Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

021240-kindle_500.jpg

As noted by TUAW, Amazon has released the a Mac software application to read Kindle books under Mac OS X.
"Kindle for Mac is the perfect companion application for customers who own a Kindle or Kindle DX," said Jay Marine, director, Amazon Kindle. "For those customers around the world who don't yet have a Kindle, Kindle for Mac is a great way to instantly access and read the most popular new releases as well as their old favorites."
Kindle for Mac is a free download that allows Mac users to access Kindle-based eBooks even if you don't own a Kindle. For existing Kindle owners, the Mac application will sync bookmarks and annotations over the air.

Amazon had been said to be working on this Kindle for Mac application since October of last year.

Article Link: Amazon Releases Kindle for Mac Application

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I grabbed it a little while ago. Seems to work fine. I'll be looking forward to their promised updates.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Amazon KNOWS they have a big challenge ahead of them with the iPad. :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Excellent; Amazon is supporting this in NZ even though the Kindle itself isn't available here. I believe that this marks the first official eBook shop here (or at least the first that I've heard of) :)

Edit: Confirmed working in NZ with a very big selection of books (almost 700k!) :)

Edit 2: Wait, no, it's more like 350k; the "categories" have duplicates. It's still a lot to launch with though.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Awesome! This will let me experience the world of e-books without shelling out the $$$ for the kindle itself.

mottdog

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
The smart and only move available to Amazon. I will be downloading this app myself shortly. I want to get a feel for it once I get the Ipad.:)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Maybe this will encourage Apple to push their iBook store beyond USA more promptly.

It'll be interesting to see whether Apple competes on pricing. As you're probably aware, the "iTunes exchange rate" for songs is 1.8:1, but for apps it's only 1.3:1. Amazon appears to sell in US dollars, and also appears to charge the same price everywhere. I'm half expecting to be siding with Amazon on this one.

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
Excellent; Amazon is supporting this in NZ even though the Kindle itself isn't available here. I believe that this marks the first official eBook shop here (or at least the first that I've heard of) :)

Edit: Confirmed working in NZ with a very big selection of books (almost 700k!) :)

Edit 2: Wait, no, it's more like 350k; the "categories" have duplicates. It's still a lot to launch with though.

Nice, we normally miss out or have to wait a long time.

pistolero

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
with the incoming wave of ipads, tablets media readers and all sorts of competitors in this format, Amazon has to spread its software across all platforms as fast as possible if it wants to remain relevant. I can see their own kindle reader being discontinued and the kindle being licensed for the dell/hp/sony tablets

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I look forward to reading some of the books my wife's been buying lately - I got her a Kindle for Christmas, and she seems to be very happy with it.

I've already got the app on my iPod Touch; but when I'm commuting I generally listen to stuff while I sit there with my eyes closed. That's not conducive for reading. :D

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
I just got the Kindle Mac software and bought 3 books using it. This is the first time dabbling with the Kindle service. I do not own Kindle hardware.

Pretty nice book selection. The Mac Kindle software is not feature complete yet, but it seems to do the job.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I can tell you that I'm more likely to support a platform agnostic store like Amazon's than iTunes. With Amazon you have a wide range of devices that are supported now and you aren't tied down to any single companies device and store.

With Apple you are locked down with ibooks. Will ibooks even be available for the ipod touch or Mac or pc? If not you can only read your ibooks on the ipad. No ipad no books.

At least with Amazon if you decide you don't like the kindle you can opt out for a ipod touch, ipad(I'm assuming they are updating their software for this platform), pc and now mac. I expect amazon to continue supporting other popular platforms in the future as well.

The difference is Amazon is more interested in selling books than devices while Apple is more interested in selling devices than books. I think Amazon's philosophy is more consumer friendly. In the unlikely event that the iPad bombs, will there goes all your books. With amazon you keep your books.

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
My first reaction was "wow apple allowed this?" and then I remembered that it was a mac app, at least apple can't block/censor/monopolise mac os x programs... yet! :-s

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
My first reaction was "wow apple allowed this?" and then I remembered that it was a mac app, at least apple can't block/censor/monopolise mac os x programs... yet! :-s

The Kindle for iPhone app has been around for ages now. And Apple didn't block/censor/monopolise it.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So if it works on the iPhone then it should work on the iPad - until they develop a special app for it. If it took them this long for getting it on the Mac it may be Christmas before we see a special one for the iPad though.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
No full screen :(

+1

I noticed the feature missing from the PC version, so when I saw the Mac version released I was hoping it might be capable of full screen. Oh well. At least I don't have to launch Parallels anymore just to use the Kindle app. I sent feedback suggesting it might be a good feature to add, though.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'd really like an iPad for Mac application: it'd just puts a large black bezel around Safari.

dmjossel

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Apple vs Amazon

Just about everything you've said about Apple is either just as true about Amazon, or else it's too early to know either way, since neither iBooks nor the iPad are actually available.

