PDA

View Full Version : Why are people allowed to swear

Mudbug
Sep 7, 2004, 07:26 PM
This thread has been moved due to MULTIPLE rule violations by MULTIPLE forum members. Anyone involved will be receiving private messages concerning the matter. Please keep your eyes open for them.

Mudbug

Sun Baked
Sep 7, 2004, 09:52 PM
>Mudbug

It would probably be a good idea to kill the thread where people were experimenting with getting around the word filter.

While there was no swearing, it's still too big a temptation if people find it.

NusuniAdmin
Sep 7, 2004, 10:04 PM
>Mudbug

It would probably be a good idea to kill the thread where people were experimenting with getting around the word filter.

there was swearing in the thread actually
at least 3 people i saw were swearing.

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 7, 2004, 11:10 PM
who gives a ****? its called free speech. we are all (and i use this term in the lightest way possible...) adults here, if you can't handle a swear word...maybe you should have your mother tuck you in to bed and leave the night light on so the monsters under your bed don't get you...grow up.

Elan0204
Sep 7, 2004, 11:15 PM
I think Sun Baked is refering to the discussion we had a while back about a member who shall remain nameless, thanks to the language filter. In that thread there are no actual swears, however, Rower helped a few of us discover how to circumvent the language filter.

NusuniAdmin, were you refering to this thread before it was deleted? Can you or anyone else who read what happened in this thread before Mudbug intervened fill me in?

NusuniAdmin
Sep 7, 2004, 11:18 PM
I think Sun Baked is refering to the discussion we had a while back about a member who shall remain nameless, thanks to the language filter. In that thread there are no actual swears, however, Rower helped a few of us discover how to circumvent the language filter.

NusuniAdmin, were you refering to this thread before it was deleted? Can you or anyone else who read what happened in this thread before Mudbug intervened fill me in?

yes i am referring to it before it was deleted

Mudbug
Sep 7, 2004, 11:18 PM
>Mudbug

there in fact was swearing, and circumvention of our profanity filter just to make the point that it could be done. This is outlined in our forum rules as not only against the rules, but a pet peeve of the site admins, so it's not allowed. Those who broke the rules have been given a temporary time-out from the boards, and will be allowed to return later in the week. They know who they are now, and it's been dealt with.

And while I agree that we have free speech on our boards, we attempt to maintain a PG-13 atmosphere which most everyone should find acceptable. If you feel the need to swear uncontrollably, go right ahead, but spell it right. The filter will take care of you, and you can say anything you have to get off your chest as far as language goes.

Around here, watching what you say is like gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

NusuniAdmin
Sep 7, 2004, 11:24 PM
I know around here (literaly in my area) if you were to walk around the mall swearing at random things a cop would most definitly kick you out. I have seen this happen on several occasions.

And just a reminder the right to free speech means you can have an opinion about whatever you want...etc, but it does not mean you can abuse the meaning certain words..

I have a great idea how about yall start a special section of the forums called "swear away" and when u enter it has a warning saying extreme profanity will be shown...etc. but in there you can use all the swear words you want..... (/sarcasm) Then again if that did happen people would be able to get words out of their head before they do real posts....but the macrumors servers would fry from detecting that much profanity :p

agreenster
Sep 7, 2004, 11:32 PM
And while I agree that we have free speech on our boards, we attempt to maintain a PG-13 atmosphere which most everyone should find acceptable

Even PG-13 is allowed to say **** at least once a flick, and even some brief nudity.

Where the **** is my brief nudity?!?!

:D

Sun Baked
Sep 7, 2004, 11:36 PM
there in fact was swearing, and circumvention of our profanity filter just to make the point that it could be done. This is outlined in our forum rules as not only against the rules, but a pet peeve of the site admins, so it's not allowed. Those who broke the rules have been given a temporary time-out from the boards, and will be allowed to return later in the week. They know who they are now, and it's been dealt with.I was talking about the thread where somebody showed us how to get around the profanity filter, there was no swearing in that thread -- but it is where ***** learned how to circumvent the filter.

That's why he was using that particular MacRumors member's name -- because it is in the profanity filter.

HINT: The person that showed us how circumvent the profanity filter could always delete the thread himself, or at least from post #32 on -- it's a ticking bomb that's too easy to find right now.

