its been over an hour and nadda - could something be messed up?

pimentoLoaf
Aug 20, 2002, 04:10 PM
... but hey, one more grain of sand....

And that one extra grain might provide the cure for a debilitating disease.

mc68k
Aug 20, 2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf

And that one extra grain might provide the cure for a debilitating disease. True…but F@H is more for aggregation and assembly of proteins. The disease part is more of a long-term goal.

mc68k
Aug 20, 2002, 04:16 PM
But its been over an hour and nadda - could something be messed up? Could be…hard to say w/o anything to go on. I haven't had any frames take over an hour though so something's probably awry.
List your:
~/Library/Folding@home/FAHlog.txt
and
~/Library/Folding@home/work/logfile_0?.txt

Maybe then I can see if anything's screwed up.

pimentoLoaf
Aug 20, 2002, 04:18 PM
Can't remember all the vi commands? This book will help (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/vi6/).

Have been using it since I had Mandrake Linux on my PC (dual-boot with WindowsME).

mc68k
Aug 20, 2002, 04:33 PM
I tried using vi but its been soooo damn long I was having problems remembering all the silly key commands.

I always use emacs as an editor because I can't remember all the stupid vi craziness. There are enhanced versions of vi such as stevie though....eeek.

…and elvis, vile, etc. thanks to all those crazy unix nerds.

I would recommend the book that pimentoLoaf suggests. I read it through on a recent 9-day vacation an have learned lots. I have the opposite problem as you guys w/emacs. I was going to suggest vi, but I know of almost no one who can use it properly. :) It is very powerful though.

For example, to get rid of the ^M's at the end of every line you could have typed::%s/.$//gvi does have a lot to remember. I tried emacs and it made me appreciate vi. But the battle will always rage on just like Ford vs. Chevy, etc.

pimentoLoaf
Aug 20, 2002, 04:40 PM
BTW, I've started a new thread asking what systems y'all are using to crunch with. Click the GO button at the bottom of this thread's page to be returned to the Distributed Computing root level.

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 05:28 PM
ah, I should have used emacs, that I'm a little more familliar with. Use to do all my coding in that on Sun Workstations - but that was about 4-5 years ago, I can't believe its been that long.

But its been over an hour and nadda - could something be messed up?

If you've completely left the machine to itself and nothing has happened, maybe there is but not likely.

When vm_stat shows that virtual memory hits are low, things take longer, of course. The PowerBook drives are generally 4200 rpm units so it may take longer too. You saw what I said about the variious machine/drive combinations earlier, right?

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 05:34 PM

…and elvis, vile, etc. thanks to all those crazy unix nerds.

I would recommend the book that pimentoLoaf suggests. I read it through on a recent 9-day vacation an have learned lots. I have the opposite problem as you guys w/emacs. I was going to suggest vi, but I know of almost no one who can use it properly. :) It is very powerful though.

For example, to get rid of the ^M's at the end of every line you could have typed::%s/.$//gvi does have a lot to remember. I tried emacs and it made me appreciate vi. But the battle will always rage on just like Ford vs. Chevy, etc.

:D I would rather use ed than vi, even if vi is a shell for ed. Recently, while using cygwin, I couldn't get vi to work and I resorted to Notepad. Then, the instructor asked me to help other people use vi. :D

My first 32-bit C compiler was Mark Williams C on the Atari ST and they had what they called micro shell and micro emacs. Before Win3.0, I used Epsilon on DOS because it was so close to emacs. Then, there was PerfectWriter on CP/M, which also used the key bindings of emacs. Borland's editor can also be configured that way.

mc68k
Aug 20, 2002, 05:37 PM

:D I would rather use ed than vi, even if vi is a shell for ed. Recently, while using cygwin, I couldn't get vi to work and I resorted to Notepad. vi is a shell for ex. ed seems even more basic than ex. I like vi better than Word, hands down. No formatting, just the way I like it. :)

pimentoLoaf
Aug 21, 2002, 06:52 AM
Those of you who have clicked my F@H name and wondered about that reeeeal early date of my joining, take a lookie here (http://GenomeAtHome.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage.pl?q=ef2000_typhoon).

Sad, though, how I can specify in the Windows F@H how I'd like to generate G@H data but I can only handle F@H on me Mac. :(

(The G@H client is the old DOS program; still works, and I'm crunching a 56-rotamer wu right now from early August; once that's done, it'll back to a p180 that has a 12-day return.)

Mr. Anderson
Aug 21, 2002, 07:59 PM
so after leaving the machine on all night and part of the day I've actually got 41 frames done - it seems to be doing about one frame every 20+ minutes. Hows this compair to some of you others?

D

firewire2001
Aug 21, 2002, 08:40 PM
so after leaving the machine on all night and part of the day I've actually got 41 frames done - it seems to be doing about one frame every 20+ minutes. Hows this compair to some of you others?

D

i seem to get 1 frame ever 14 minutes on my 1ghz machine.. (amd t-bird)...

and sumthing like 25+ minutes on my 400 mhz celeron... ive really not checked much..

-f

bousozoku
Aug 21, 2002, 09:27 PM
My G3/400 is currently doing one every 26 minutes and the dual G4/800 finishes a frame every 7 minutes.

dnte42
Aug 22, 2002, 12:35 AM
Seems I go anywhere from 6 minutes to 20 minutes with my 733. Depends on what else is going on and what protein I'm working on.

pimentoLoaf
Aug 22, 2002, 12:51 PM
It depends on the protein size how fast your system will crunch it. Small proteins, like p606 on my 500mhz g3 iBook right now, take about a day; huge proteins, like p180 on 366mhz mobilePentium II Toshiba will take about 8 days to send back results.

The work units are not like those of SETI wherein the data are utterly consistent (more or less) between one or another.

And the folks at Stanford have some new code that's optimized for Pentiums, dubbed Gromacs, that's being tested right now and should allow for even bigger proteins than p180 to be handled.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 24, 2002, 05:14 PM
Well, I've done 2 now - one for 2 points and one for .6 - the latter was finished in less than a day and it looks like the next one will be just as fast, probably finishing early AM - if I don't use the computer, which I will later.

Is there anyway to tell what the protein is if you're using the terminal version?

So I think I'm hooked and will keep this going as long as possible.