I can tell you that I'm more likely to support a platform agnostic store like Amazon's than iTunes. With Amazon you have a wide range of devices that are supported now and you aren't tied down to any single companies device and store.

With Amazon you aren't tied down to a single device or store?

I'm a bit confused. How many devices does Amazon make? I thought it was one-- the Kindle. If you have a Kindle, you have access to Amazon for Kindle-format ebooks, since those are the only ones Amazon sells.

The iBooks application for the iPad (and, presumably the iPhone and the iPod Touch) will support FairPlay ePubs from Apple as well as DRM-free epubs from... well, just about anywhere.

So Amazon supports PCs, the Kindle, and (now) the Mac.

Apple also has another online store-- one for music and videos. It supports the Mac, the PC, and various iPods and other devices, through iTunes. Think there's any chance Apple might do the same, sooner or later?

With Apple you are locked down with ibooks. Will ibooks even be available for the ipod touch or Mac or pc? If not you can only read your ibooks on the ipad. No ipad no books.

Don't like iBooks? Try Stanza. It's already out, in the App Store, and supports iPhones and iPod Touches. Given what Apple has said about the iPad's ability to run existing apps, it should work. Stanza also supports multiple formats, multiple stores, and multiple devices.

Locked down? How do you know? Will it be available on the Touch? I'd wager a good sum it will be at some point. On the Mac and PC? Also possible. Perhaps not immediately-- the idea is to build a new ecosystem around the device, so just like the Kindle app for the Mac came AFTER the Kindle device and Kindle support on the iPhone, they may move to the desktop later.

At least with Amazon if you decide you don't like the kindle you can opt out for a ipod touch, ipad(I'm assuming they are updating their software for this platform), pc and now mac. I expect amazon to continue supporting other popular platforms in the future as well.

The difference is Amazon is more interested in selling books than devices while Apple is more interested in selling devices than books. I think Amazon's philosophy is more consumer friendly. In the unlikely event that the iPad bombs, will there goes all your books. With amazon you keep your books.

You have no idea if that's the case or not. You have no idea if Apple would be obligated to withdraw DRM authorization for books sold to iPad owners-- and you have no idea about whether or not Amazon would be obligated to do the same or not. Most likely, if the iPad bombs, people will get to keep what they have and the flow of new content will stop if the device is discontinued-- but there's absolutely no indication that the situation with the Kindle is any different whatsoever.

There's no indication that the iPad needs a network connection to a DRM server before you are allowed access to content on the device. That's certainly not true of music or applications on an iPod Touch or iPhone-- why would it be true on the iPad? So even in the event of the iPad becoming unsuccessful, and even if Apple had the capability and desire to try and expire your content-- keep your device from syncing or connecting and it wouldn't happen.

Not that it would. There's only one company I'm aware of that's been managing to run a long-term digital content sales operation supporting multiple devices while (mostly) keeping both content creators and customers happy: oh yeah... Apple.

That doesn't mean Amazon can't or won't do it, but while Apple has had more than enough success with the iPod/iPhone ecosystem to trot out rosy sales figures on a regular basis, Amazon has been mum about the Kindle, which is not a good sign.

Apple's approach, focusing more on the platform that the content, is better for consumers. It's kept online music prices down compared to what the publishers wanted, and it wouldn't be entirely off-base to suggest that the same may well happen with books.

Amazon is selling you a Kindle because they want you to buy books. You'll buy a new Kindle only once every few years, but they want you to buy a lot of books, because that's where the money is. There's no incentive to give you a break on the books, but every incentive to keep the cost of the device down.

Apple is interested in selling you an iPad to do several functions, of which reading is one. To do that, they offer you a content pipe, but it's a value-add; for them, the margin is on the devices. They have every incentive to keep book prices down, where nearly every other element in the publishing business now is trying to maintain their existing arcane structure, built around textbooks, tentpole hardcovers, and the deliberate destruction of millions of returns each year.

About the only potential advantage Amazon could have in this battle is if as in the PC ecosystem, you could choose from a dizzying variety of Kindle format compatible hardware readers-- a range of devices that Apple could not necessarily match. That's not the case; Amazon has instead chosen to mimic Apple's approach, providing the entire pipeline: the content, the storefront, the end-user device. The problem is that the Kindle is even more purpose-specific than an iPhone, an iPod Touch, or an iPad.

So: less flexible devices (or I guess I should say "device) and no incentive to provide aggressive pricing (except, of course, competition from Apple) and essentially the same situation with regards to DRM-- both read only their own store's content plus unencumbered content-- except the Apple devices also support other readers and other storefronts, which the Kindle doesn't.

How in the heck does this turn into an advantage for Amazon and the Kindle? I just don't see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.