NusuniAdmin
Sep 7, 2004, 11:42 PM
who gives a ****? its called free speech. we are all (and i use this term in the lightest way possible...) adults here, if you can't handle a swear word...maybe you should have your mother tuck you in to bed and leave the night light on so the monsters under your bed don't get you...grow up.

well if you or anyone else needs to use constant swearing to prove a point maybe its time for a vocab test?

bousozoku
Sep 8, 2004, 12:39 AM

That's always a great attitude. Not all members are adults and free speech only applies to your own area outside forums. These forums are not a public place and people must follow the rules. If a country's rules were to be applied, they would be which country's? Enough people represent enough of the world that someone would lose their way of life.

Rower_CPU
Sep 8, 2004, 01:06 AM
HINT: The person that showed us how circumvent the profanity filter could always delete the thread himself, or at least from post #32 on -- it's a ticking bomb that's too easy to find right now.

Duly noted and done. :)

BakedBeans
Sep 8, 2004, 01:50 AM
Duly noted and done. :)

???????????? untill this very moment i thought your username was power cpu... my eyes are not what they used to be...

also i though thatwendigo name was thatwendingo.... i am strange... can you duly note that please ;)

solvs
Sep 8, 2004, 11:06 PM
So why is it filtered when I say it with a @ and 2 $'s, but not when I say the real word? Or should I try PM'ing one of you guys again?

Rower_CPU
Sep 8, 2004, 11:12 PM
Odd...*****

I'll check with those in charge of the filter.

solvs
Sep 8, 2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks. Isn't it weird that it's 5 *'s?

revenuee
Sep 8, 2004, 11:30 PM

What does swearing have to do with free speech? --- You can say what you want, but no one will listen to you if what you say is idiotic. Don't abuse a right just cause you can.

Sun Baked
Sep 8, 2004, 11:45 PM
who gives a ****? its called free speech. we are all (and i use this term in the lightest way possible...) adults here, if you can't handle a swear word...maybe you should have your mother tuck you in to bed and leave the night light on so the monsters under your bed don't get you...grow up.The point is lost on us, since NOT everyone here is an adult.

Eliminating the swearing, verbal assaults, and a lot of colorful/annoying stuff and/or pictures in the signatures makes for a more professional and friendly site.

If people want to act like a rude/annoying person who demands a site with "free speech", there are sites that cater to anything goes attitudes.

But, on those sites there is a good chance that legitimate computer problems will take a back seat to the hijinks and spam.

solvs
Sep 9, 2004, 01:00 AM
Free Speech is only protected against Government retaliation, not a private web site telling you not to say doodie or something. It's also a right as well as a responsibility. Most people forget that when hiding behind an Amendment. Not that I'm directing this against you BrianKonarsMac, just wanted to point that out.

jayscheuerle
Sep 9, 2004, 04:20 PM
Personally, what I find interesting is that even though filters can remove the word from the screen, they can't remove it from the reader's mind.

I can say:

"Go **** yourself!"
"**** off!"
"Go to **** you God**** mother******!!"
"Kiss my ***"
"**** my ****!"

Technically, I've done nothing wrong. Slipped under the fence as it is.

Of course, if everything above is easily interpreted by you, then you really shouldn't mind, because you're looking for it. Because I really meant:

"Go love yourself!"
"Jump off!"
"Go to work you Godlike mother of mine!!"
"Kiss my ear"
"Hold my hand!"

;)

rainman::|:|
Sep 9, 2004, 05:46 PM
People like BrianKonarsMac and myself are mostly annoyed with the fact that people continue to react so negatively to a handful of words-- It's not like your kid's head will blow up if he hears, or even says the words. And if everyone just got over it, the kid would be fine. Swearing is not a problem, society deciding that certain words are, for some bizarre antiquated reason, somehow evil is the problem. That's what gives words their power, and could take it away. (Brian, i'm making assumptions here, correct me if i'm wrong)

There's a certain word-- you all know what i'm talking about-- that's considered far worse than any other. Describing part of the female anatomy. Most women will smack you for saying it, if you're a guy-- it's kind of absurd that four letters can evoke that reaction. So i've made a project out of it, questioning people on why they react so incredibly strongly. So far, after about two years of exploring the subject, the only two reasons I have are: 1) The word sounds harsh (phoenetically), and 2) Everyone else gets really mad about it, so I should too. Great reasons, huh.

But this is a private website, and the owner/mods call the shots, so if they censor, I won't complain. Be disappointed, yes; complain no. Just like, they won't complain to me if I make a website with nothing *but* swearing.