D

mc68k
Aug 24, 2002, 05:34 PM
Is there anyway to tell what the protein is if you're using the terminal version?Here's a sample output from my FAHlog.txt file in my ~/Library/Folding@home subdirectory:

[22:54:28] ..."
[22:54:28] keyfile:
[22:54:28] "#parameters ./opls.prm
[22:54:28] #verbose
[22:54:28] NOVERSION
[22:54:28] ARCHIVE
[22:54:28]
[22:54:28] #cutoff 16.0
[22:54:28] #taper ..."
[22:54:28] - Couldn't get size info for dyn file: work/wudata_05.dyn
[22:54:28] Starting from initial work packet
[22:54:28] Protein: P200_villin
[22:54:28] - Run: 2634022912 (Clone 1291845632, Gen 184549376)
[22:54:28] - Frames Completed: 0, Remaining: 100
[22:54:28] - Dynamic steps required: 500000
[22:54:28] Writing local files:
[22:54:28] parameters work/wudata_05.prm
[22:54:28] - Writing "work/wudata_05.key": (overwrite) successful.
[22:54:28] - Writing "work/wudata_05.xyz": (overwrite)

The bolded part is the protein that you are folding. You can check the info on the protein here (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html)

It is updated hourly with stats like project #, server IP, # of atoms, deadline, credit, and even a brief description of each protein.

Glad to hear you like folding as much as the rest of us. :)

pimentoLoaf
Aug 24, 2002, 06:15 PM
I'm crunching a p145 (which may be a p146, due to an administrative error) and the deadline is 4 days. Alas, my iBook 500 is only at 12% after 18 hours; put another way, my Mac will return the data after the deadline.

Most of the deadlines are based on a 500MHz Celeron PC in the Folding lab. Data returned after the deadline is quite literally thrown away, which seems to me really bad :rolleyes: :confused: :mad: science. Berkeley's SETI never throws out data; if someone doesn't return something after awhile, it sent to someone else.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 24, 2002, 11:12 PM
Is the crunching time counted or the amount of time upon receit of the file? I used my machine quite a lot, so on the first one, it took several days. I'd have to agree that's a waste of processing time. Hopefully future releases of the software fix this.

Is there any where to give suggestions/send feedback?

D

bousozoku
Sep 2, 2002, 01:14 PM
We're still somewhat short on members.

Certainly someone has a nice Mac OS X-compatible machine which could run this in the background. I noticed that Ars Technica has hundreds of members on their team, in contrast to the 86 on MacRumors team.

Anyone wanna show their pride? :)

Mr. Anderson
Sep 3, 2002, 08:27 AM
why don't we put it in our sig - get people interested - with links to our ranking page on folding?

make it one line for simplicity

D

Tiauguinho
Sep 3, 2002, 10:18 AM
Nice idea Dukestreet... Going to put it on my sig right away!

Rower_CPU
Sep 3, 2002, 11:03 AM
You mean you'll have some thing more than just your flossing propaganda in your signature duke? Amazing!;) :p

I'll jump on the bandwagon...

mc68k
Sep 3, 2002, 11:26 AM
I added mine, have you? Show some team spirt fools. :)

Tiauguinho
Sep 3, 2002, 04:14 PM
How do I make my sig like yours? I know only to post the entire adress... Please teach me how to do it...

mc68k
Sep 3, 2002, 04:36 PM
How do I make my sig like yours? I know only to post the entire adress... Please teach me how to do it... Folding (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage.detailed?q=3446)

Pretend your quoting this message and the code will be there instead of the link. I think that's the best way to see it. That's how I learned. :)

bousozoku
Sep 3, 2002, 09:04 PM
Duke...I see you've made some headway with your folding. No longer number 75. :)

Mr. Anderson
Sep 3, 2002, 09:32 PM
Duke...I see you've made some headway with your folding. No longer number 75. :)

ha, well, i updated my old machine to jaguar and got it going so I now have two machines running it a 450 G4 and the 667 TiPB

not fantastic, but hey, its working ok so far - i'm 51st!

D

bousozoku
Sep 3, 2002, 10:39 PM

ha, well, i updated my old machine to jaguar and got it going so I now have two machines running it a 450 G4 and the 667 TiPB

not fantastic, but hey, its working ok so far - i'm 51st!

D

You've bypassed my G3 machine and you're working toward my dual G4. Stop that. :D I'll have to buy more memory or something to stay ahead. :D

mc68k
Sep 3, 2002, 11:28 PM
not fantastic, but hey, its working ok so far - i'm 51st!Good work! Try to pass up that overclocker. :)

Mr. Anderson
Sep 3, 2002, 11:42 PM
Ha, well, i'm thinking i'm going to be getting a dual 800 or 1Ghz for my sawtooth - that should make more of a difference.

D

bousozoku
Sep 4, 2002, 12:03 AM
Good work! Try to pass up that overclocker. :)

No overclockers here! Maybe that stuff flies where you are, but not in my house. :D

Besides, Jaguar seems to slow down my G3. Probably, it's a lack of memory. Looks like G4 memory isn't too bad right now. :)

mc68k
Sep 4, 2002, 12:09 AM

No overclockers here! Maybe that stuff flies where you are, but not in my house. :D
No, not you. The overclocker that used his name as anti-mac propaganda on our team. :)
Besides, Jaguar seems to slow down my G3. Probably, it's a lack of memory. Looks like G4 memory isn't too bad right now. :) Jaguar runs here on my 9600 fast. Must be lack of mem, slow CPU, or sucky video card.

Tiauguinho
Sep 4, 2002, 05:03 AM
Thanks mc68k for the tip on the signature!

Madamimadam, you are very close to me! Less than one point between us!

bousozoku
Sep 4, 2002, 06:17 AM

No, not you. The overclocker that used his name as anti-mac propaganda on our team. :)
Jaguar runs here on my 9600 fast. Must be lack of mem, slow CPU, or sucky video card.

As usual, the initial developer preview speeded things dramatically and the final product is a bit safer and slower. I'd rather have accurate data somewhat later though. :)

Mr. Anderson
Sep 5, 2002, 11:02 AM
Ok, we've slipped back to 40th place! Damn, that sucks, we made it to 37 for a while. We need more members!

D

Rower_CPU
Sep 5, 2002, 11:07 AM
Our fears about the lab coming up short are starting to bear fruit. We can't monitor the lab the whole time to make sure that the computers are left on at all times...:(

Mr. Anderson
Sep 5, 2002, 01:13 PM
time to get the lable maker out and start putting on the 'Do Not Shut Down The Computer When You Are Finished'

But will the process run in the background if the people log out?

Rower_CPU
Sep 5, 2002, 01:26 PM
No login/out in our lab...the machines are logged in permanently. The students don't need to mount personal folders or any of that.

It's just a matter of telling the new lab aides what to do...and what not to...

mc68k
Sep 5, 2002, 06:30 PM
We're running graphical in the systray. It is a lot better than the console, since people quit out of that more frequently. The majority of people won't know what the little red protein symbolizes, so we should be safe there.

We came in today to find most of them turned off! :eek: :eek: :eek:

bousozoku
Sep 6, 2002, 08:07 PM
Ok, we've slipped back to 40th place! Damn, that sucks, we made it to 37 for a while. We need more members!

