PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor 250GB One Touch Daisy Chain?

DVDwannabe
Sep 7, 2004, 07:07 PM
I have been trying like no other to get two Maxtor One touch 250GB external hard drives to daisy chain together, but all i get is a black screen that tells me to restart. What can I do to fix this problem? I have reformatted the drives to Mac OS Extended (Journaled and Not Journaled) and still no luck. I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong. Maybe someone can give me a step by step on how to make this work? Please help me. This is getting too frustrating.

JJ

hanq
Sep 8, 2004, 11:46 AM
call maxtor?? i don't know. you should give us some more detailed info on this. every single tiny detail. even if it seems unimportant say it anyways.

DVDwannabe
Sep 8, 2004, 02:51 PM
I called Maxtor and they told me it would work....Then I read the instructions....I'm so stupid. It says right there in the instructions that it can only have one firewire connection hooked up at a time. *But if you want you can run USB as well. Just what I want to do, get a firewire drive and use USB*

Oh we ended up buying a LaCie 250GB D2. It has done what I want so I am happy now.

Thanks anyway

DVDwannabe

cb911
Sep 8, 2004, 06:07 PM
i don't understand what went wrong for you? :confused:

i've got one of those drives, daisy-chained with another external HD no problems.

you only need to have one of the drives plugged into your Mac's FireWire port, then you plug the 2nd drive into the 2nd FW port on the 1st drive. so here's the way that it should all be connected:

Mac > 1st 250GB HD > 2nd 250GB HD

the 2nd HD gets routed through through the FW on the 1st HD, then to your Mac.

i don't know which manual you're reading, but mine says
Drive can only operate using one interface at a time.
that means either USB or FW, not both. you don't need both anyway, my PB only has 1 FW port and i've got 2 drives running... well i hope you've got it all sorted out now. :)