Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10andrew10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Hello everyone, please Checkout my new iPhone Application called, Hello!

Hello! is just like Blackberry Messenger, every user get a unique 7 digit PIN. Hello! is available for download in the iPhone App Store right now. Hello! for Blackberry version will be released at the beginning of next month followed by Android in April. Very exciting ....

Checkout some of Hello's coolest features listed below. Please let me know what you think, I would love to gather some valuable feedback from the MacRumors community to help improve my application and make it better for everyone.

Thanks for your help, I look forward to hearing from you .... Enjoy the app!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Download Hello! Free @ http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hello/id335703922?mt=8...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hello! is a FREE mobile-to-mobile messenger available for iPhone, and iPod Touch. Hello! lets you chat with all your friends, reducing expensive SMS fees.

Hello! seamlessly integrates with your phone's address book to discover your existing friends who are using Hello! No phone number, no worries. Every Hello! user is issued a unique 7-digit PIN, so you won't miss a message.

Beyond messaging, Hello! includes many other cool features, such as group chat, photo exchange, Facebook status updates, push notifications and much more. Hello! works internationally too, so you can connect anywhere, any time.

Stop paying for SMS and say Hello! for free!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Why use Hello! Messenger?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

-- NO MONTHLY FEES --
Hello! is absolutely free! Send as many messages as you want to all your friends with an iPhone or iPod Touch.

-- TRAVEL THE GLOBE WITH HELLO! --
Stay in touch with your friends any time, anywhere! Hello! is always free no matter where you are in the world and works on 3G / EDGE / and Wi-Fi connections.

-- GROUP CHAT --
Hello! lets you message as many friends as you want at once. There is no limit to the number of people you can chat with, and any participant can invite others to join!

-- EXCHANGE PHOTOS --
Instantly exchange photos with your friends for FREE! No need for in-application purchases or premium version - it’s free of charge when you use Hello!

-- DISCOVER FRIENDS --
Hello! makes it simple to connect with friends already using Hello! through your personal address book! Need more friends? Hello! magically populates a list of People You May Know, helping you connect with even more of your friends.

-- PRIVACY & SECURITY --
Every Hello! user is issued a unique 7-digit PIN so you can keep your phone number a secret. Hello's approval process allows you to accept or reject incoming requests and even cancel requests made by you.

-- NEVER MISS A MESSAGE --
Hello! uses push notifications to alert you when a new message is received, even if Hello! is closed. Offline? Don’t worry, all of your incoming photos and messages are saved and delivered next time you open Hello!

-- STATUS & AVAILABILITY --
Keep your friends up-to-date by sharing your personal status message and even publish it to Facebook. Hello! also lets you set an availability status (Available, Busy and Invisible), providing even more accurate status management.

Attachments

• iPhone_BB.png
    iPhone_BB.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,460

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I don't like the cyan colour on the current icon.

Otherwise, looks and feels much more polished than WhatsApp. Bravo! :)

Things to be fixed:
1. Clickable links and
2. Upon launch, return to the screen that was last viewed

WhatsApp still hasn't fixed the above two issues after numerous requests. Hope you will listen. ;)

10andrew10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I don't know about identical ... with Hello! you can register with a number or without a number. We also make the transition very easy for Blackberry Messenger users used to PIN numbers.

I don't think people are bothered by requests or invitations - it is the norm and what people are used to - especially for those wanting to protect their identity and number (or not even use a number).

Additionally, Hello's UI and core functionality is far more advanced than Whatsapp or any other messaging application available in the app store. No one else has group chat, approvals, blocking, etc ... for free!

Hello! is growing fast and will be available for Blackberry in a few weeks, and Android in April.

10andrew10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I don't like the cyan colour on the current icon.

Otherwise, looks and feels much more polished than WhatsApp. Bravo! :)

Things to be fixed:
1. Clickable links and
2. Upon launch, return to the screen that was last viewed

WhatsApp still hasn't fixed the above two issues after numerous requests. Hope you will listen. ;)

Thank you for your comments - Much appreciated

We will be fixing #1, 2 very soon! Thanks for your input. We just submitted a new release to fix a few bugs and ad some more Advanced Privacy features. It should be available this week sometime.

Talking about polished ... This is version 1.0! Whatsapp has been around for months. Just think about where we will be in a few months from now. Checkout the paid version of Hello!, you will probably like the icon better :)

Oh and by the way - Hello! find your friends automatically like Whatsapp - so making the switch is seamless!

Kebab77

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
This is way better than Whatsapp and Ping - especially when you can chat to BB and 'Droid users ... that will rock!

Seems to be catching on really fast & gradually moving up the rankings.

Goodluck with Hello! Andrew

Scott56R

Mar 14, 2008
Colour change on the icon (as already mentioned). Other than that this app is PERFECT :)

Scott56R

Mar 14, 2008
Purchased the ad free version now I can't log in.

Either using my PIN or my email address :(

Scott56R

Mar 14, 2008
What error are you getting?

No error message just the 'busy' swirly thing.

Sometimes the app shows my number, to which I click OK which gives me the busy symbol again. Other times, I click 'already registered' enter my email address and it sends a SMS. Small problem here though, I have no mobile number registered on my account

not happy to be honest :mad:

EDIT: It's now saying, "we've emailed you a temp password" (which never arrives)

Time to see how good their support is I guess :(

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I like that there are 3 ways to find someone (Name, # or PIN). It's the one thing WhatsApp had been lacking. But as Scott-UK mentioned, I don't like that someone who added me via PIN can see my cell phone #. It defeats the purpose or they may have my GV #.