D

I know. I keep trying to find a way to boost my machines without buying memory but nothing really helps. Besides that, and being able to return results, I haven't had much luck lately.

It seems as though their integration sequence is manual. Everything that went over right before the Labor Day weekend just sat until after the holday. :(

mc68k
Sep 6, 2002, 08:40 PM
Our lab will be down for the weekend. If you see our ouput a little lower than normal, that's why.

If the Dells were macs, we wouldn't be having this little problem.

bousozoku
Sep 6, 2002, 10:08 PM
I'm going to stop coming here. I don't know whether I'll still add my CPU cycles to the team or not.

Thanks to those of you who've been friendly.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 6, 2002, 10:28 PM
I'm going to stop coming here. I don't know whether I'll still add my CPU cycles to the team or not.

Thanks to those of you who've been friendly.

what! You're leaving the folding team or MacRumors? Why?

D

mc68k
Sep 6, 2002, 10:32 PM

Thanks to those of you who've been friendly. Pleasure having you on the team. Maybe you can help us out again someday?

bousozoku
Sep 6, 2002, 11:10 PM
I feel very much a pain to everyone here right now. I don't feel I belong so I will stop coming to macrumors.com.

pimentoLoaf
Sep 7, 2002, 12:08 PM
Stop overreacting -- it's so immature.

pc_convert?
Sep 7, 2002, 01:01 PM
I've decided to contribute my spare CPU cycles to folding seeing as the SETI project is winding down.

I would start now but the website seems to be down...:(

Mr. Anderson
Sep 7, 2002, 03:02 PM
glad to see more people getting on board - congrats pc-convert

but bousozoku - what in the hell are you talking about?

pimentoLoaf
Sep 8, 2002, 11:42 AM
Seems I've been crunching for a whole year...

Mr. Anderson
Sep 8, 2002, 04:32 PM
wow, an aniversary, congrats. where did you get those stats?

D

mc68k
Sep 8, 2002, 10:19 PM
i don't think those dates are accurate

pimentoLoaf
Sep 9, 2002, 12:04 AM
Now that I think about it...

I got my iBook three days before 9/11, which is about right. But I was crunching Genome@Home data with my PC a few months before that, I believe.

Must do some spirited scrounging of my download folder and other places.

---

Where did I get those stats? Goto the MR team page and click on yer name -- THEN BOOKMARK IT. For my stats, click my signature below.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 10, 2002, 10:36 AM
well, the downward cycle continues - team rank now at 41.

What was our high? 38, 37?

Hopefully we will get more members, we're still below 100.

D

Rower_CPU
Sep 10, 2002, 10:56 AM
well, the downward cycle continues - team rank now at 41.

What was our high? 38, 37?

Hopefully we will get more members, we're still below 100.

D

Thanks for that ray of sunshine, duke, that'll really get people joining in droves. :rolleyes:

Actually, since our lab is back up now, our numbers should hopefully get back up to 2000 a week. There are only like 3 or 4 teams behind us that show any threat of passing...but not for some time. Let's keep the drive going and shoot for passing MacNN, they are only a few thousand in front of us.:D

http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/

jelloshotsrule
Sep 10, 2002, 12:22 PM
keep in mind that statsman and folding.stanford.org always have a 1 rank difference... don't think that's going on here. just reminding.

the key is that i now have my dual going with console. that will bring us up to top 20 in a couple hours

Mr. Anderson
Sep 10, 2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

the key is that i now have my dual going with console. that will bring us up to top 20 in a couple hours

ha - well, i've been cranking away on both my machines and I've put up over 30 points so far. Not much in the big picture, but still, all of it helps.

but does anyone have any good ideas on how to attract new members? we need something.

D

jelloshotsrule
Sep 10, 2002, 12:43 PM
a main page posting perhaps?

i still don't think most people know what it is

someone could ask arn

mc68k
Sep 10, 2002, 12:46 PM
I think it only appeals to certain people because of the work involved in understanding and setting up.

That and most people don't know the first thing about proteins or distributed computing for that matter.

It would be a tough task indeed…will ponder.

jelloshotsrule
Sep 10, 2002, 01:01 PM
one could almost advertise more as a game than as a helpful thing. i mean, look how big fantasy games are and such

for people with one processor it's easy enough to use the folding at home graphical app and just hide it i think

hmmmmm. offer em free beer?

pimentoLoaf
Oct 8, 2002, 06:06 PM
I certainly moved up in the world -- I've reached 26th place.

But, with 115 active processors, we're still 41st in the overall team rankings.

:(

bousozoku
Oct 8, 2002, 07:45 PM
In the last few weeks (four since I started two processes on one machine), I've turned in over 90 points on my dual machine and 25 on the other, but it just doesn't seem to be enough.

I've started work on an application to monitor the progress, as a first step. Later, hopefully, I can make it into a control centre which will make it easy enough for anyone to want to use. Maybe someone has an idea as to how it could be captivating enough to bring everyone to want to use it.

Over Achiever
Oct 9, 2002, 02:08 PM
I'm folding a six point protein...problem is, I think I just passed the 8 day deadline...:( Should I continue folding (I'm at 35%) and try to send it anyway? Sorry folks, but my 550 MHz AMD K6II ain't the fastest :o ...I'm trying tho'...

Falleron
Oct 9, 2002, 03:08 PM
I am also doing a 6 point protein. They really do take some processing! I have being cruncing it on and off for about 3 days + have only got about half way through it!

pimentoLoaf
Oct 9, 2002, 04:08 PM
1 - Never run the client as a screensaver, only as a background, always-running task;

2 - Run the computer overnight with the client doing it's thing;

3 - On Macs, the graphical version seems to add only a half-hour to the processing time;

4 - If yer running games or Photoshop, turn the client off. Otherwise, you'll go insane. :eek:

Over Achiever
Oct 9, 2002, 05:00 PM
1. I have no idea how you'd run it as a screensaver, nor do I want to know why.

2. Its definitely been running overnight.

3. I'm using the PC version...graphical is on but minimized most of the time.

4. understood :) I don't have photoshop, nor any games :eek:

Looks like I just have a slow computer eh?

pc_convert?
Oct 10, 2002, 12:34 PM
This has probably been covered elsewhere but...

How do find out the points value of the protein you are crunching?

mc68k
Oct 10, 2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by pc_convert?
This has probably been covered elsewhere but...

How do find out the points value of the protein you are crunching? Project summary (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) (directly from the servers, updated hourly)

pimentoLoaf
Oct 10, 2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever

...Sorry folks, but my 550 MHz AMD K6II ain't the fastest :o ...I'm trying tho'...