It's a common error to believe that you have free speech on a private messageboard.

paul

Dros
Sep 9, 2004, 05:54 PM
1) The word sounds harsh (phoenetically), and 2) Everyone else gets really mad about it, so I should too. Great reasons, huh.
paul

Everyone gets mad about it because society has agreed, as with any word, what it means. It has a literal meaning referring to a part of anatomy, and an intent to be insulting. It is the intent part that people get mad about. You may not intend any insult when you say it, but then you are ignoring its meaning. So, say something to be insulting, people get insulted.

So, yes, great reason.

mvc
Sep 10, 2004, 03:14 AM
It's interesting how that one particular 4 letter word for the female genitals seems to have no real male equivalent in severity - calling someone that is about the worst insult around and likely to result in a fight, whereas all the 'rude' terms for the male anatomy are only fairly insulting at worst, and are often used in a mild or joking manner.

It's a hangover from our generally mysogenist human history I suppose. Perhaps males do most of the insulting and have a higher regard for their own equipment than that of the fairer sex? Any pop psychologists want to give it a spin?

revenuee
Sep 10, 2004, 09:22 AM
It's interesting how that one particular 4 letter word for the female genitals seems to have no real male equivalent in severity - calling someone that is about the worst insult around and likely to result in a fight, whereas all the 'rude' terms for the male anatomy are only fairly insulting at worst, and are often used in a mild or joking manner.

It's a hangover from our generally mysogenist human history I suppose. Perhaps males do most of the insulting and have a higher regard for their own equipment than that of the fairer sex? Any pop psychologists want to give it a spin?

if it's the world i'm thinking that's often the butt of jokes, particularly when used as ... Mike Hunt (LOL)

then i have a large handful of women that would disagree ... hell a few of the women i work with think that it's the funniest word ever

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 12, 2004, 10:21 PM
People like BrianKonarsMac and myself are mostly annoyed with the fact that people continue to react so negatively to a handful of words-- It's not like your kid's head will blow up if he hears, or even says the words. And if everyone just got over it, the kid would be fine. Swearing is not a problem, society deciding that certain words are, for some bizarre antiquated reason, somehow evil is the problem. That's what gives words their power, and could take it away. (Brian, i'm making assumptions here, correct me if i'm wrong)

There's a certain word-- you all know what i'm talking about-- that's considered far worse than any other. Describing part of the female anatomy. Most women will smack you for saying it, if you're a guy-- it's kind of absurd that four letters can evoke that reaction. So i've made a project out of it, questioning people on why they react so incredibly strongly. So far, after about two years of exploring the subject, the only two reasons I have are: 1) The word sounds harsh (phoenetically), and 2) Everyone else gets really mad about it, so I should too. Great reasons, huh.

But this is a private website, and the owner/mods call the shots, so if they censor, I won't complain. Be disappointed, yes; complain no. Just like, they won't complain to me if I make a website with nothing *but* swearing.

It's a common error to believe that you have free speech on a private messageboard.

paul

oh my...a voice of reason...can it be!?!?

to whoever asked me to take a vocab test...id be happy to, considering i got a perfect score on my SAT's and ACT's in language...i think i'd do fine.

trying to shield people from any form of profanity (i.e. not wanting your children to learn sex ed, see violent movies, play video games, etc) will only lead them to rebel at the first opportunity and go on a spree of trying everything you have attempted to keep from them.

you need to educate people, not slap them on the wrist for certain behavior and say that is unacceptable.

if me swearing offends you, give an actual REASONING as to why the word **** gets your panties in a bunch, and perhaps i will respect your reason and forgoe swearing. ATM however, i feel like i'm surrounded by preschoolers who's only argument is "it's bad because my mommy said so, so you can't say it!"...at least Paul understands that it's just a word, you are the one giving it the negative conotation.

Dros
Sep 12, 2004, 11:27 PM
ATM however, i feel like i'm surrounded by preschoolers who's only argument is "it's bad because my mommy said so, so you can't say it!"...at least Paul understands that it's just a word, you are the one giving it the negative conotation.

It is interesting to see my argument that society has agreed on the meaning of words (is this debatable?) reduced to "my mommy says it is bad".

So, your argument is that words are given a meaning by the speaker and therefore no word should have the power to offend? No meaning is to be inferred from its use by society? I don't understand this. Perhaps this is knowledge only available to people with perfect test scores. Certainly it is possible to say swear words in a context that will not cause offense. For instance, we could be saying them in this conversation, a discussion about their meaning, and I don't think anyone would feel as if they were offended. But if used in its normal context, sure, I would feel the person was attempting to insult me. They may claim that they have given it some special, personal, meaning, but that would make me just feel like they were trying to insult me and that they were strange.