But the UI is nice, very simple but has good features, support is quick. Now I have to try to get my friends to use it. :)

Though, I think people are getting weary of all these messaging apps out, so many now it's kind of irritating and self defeating. Everyone promising a BB app coming soon but no one has it yet. And really...that's what everyone wants is to be able to connect w/ their BB friends they had on BBM before they switched to an iPhone. lol.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My girlfriend and I both us WhatsApp for texting from our iPhone's. However, there are times when the app can become unreliable in delivering messages. Can anyone vouch for the reliability of message delivery with Hello!?

madagi

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
Hanover, PA
Cool. 3 things though...

1. When someone sends me a picture and I don't clear the conversation after I have received it... if I close Hello! and then re-open it and go back to that conversation, I receive the picture again... and again... and again. I have 5 copies of the same picture (that was only sent to me once).

2. If I have person A and person B in my contacts list, and I message person C... person C then sees person A & B in their "People You May Know" list. I'm not too keen about this. I don't really want my contacts shared with everyone I know. Is there / will there be any way to prevent this?

3. Landscape mode?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
When will you support video messaging?

I've already migrated all my friends and family to whatsapp. So an inherent problem with new messaging apps is migrating them all again. Even if the app is superior, asking everyone to switch apps is a deterrent. That's why I suggest developers of messaging apps to have a 1.0 version that is equally superior to the currently most used messaging app. No one wants to wait for the app to get better...

I will wait until this program has all the functionality of WhatsApp to consider a purchase. I just hope the price remains the same when that time comes.

I do appreciate how the app loads faster than WhatsApp. Hopefully you will be able to add theming onto later versions. I am not a fan of the current color scheme. It's a little bit boring. I would also like the program to integrate with my phone book so my contacts' pictures are displayed next to their names.

10andrew10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
We released an update to Apple to solve this issue.

- Hide Phone Number option
- Hide from Name search option
- Hide People you may know.

We also fixed several other bugs. Please let me know if you have any questions. Originally the idea of showing your number was because we figured most people would only accept friends they knew - but this is not the case.

We care about about protecting our users privacy and have already taken quick actions to fix this issue.

I like that there are 3 ways to find someone (Name, # or PIN). It's the one thing WhatsApp had been lacking. But as Scott-UK mentioned, I don't like that someone who added me via PIN can see my cell phone #. It defeats the purpose or they may have my GV #.

But the UI is nice, very simple but has good features, support is quick. Now I have to try to get my friends to use it. :)

Though, I think people are getting weary of all these messaging apps out, so many now it's kind of irritating and self defeating. Everyone promising a BB app coming soon but no one has it yet. And really...that's what everyone wants is to be able to connect w/ their BB friends they had on BBM before they switched to an iPhone. lol.

10andrew10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for downloading Hello!

1. New release sent to Apple for Approval solves this issue.

2. In version 1.01 we allow you to hide this functionality. Additionally we are including the ability to hide your phone number, and also hide your name from search to better protect our users who want a closed network.

3. Yes, Definitely coming soon. :)

Cool. 3 things though...

1. When someone sends me a picture and I don't clear the conversation after I have received it... if I close Hello! and then re-open it and go back to that conversation, I receive the picture again... and again... and again. I have 5 copies of the same picture (that was only sent to me once).

2. If I have person A and person B in my contacts list, and I message person C... person C then sees person A & B in their "People You May Know" list. I'm not too keen about this. I don't really want my contacts shared with everyone I know. Is there / will there be any way to prevent this?

3. Landscape mode?

10andrew10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
1. Migrating your friends to Hello! is actually very easy. Since we detect friends based on their phone number and email address - adding you new friends is a piece of cake. :)

2. Base Functionality, Whatsapp has been around for over a year. And if you look at their growth it is not very significant - they have not made any improvements besides adding photos and video which is something people use, but not an every day must have.

Hello! IS going to have voice, video, location, etc but at the immediate moment we are focusing on making 'MESSAGING' for the first few releases. Voice is great but isn't the whole reason you message someone to not talk .... Don't worry all the features will be coming soon!

3. In the future we will support the ability to select a color scheme. We worked really hard to make Hello! fast and efficient. I am happy to see you noticed that.

I hope you Enjoy Hello! and get all of your friends to join. As I mentioned before, Hello! will be available for Blackberry and Android soon. Both versions are BEAUTIFUL!

When will you support video messaging?

I've already migrated all my friends and family to whatsapp. So an inherent problem with new messaging apps is migrating them all again. Even if the app is superior, asking everyone to switch apps is a deterrent. That's why I suggest developers of messaging apps to have a 1.0 version that is equally superior to the currently most used messaging app. No one wants to wait for the app to get better...

I will wait until this program has all the functionality of WhatsApp to consider a purchase. I just hope the price remains the same when that time comes.

I do appreciate how the app loads faster than WhatsApp. Hopefully you will be able to add theming onto later versions. I am not a fan of the current color scheme. It's a little bit boring. I would also like the program to integrate with my phone book so my contacts' pictures are displayed next to their names.

10andrew10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks, our Blackberry app is coming it is 95% complete! Checkout http://www.hellomessenger.com for a screen shot of the absolutely stunning user interface. The Android app is the process of being build too :) We will continue to expand on all platforms.

We are also the only messaging app with Group Chat. Not even Yahoo! or AIM have that. If you think about it - this application with big features is coming from a small company - pretty interesting if you ask me.

Additionally, we are focusing on growth - not adding every tiny feature a small majority of users want. Hello! is going to be a long term solution. We are fully funded company and prepared to grow like crazy.

I do appreciate your feedback and look forward to receiving more of it. Enjoy Hello! and please invite all of your friends to download it. And of course leave positive feedback in the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.