My Toshiba 4080xCDT w/Mobile Pentium II @ 366MHz takes about six days to crunch one of those p146's (mislabeled a 145) -- the six-pointers you describe. p180's take about 4 days, whilst p137-p145 take around a day.

My iBook requires about half-again as much time for each work unit.

rugby
Oct 15, 2002, 09:00 PM
Well, I should be able to bring my 5 Dells online this week, maybe next. THey've been sitting here waiting for KVM switches so I can hook them up. I'm also going to upgrade my dual Duron to a Dual XP1600+ and OC the hell out of it to at least 1.5 or 1.6ghz. Sweetness.

bousozoku
Oct 15, 2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by rugby
Well, I should be able to bring my 5 Dells online this week, maybe next. THey've been sitting here waiting for KVM switches so I can hook them up. I'm also going to upgrade my dual Duron to a Dual XP1600+ and OC the hell out of it to at least 1.5 or 1.6ghz. Sweetness.

That's excellent! Be careful with the overclocking.

rugby
Oct 16, 2002, 12:10 PM

That's excellent! Be careful with the overclocking.

I'm a trained professional...;)

Actually, my mobo won't support overclocking so I have to use CPUFsb to manually change the fsb. I wish someone would write software to do that on the new G4's.

The overclockers on our folding list were a bunch of bungs from overclockers.com. Since I am a senior member on that forum I kindly told them to stop otherwise I would take it up with other seniors/mods at that forum. It was during an anti-mac debate they came up with this crazy idea to show our team here how big and bad they were.

mc68k
Oct 16, 2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by rugby
The overclockers on our folding list were a bunch of bungs from overclockers.com. Since I am a senior member on that forum I kindly told them to stop otherwise I would take it up with other seniors/mods at that forum. It was during an anti-mac debate they came up with this crazy idea to show our team here how big and bad they were. I saw that *****, a while ago when it was happening. It just wasn't our list, they hit other mac-related teams as well.

Just helps our team and shows how immature some of those ~13 yr old overclockers are.

Thanks for the smack-down. :)

Are u on xlr8yourmac too?

rugby
Oct 16, 2002, 02:48 PM
I saw that *****, a while ago when it was happening. It just wasn't our list, they hit other mac-related teams as well.

Just helps our team and shows how immature some of those ~13 yr old overclockers are.

Thanks for the smack-down. :)

Are u on xlr8yourmac too?

I am everywhere...;)

Yeah, same nick there too.

Falleron
Oct 19, 2002, 07:59 AM
I have one thing that is annoying me a little! When I started folding I was getting 6 point units. However, for the last 5/6 units I keep getting given units worth a score of 0.7!! I would much rather have a larger unit so I did not have to connect all of the time. You would have thought that a Dual 1Ghz would be given a larger protein to fold?

rugby
Oct 19, 2002, 08:09 AM
I jumped up the ranks very quickly at first because I was folding with my PC. All my PC's get higher counting proteins than my Mac does. Macs fold pathetically compared to cheap pc's. I'm getting a pair of XP1600's for my dual amd board to replace 2 1.2ghz Durons and I should rise the ranks even faster. My G4/733 at work folds as fast as possible, but it still is dog slow compared to my cheap PC.

Dual 1.2ghz Duron-$60
Tyan s2460 mb-$150

Oh well, my Pc doesn't run OS X or FCP so it's moot.

bousozoku
Oct 19, 2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
I have one thing that is annoying me a little! When I started folding I was getting 6 point units. However, for the last 5/6 units I keep getting given units worth a score of 0.7!! I would much rather have a larger unit so I did not have to connect all of the time. You would have thought that a Dual 1Ghz would be given a larger protein to fold?

I get the same mix whether it's the G3/400 or the dual 800. It just doesn't seem to matter. At least, the dual processors get through the mess a little faster, not 4 times as fast though. :(

mc68k
Oct 20, 2002, 06:44 PM
You would have thought that a Dual 1Ghz would be given a larger protein to fold? I think the protein assignment is arbitrary. The benchmarking probably determines a pool of eligible proteins for a specific situation, then somehow you end up with one.

If you don't like the one you receive, you can always delete and try to get another one that you like more.

pimentoLoaf
Oct 20, 2002, 06:58 PM
Read the detailed protein science pages and you'll learn they're always dreaming up new ways of analyzing the same things under different environments. If their research needs the results of a particualr thing RIGHT NOW!!!!!, then even slower processors will get large-atom-number sequences.

Their science determines the proteins we get, not our processors -- though I could be wrong.

Falleron
Oct 21, 2002, 05:14 AM
WOW, have you seen this protein?

pAla7 = credit 18.00 (deadline 21 days)!!!

Thats going to take some crunching!

teabgs
Oct 21, 2002, 06:42 AM
There should be a way to determine what size unit you get.....I've been cranking the units out....but they're not worth that much....currently Ive doen 25 units and I only have a little over 27 points....

Falleron
Oct 23, 2002, 09:53 AM
Anybody know what this message is (from command line)?

- Couldn't get size info for dyn file: work/wudata_01.dyn
Starting from initial work packet

Has this anything to do with the fact I keep getting units worth 0.6?

dnte42
Oct 23, 2002, 11:33 AM
I dunno, I get that all the time and a lot of my units aare bigger than .6'ers. I do seem to get streaks of them somethimes.

pc_convert?
Oct 23, 2002, 02:47 PM
We're gaing on Team MacNN! Only 290.1 points in it. Well be back in position 40 soon enough.

Keep crunching.

mc68k
Oct 23, 2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by pc_convert?
We're gaing on Team MacNN! Only 290.1 points in it. Well be back in position 40 soon enough.EUGLUG isn't far behind either. The Univ of Alabama will pass soon, so two steps forward then 1 step back. :)

Our output has been very steady lately.

Falleron
Oct 23, 2002, 03:03 PM
Just not high enough though.

madamimadam
Oct 24, 2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks mc68k for the tip on the signature!

Madamimadam, you are very close to me! Less than one point between us!

To those who thought they could take over my position... watch out, I have reoptimised to take advantage of the CPU cycles I have been wasting and I am out to reclaim my place.
:)

bousozoku
Oct 24, 2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam

To those who thought they could take over my position... watch out, I have reoptimised to take advantage of the CPU cycles I have been wasting and I am out to reclaim my place.

Kewl...challenges. Of course, I'm only at # 20 right now. Maybe a few more weeks... :D

Falleron
Oct 27, 2002, 05:57 PM
This is a little annoying! I cant get another unit!

Tiauguinho
Oct 27, 2002, 06:09 PM
Madamimadam... LOL :)

You've already passed me... seems that I'll have to activate both processors on my machine... then we'll see...

teabgs
Oct 27, 2002, 07:47 PM

what position? 45? :eek:

hehehe.....ah, nobody has noticed how I've been swiftly moving up the ranks in the last 2 1/2 weeks since I started....you're lucky that the script to use both processors makes my machine act a little strange after a while....cause I only have one active processor because of that.

I've been moving up pretty fast...Goin for the top 20 in another 3 weeks or so....we'll see....if they stop giving me little units I'll get up there quickly...

Rower_CPU
Oct 27, 2002, 07:55 PM
Your new machine is serving you well, tea'. Glad to see some good numbers coming out of that "ultimate" configuration. :D

mc68k
Oct 27, 2002, 08:15 PM
We should overcome team euglug in a few hours. :)

Then our ascension will turn into decension, since a teams a few places back have higher output. But we should be in the top 40 for a while.

So goes the distributed computing experience. :)

madamimadam
Oct 27, 2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by teabgs

what position? 45? :eek:

hehehe.....ah, nobody has noticed how I've been swiftly moving up the ranks in the last 2 1/2 weeks since I started....you're lucky that the script to use both processors makes my machine act a little strange after a while....cause I only have one active processor because of that.

I've been moving up pretty fast...Goin for the top 20 in another 3 weeks or so....we'll see....if they stop giving me little units I'll get up there quickly...

That's a bit harsh.... I am at 16... the one at 45 was a mistake I made when I typed in the wrong name and let it run for a while

teabgs
Oct 27, 2002, 08:31 PM

That's a bit harsh.... I am at 16... the one at 45 was a mistake I made when I typed in the wrong name and let it run for a while

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. Didnt mean too...only some friendly banter....my bad.

and uh....16, eh? um.....aiight....I think you win there then.... :(

Sorry for the confusion.....dont hate me :D

Anyway, we're all on the same side.....even the other teams that are gonna pass us.....

madamimadam
Oct 27, 2002, 08:39 PM
Don't worry dude, I took it all fun.... I should have put a smilie or something in there.

I was going great for Top 15 but then I finished setting up my new website and I took F@H off the Oracle server and halved its capacity on the Web Server.

Originally posted by teabgs

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. Didnt mean too...only some friendly banter....my bad.

and uh....16, eh? um.....aiight....I think you win there then.... :(

Sorry for the confusion.....dont hate me :D

Anyway, we're all on the same side.....even the other teams that are gonna pass us.....

pimentoLoaf
Nov 4, 2002, 01:53 PM
Both my systems have been rather constipated these past few days -- they're slogging through the misnamed p145_1L2Yunf protein that should be given to only fast processors.

They must need the results for this thing bad that every available processor is set to the task.

Over Achiever
Nov 4, 2002, 02:34 PM
EUGLUG isn't far behind either. The Univ of Alabama will pass soon, so two steps forward then 1 step back. :)

Our output has been very steady lately.

Alabama passed this morning/late last night.

Back down to #40 :)

Falleron
Nov 5, 2002, 04:35 AM
Both my systems have been rather constipated these past few days -- they're slogging through the misnamed p145_1L2Yunf protein that should be given to only fast processors.

They must need the results for this thing bad that every available processor is set to the task.
I have had 2 of these in a row now. They take a long time to crunch even on my 1Ghz G4.

Over Achiever
Nov 5, 2002, 08:27 AM

They take a long time to crunch even on my 1Ghz G4.

Jus imagine how long it takes on my 200 MHz :eek: :eek: Pentium MMX!!!;)

teabgs
Nov 5, 2002, 08:32 AM
I just got another one of them. They take a while on my dual 1.25...probably about 17ish hours....depending....I usually run FAH when im not here so I dont know for sure, but I can imagine them taking several days on an older machine.....yuck!

pimentoLoaf
Nov 5, 2002, 04:04 PM
Just got back home... this morning, my 500Mhz g3 was 86% through it, and now it's at %98. Being online, running Yahoo Messenger and osX Mail will slow processing a bit.

bousozoku
Nov 5, 2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever

Jus imagine how long it takes on my 200 MHz :eek: :eek: Pentium MMX!!!;)

I can imagine. They take 110 hours on my G3/400 which isn't otherwise occupied and about 75 hours on each processor of my dual 800.

Falleron
Nov 5, 2002, 05:55 PM
I am only estimating here, but, I think those proteins take about 30-40 hours on my Dual 1Ghz G4. However, as we know, folding only uses 1 processor per instance.

Tomasz
Nov 5, 2002, 06:14 PM
30-40 hours? Wow. I am running folding only on my PC (my macs... wouldn't be able to handle folding) and protein 146 takes approximately 16 hours.

I am shocked by the time it takes on the mac. Is folding optimized for PCs?

Tomasz

bousozoku
Nov 5, 2002, 06:53 PM
Falleron:

Per instance of what? Certainly not one per machine.

Tomasz:

It's not that folding is so much optimised for PCs, but Motorola's processors are just pathetic and the compilers within GCC have been only acceptable. If they would re-compile with the v3.1 instead of 2.95, the executable code should realise about a 15 percent gain in speed, we are told.

Falleron
Nov 16, 2002, 05:20 AM
Just saw that we reached 37 Place on Folding stats. However, the team page seems to be out of date (I read this on another page).

bousozoku
Nov 16, 2002, 09:06 AM
I think the team was in positon # 37 around June or July.

Tomasz
Nov 16, 2002, 10:07 AM
When I saw we were 37th at first... I thought somebody must have hijacked a university for the computers :eek: ... I was wrong... it was just a rearrangment of team catagories into 2 kinds.

I think what Falleron saw was the list of the top 100 teams. And yes, we ARE at 37th... sort of. They have assigned Google and anynomous, i beleive, to a seperate catagory of teams. I think that technically we are still at 39th even after the modifications to team placements.... :(

Or then again, I could be wrong... (little sleep, and much work don't mix properly....)

Tomasz

mc68k
Nov 16, 2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Tomasz
.. I thought somebody must have hijacked a university for the computers :eek:That's precisely what I do. :)

Tomasz
Nov 16, 2002, 01:00 PM
That's putting them to use!

Better than having them sit with nobody on them for hours upon hours (like tons of the ones at my school....). Every library I go to on campus has tons of free computers, except when midterms/finals are near.... just waiting for folding to be installed (i think i'm going to try to find out if they will allow it).

But do you really do it without permission? Or does anybody care at your school?

By the way, what's your school?

Tomasz

mc68k
Nov 16, 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Tomasz
But do you really do it without permission? Or does anybody care at your school?

By the way, what's your school?I go to SDSU.

Absolutely. I work at a lab, where it is okay because I'm one of the techs. The other two labs in the library people mostly use m$ word and check their hotmail. The staff over there is really inept. No security on the computers. All they have are cameras, but I think that's to make it look like they're watching (we have some in our labs too :)).

Seriously, I don't even think they know (I only put it on a fraction of the computers). If they did, there's so much traffic in and out of those labs that they would have slim chances of having a clue who it is. The best plan is a good security system on the computers. If it's not on there, then they're inviting trouble. Asking for permission is a waste of time and it gives away inent too.

I wouldn't encourage the practice (not publicly) but I wouldn't discourage it either. IMO folding is positive in every aspect.

Over Achiever
Dec 3, 2002, 03:13 PM
Climbing up the rankings! Up to number 36! :eek: :D

Me, I'm making my way up the rankings as well ;) (within the team)

-OA

mc68k
Dec 3, 2002, 03:29 PM
the outlook here:

eMac lab of 30+ comes up during winter break

Modeemi we pass next week

immediate threats:
Tweakers australia
Sudhian Media
OCF Folding@Home team

so we should stay in top 40 indefinitely :)
with more help we can rule the world…oh wait

teabgs
Dec 3, 2002, 06:25 PM
the outlook here:

so we should stay in top 40 indefinitely :)
with more help we can rule the world…oh wait

....muahahahahaha

:cool:

mkubal
Dec 3, 2002, 09:20 PM
I would love to join the team. In fact, I've tried to do so on two seperate occaisions. But both times I've downloaded and tried to get the program running it seems to just stall out.

Let me clear a few things up before you reply:

1. Yes, I'm using OS X.2.2

2. I'm running a dual 533 so it should be plenty fast.

3. I'm running on a cable modem.

4. I've been using Apple computers since the beginning and I've been using OS X since it was in beta. So to say that I know what I'm doing would be selling me short (Definitely not a beginner so spare me the "is the cable modem on" type questions ;) ).

Here's the deal. I run the thing per the instructions (in the terminal) provided and it seems to sit their download the original material required to begin work forever. In fact I left it running overnight and it still was downloading in the morning. The cable modem is pretty snappy here so it's definitely not that. Actually I don't remember exactly how the install process worked, but trust me, it was in a perpetual state of downloading.

Help me out here.

BTW, I'll be awake all night studying for a philosophy exam at 7 AM. I'll try to answer your replies, but I might be busy.

Matt

teabgs
Dec 3, 2002, 09:28 PM
try the gui version. Thats what I have to do because via terminal kinda doesnt work properly for me....if that doesnt work, maybe theres an issue..

mkubal
Dec 3, 2002, 09:33 PM
If you're referring to the screen saver version I've tried it as well. Same thing. Perpetual download.

Any other ideas?

BTW, I've never had any problems running other software. I've never had a problem with the OS either (and I mean never, except for maybe the beta, but that doesn't count). That's what's so frustrating about it. It just seems to be random and without reason.

Matt

teabgs
Dec 3, 2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by mkubal
If you're referring to the screen saver version I've tried it as well. Same thing. Perpetual download.

Any other ideas?

Matt

its not the screen saver either. Its a graphical client....

Over Achiever
Dec 3, 2002, 09:50 PM
Welcome, and thanks for trying to join the team.

It shouldn't download forever...theres only about 3-5 MB to download initially. I had dial-up and it took say...5-10 minutes at most.

All I can say is delete every trace of the program, redownload, and install...but I'm sure you've already tried that :(

I dunno what to say...I hope it works somehow ;)

mkubal
Dec 3, 2002, 09:53 PM
For whatever reason I downloaded the graphical client and it started working as soon as I ran it.

For right now I'll think of it as divine intervention, but I swear I had tried all the versions before and none of them worked. I guess you'll just have to trust me on that one.

Hmmm. I've been hanging at 7% progress for a few minutes now. It'll get to work if it knows what's good for it. But if it doesn't I'll surely come back in here and cry about it.

Regardless, I'm up and running for team macrumors (I Think). And it's about freakin time.

Thanks teabgs.

Matt

bousozoku
Dec 3, 2002, 10:08 PM
mkubal:

When you were trying to run the command line version, were you trying to run two copies at once? Did it complain about a bad core and try to download a new one, followed by a message about a bad work unit...et infinitum?

I found that when i started them both at the same time, configured them within minutes of each other, they conflicted for some reason. I found that staggering the two by 15 minutes and making sure that the machine i.d. was different for each did the trick.

mkubal
Dec 3, 2002, 10:09 PM
UPDATE:

It moved! I saw it!

It went from 7 to 8 and it only took about 10 minutes!

A whole percent! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Matt

mkubal
Dec 3, 2002, 10:11 PM
bousozoku:

I was only running one and it never gave me any errors, it just sat there.

But the graphical one is working now and I'll take what I can get.

Matt

mc68k
Dec 3, 2002, 10:12 PM
Hmmm. I've been hanging at 7% progress for a few minutes now. It'll get to work if it knows what's good for it. But if it doesn't I'll surely come back in here and cry about it.The speed of completing your work unit depends on the protein you receive.

But all of them take a while, so ticks on the percent bar usually take a decent amount of time. Folding doesn't take advantage of multiple processors, so you'll probably see it switching from one processor to the next in CPU Monitor.

Be patient, and thanks for helping our team. We do appreciate it. :)

pimentoLoaf
Dec 4, 2002, 12:22 AM
Interesting question, though: Which graphic image runs the fastest -- Alpha Trace, Wireframe, Ball & Stick, or Spacefilled?

Hmmm? Hmmm?

:confused:

Rower_CPU
Dec 4, 2002, 12:32 AM
Interesting question, though: Which graphic image runs the fastest -- Alpha Trace, Wireframe, Ball & Stick, or Spacefilled?

Hmmm? Hmmm?

:confused:

I always choose Ball&Stick, but if the app is hidden/minimized it's all the same. :)

teabgs
Dec 4, 2002, 01:16 AM

Thanks teabgs.

Matt

hey no prob bro. glad I could help out. and glad you got it working.

we just need more and more computers....then we're all good....

if the rumors are true, we'll be getting all our G4's replaced come summer and FINALLY moving to OSX at work. I'm 99% sure my boss will let me run F@h on them, I know its a ways off but if so hopefully around may/June I can have about 30 dual 1.4 G4's (or whatever we get)...lets hope folding will start to take advantage of the mutliple CPU's....

I like wireframe the best of all the images but I never have the app show, it just takes up space.

....almost out of the 30's for me....Im at about 95% now of a 9 Pointer I believe....

Over Achiever
Dec 9, 2002, 09:45 PM
Ahh...we're about to be overtaken by another team within the hour... :(

mc68k
Dec 9, 2002, 09:48 PM
some teams are out of our league.

our outlook (based on current standings and some future information) is #3 for mac teams.

we'll need some serious ouput to start making dents in other teams.

howard
Dec 9, 2002, 10:13 PM
i just joined last night...i've had folding on for almost a day and its just about 50%...it takes so long on my 700mhz ibook!!...so i heard someone say they're on a 9 pointer?...i'm new here...does that mean that each protein has a different number of points?? so you can complete 1 protein and get more than one point from it?? also...how long will it take for me to show up on the macrumors team??

dnte42
Dec 9, 2002, 10:16 PM
The points are awarded based on how long the protien takes to fold. I've had a 5-day protien before (worth 9 or more, I think) and some 3-4 protein days (where everything is around 1 point), all depends on what is going on. The stats page is updated daily and perhaps more often? (I can't remember)

Welcome to the team, btw.

mc68k
Dec 9, 2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by howard
i just joined last night...first off, thanks for joining our team. every bit helps. :)i'm new here...does that mean that each protein has a different number of points??technically, they're not whole proteins, but rather small parts called work units (WUs). each WU has a score directly associated to the amount of processor time it takes to complete it.so you can complete 1 protein and get more than one point from it?? yes. look here (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) to see how much your current protein is worth, as well as some other info.also...how long will it take for me to show up on the macrumors team?? usually a day or two after you send your work unit in. Look here for your name:

Stanford's stat site (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage.detailed?q=3446)
Statsman's more detailed site (http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/3446.html)

The key is pateince, as sometimes the servers that accept the work units are down or the protein takes days to complete.

happy folding :) :)

bousozoku
Dec 9, 2002, 10:35 PM
Sometimes like now, one server (.119) is down and off the list entirely....eeek. :(

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by howard
i just joined last night...i've had folding on for almost a day and its just about 50%...it takes so long on my 700mhz ibook!!...so i heard someone say they're on a 9 pointer?...i'm new here...does that mean that each protein has a different number of points?? so you can complete 1 protein and get more than one point from it?? also...how long will it take for me to show up on the macrumors team??

You are added to the team after your first submission.

Over Achiever
Dec 11, 2002, 08:10 AM
Ahh...about to be passed again...back down to #38/40 :(

Falleron
Dec 11, 2002, 09:00 AM
You passed me a while back! :(

Over Achiever
Dec 11, 2002, 11:43 AM
You passed me a while back! :(

lol...i meant the team macrumors, not me personally :p

pimentoLoaf
Dec 11, 2002, 11:52 AM
My PC downloaded something strange the other day -- new F@H system software along with the data unit. And it crunches weirder too: after only two-thirds done with a data unit, it has to send.

mc68k
Dec 11, 2002, 11:57 AM
if you don't specify a F@H core in the advances preferences, then it might give you a different core that does strange things. you can change your setup by doing [pathname]OSX-3.12 -config, then going through the setup again.

i've never had these "strange" cores and i specify F@H core specifically every time. rower_cpu has had this problem, so I know what you're talking about.

Chad4Mac
Dec 11, 2002, 06:13 PM
I just joined!

I'm running a 863 mhz PIII 24/7. Soon to have a 1.8 P4 running 24/7 for the team as well.

I have been Folding for several weeks under "No Team Designation" and have a score of 70.06 with 13 WUs completed.

I just changed the team id # to 3446. Will the stats transfer over?

I hope!

Chad4Mac

Rower_CPU
Dec 11, 2002, 06:14 PM
Sorry, the stats stay with the team you did them for. You're starting from scratch.

Over Achiever
Dec 11, 2002, 06:17 PM
My PC downloaded something strange the other day -- new F@H system software along with the data unit. And it crunches weirder too: after only two-thirds done with a data unit, it has to send.

I think it downloaded the Genome @ Home core...make sure you have in the configuration panel under the advanced tab at the bottom...remember to pick folding at home ;)

Chad4Mac
Dec 11, 2002, 06:19 PM
*****!

We'll at least I started now and not later...

*****, though.

chad4mac

bousozoku
Dec 11, 2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Chad4Mac
*****!

We'll at least I started now and not later...

*****, though.

chad4mac

Yeah really. I had 274 points when I switched. They're still out there, but I wish that I could have brought them to this team. :)

Great to have you new people with us!

Chad4Mac
Dec 12, 2002, 10:17 AM
Just installed folding@home on a P4 at home. It's running 24/7...

Add one more to the list...

Chad4Mac

Chad4Mac
Dec 16, 2002, 09:52 AM
Can anyone tell me if I am doing this right?

I have two computers running Folding. The Username and Team name are the same on each computer. Do they count as one?

Should I configure in a different way?

I really want to make sure that Team MacRumors is getting the credit...

Thanks

Chad4Mac

dnte42
Dec 16, 2002, 12:04 PM
Far as I know, you're fine. The stats will show you as having two active processors and your points should be consolidated.

Rower_CPU
Dec 16, 2002, 12:15 PM
Chad4Mac-
Sounds like everything is set up fine to me.

You're on the team page now with 5 WUs. :D

Chad4Mac
Dec 17, 2002, 05:48 PM
I'm a little confused with how the Folding@home utilizes the processor of a computer.

If I have several computers running Folding@home only (I mean absolutely nothing else on the computer; I'll never use them for anything else), will the Folding@home application utilize a majority of the processor? Or, by default, does it only utilize a certian (max) about?

It's like I want to turn up the juice and get these processors really humming.

Chad4Mac

dnte42
Dec 17, 2002, 05:50 PM
The folding app will automatically take up any of the processor's free cycles, so there isn't really much you can do...

pimentoLoaf
Dec 17, 2002, 05:54 PM
I have noticed, however, that F@H doesn't eat processor cycles as aggressively as SETI@Home; while typing this message, S@H causes the letters to lag a bit after my typing them, whereas F@H doesn't.

My system? iceBook 500 w/640mb RAM. (Mo' RAM is better.)

mc68k
Dec 17, 2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Chad4Mac
I'm a little confused with how the Folding@home utilizes the processor of a computer.Every process on a Unix machine has a value associated with it. -20 is the lowest priority and 20 has the highest priority.

In a simple sense the machine has a priority queue in which to execute instructions in any given cycle. The processes with a -20 priority will get executed first, while the ones with 20 are executed last.

From what I've heard, F@H has a priority of 20 associated with it. That means any other process will bump it out of the way for CPU time if the need arises. It always wants to use 100% CPU, but it only gets the difference of the leftover cycles from the lower priority processes.

This why F@H is said to take up idle CPU, since the instructions for F@H are the very last in the queue. Trying to re-prioritize the process/binary seems to have no effect on WU speed from my experiences. I've never used SETI, so I can't compare it to F@H.

bousozoku
Dec 17, 2002, 09:25 PM

Trying to re-prioritize the process/binary seems to have no effect on WU speed from my experiences. I've never used SETI, so I can't compare it to F@H.

From what I understand, in the configuration, you can assign the priority to folding@home. If you've been doing it another way, it's probably reset it, for your convenience. I've always left the default since I don't want it to affect the machine greatly and, when I'm gone, it gets all the CPU time it needs.

Chad4Mac
Dec 17, 2002, 09:40 PM
Cool.

Thanks for the help guys! I guess I'm doing it right...

Chad4Mac

pimentoLoaf
Jan 9, 2003, 02:19 AM
Neato! First post of the NEW NEW NEW year!

Anyway...

My PC is working thru p621_trpzip1_nc_ext, and instead of xx/100, it reads xx/400, and I don't understand why.

Any ideas about this?

Over Achiever
Jan 9, 2003, 08:19 PM
It just means that it does more steps...I've been folding xxx/200 proteins lately.

acearchie
May 24, 2008, 07:25 AM
Ok thought I would dig up this old old old post! And ask whether people were still folding and what sort of performance they were getting...

Me personally Im on a PS3 and getting about 0.01158 S/Frame and 150.03 NS/Day

Everybody else?

Thanks

iShater
May 24, 2008, 11:00 PM
Ok thought I would dig up this old old old post! And ask whether people were still folding and what sort of performance they were getting...

Me personally Im on a PS3 and getting about 0.01158 S/Frame and 150.03 NS/Day

Everybody else?

Thanks

I started back on it again last week, and just made it back into the top 1k for the MR team. However, I don't like running my systems 24/7, so I expect my contribution will slow down. Not sure what kind of performance I am getting.

gotzero
May 25, 2008, 07:49 PM
I am running a C2D mini that I use a home server 24/7, and getting good SMP performance out of it, and a C2D MBP during most of the week since I got an EEE that I take with me to work instead every day.

I requested to get my work machines online, but that has not gotten anywhere so far.

juanster
Jul 30, 2010, 02:12 PM
so im guessing this is dea dnow? if not someone let me know i can help with my new ps3

twoodcc
Jul 30, 2010, 03:58 PM
so im guessing this is dea dnow? if not someone let me know i can help with my new ps3

this is not dead. you can help with your ps3. join team #3446

juanster
Aug 2, 2010, 10:56 PM
this is not dead. you can help with your ps3. join team #3446

cool thanks I will start helping today...

lordonuthin
Aug 3, 2010, 05:54 PM
everyone go out and buy a new folding rig and maybe we could keep bitGAMER at bay for a while longer, as it is we have about 30 more days at #58 position (http://kakaostats.com/tsum.php?t=3446):( which we have held for most of this year. Oh well, maybe not :o The good news is in about 84 days we should overtake Portugal@Folding which will put us back in the 58th spot :D

lordonuthin
Aug 3, 2010, 06:04 PM
cool thanks I will start helping today...

Thank you, we need the help!

SciFrog
Aug 4, 2010, 10:11 AM
Any idea what a 12 core 2.93Ghz would yield on a 2685 bigadv?
100k PPD?

twoodcc
Aug 4, 2010, 11:29 AM
Any idea what a 12 core 2.93Ghz would yield on a 2685 bigadv?
100k PPD?

I'm not sure. I think a 2.66 12 core would get about 80-85k ppd though

Tharian
Aug 4, 2010, 02:55 PM
That's amazing. I feel like I'm doing something wrong…. my 2.4 macbook is only getting ~500 points per WU (which takes ~30 hours to complete!).

-d

twoodcc
Aug 4, 2010, 04:20 PM
That's amazing. I feel like I'm doing something wrong…. my 2.4 macbook is only getting ~500 points per WU (which takes ~30 hours to complete!).

-d

are you just running the client in system preferences? or are you running the terminal client?

Tharian
Aug 4, 2010, 04:24 PM
are you just running the client in system preferences? or are you running the terminal client?

I have it running from system prefs, then I control it through inCrease.

-d

twoodcc
Aug 5, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have it running from system prefs, then I control it through inCrease.

-d

Are you able to give the client any parameters? Like do you type in -smp or -verbosity 9?

SciFrog
Aug 5, 2010, 08:27 AM

-d

Do you have a passkey?
Do you meet the bonus requirements? 30 hours is a little slow but not that much.

Tharian
Aug 5, 2010, 10:26 AM
No to both of you. I simply installed the client that goes in the system preferences pane, then inCrease.

-d

SciFrog
Aug 5, 2010, 12:41 PM
You need a passkey:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

then you need to fold 10 SMP units with 80% return rate.
Very easy to do.

twoodcc
Aug 5, 2010, 01:22 PM
I would advise you to use the terminal client. It's really not hard. Then you can give parameters like -advmethods so you'll get a bonus with your passkey

Tharian
Aug 5, 2010, 01:35 PM
Sounds good. My only question about the passkey is whether I can use it on my ps3 as well. I want to combine the ps3 and macbook under the same point total.

I'll uninstall inCrease after it finishes the 3 day WU I have now. Apparently it's worth 1500 points or so. Project 6041.

Thanks for the insight from you two. I really appreciate it!

-d

twoodcc
Aug 5, 2010, 04:21 PM
Sounds good. My only question about the passkey is whether I can use it on my ps3 as well. I want to combine the ps3 and macbook under the same point total.

I'll uninstall inCrease after it finishes the 3 day WU I have now. Apparently it's worth 1500 points or so. Project 6041.

Thanks for the insight from you two. I really appreciate it!

-d

you can have your username on the ps3 and macbook. i'm not sure about the passkey - i haven't tried putting in my passkey on my ps3.

i'm now curious as to what computers are able to get a bonus with the new smp units? i've got an old white macbook that might be worth a try - 2.16 ghz C2D. its not that fast, but maybe i can get something out of it

lordonuthin
Aug 19, 2010, 10:18 PM
I would like to thank everyone who is participating with team MacRumors whether you are doing 100 ppd or over 10k ppd and congrats to those hitting milestones!

We have more than 20 active members with over 1 million points, congrats to you!

There are about 10 inactive members with over 1 million points, come on back guys we need you!

Thanks to everyone,
whiterabbit

twoodcc
Aug 19, 2010, 10:20 PM
I would like to thank everyone who is participating with team MacRumors whether you are doing 100 ppd or over 10k ppd and congrats to those hitting milestones!

We have more than 20 active members with over 1 million points, congrats to you!

There are about 10 inactive members with over 1 million points, come on back guys we need you!

Thanks to everyone,
whiterabbit

yeah i agree. thanks to those that are folding! we gotta keep it up! and for those that used to fold, and aren't anymore, please start up again if you can!

and for those that getting new mac pros, why not give folding a go? it's a very good cause!

lordonuthin
Aug 19, 2010, 10:23 PM

-d

Not doing anything wrong you just dont have the high power (read expensive) hardware that some have but your contribution is still appreciated.