For instance, when you say, "I'm surrounded by preschoolers". Were you attempting to insult us by saying our intelligence is like a child? That is how I read it. You could claim that coming out of your mouth, "preschoolers" means something else entirely, like, "good looking", but I would find that meaning dubious.

Anyway, feel free to explain your theory of word meanings so even the simple minded here can understand.

bousozoku
Sep 13, 2004, 12:20 AM

paul

While it has something to do with the words sometimes, it's more to do with the attitude. You always seem to have a respectful attitude, even if you don't agree. We can't say that about everyone else.

whooleytoo
Sep 14, 2004, 06:40 AM

Actually, I could think of a few that'd cause problems.. ;)

There's a certain word for the male genitals which is popular here in my part of the world, which even made it to the top of the music charts here as a song title - and it'd probably lead to a fight too. (And the funny thing is, I could use it here as the profanity filters would hardly be aware of all the 'localized' profanities).

whooleytoo
Sep 14, 2004, 06:42 AM
While it has something to do with the words sometimes, it's more to do with the attitude. You always seem to have a respectful attitude, even if you don't agree. We can't say that about everyone else.

That's a fair point; but it's easy to be disrespectful without using profanities, and possible to use swear words without being disrespectful.

bousozoku
Sep 14, 2004, 09:08 AM
That's a fair point; but it's easy to be disrespectful without using profanities, and possible to use swear words without being disrespectful.

True, but that's less likely in reality. The combination is just too compelling.

whooleytoo
Sep 14, 2004, 11:04 AM
True, but that's less likely in reality. The combination is just too compelling.

It varies, here in Ireland people use swear words a lot, out of habit. So much so, there isn't any bite or invective behind them; they're just throwaway words in a conversation. And without the anger or intended offense, these words lose their 'shock value'.

However I do understand your view, in other places/societies, swear words only tend to come out as conversations get heated; and so go hand in hand with insults and belligerence. Still though, I don't think it's the words themselves that are offensive, but the implied anger/hatred behind them.

My main problem with swear words is that they make it too easy for lazy people to express insults and anger ;)

kettle
Sep 14, 2004, 11:42 AM
It varies, here in Ireland people use swear words a lot, out of habit. So much so, there isn't any bite or invective behind them; they're just throwaway words in a conversation. And without the anger or intended offense, these words lose their 'shock value'.

I think you're deluded.
Swearing is not normal. To generalise about Ireland is just nuts there is approximately the same proportion of polite and well spoken people in Ireland as there is in Scotland, England or Wales.

I think you should take a moment to think about what you implied and how you are portraying your country in a very bad light. Just because people do not react to bad language does not mean they approve or wouldn't rather have more polite language spoken or typed.

I think you are surrounded by very tolerant or ignorant people, which you choose will speak volumes on how you perceive your fellow human.

on the other hand, swearing in combination with situation and timing can be extremely funny and often unsurpassed in communicating those hard to reach places of human interaction.

bousozoku
Sep 14, 2004, 11:58 AM

However I do understand your view, in other places/societies, swear words only tend to come out as conversations get heated; and so go hand in hand with insults and belligerence. Still though, I don't think it's the words themselves that are offensive, but the implied anger/hatred behind them.

My main problem with swear words is that they make it too easy for lazy people to express insults and anger ;)

Coming from Philadelphia, I found it tough to change my language--we used the f-word as emphasis there. It was rarely used to truly insult someone. I used to hear 10 year old kids say things on the street that I would hardly consider something to be said in public, even if I had seen it used medically.

It used to be a rite of passage to swear but then, we learned better, more accurate words to express our feelings and used discipline to control our outbursts. I'm not so naive that I'm constantly shocked by what people do, but the lack of intelligent use of language (and other things) does surprise me from time to time. It's much more satisfying to me to walk away from a disagreement having insulted someone in a way that they think that I've praised them. ;)

whooleytoo
Sep 14, 2004, 12:02 PM
I think you're deluded.
Swearing is not normal. To generalise about Ireland is just nuts there is approximately the same proportion of polite and well spoken people in Ireland as there is in Scotland, England or Wales.

What is "normal"? Normal varies from society to society. Those countries are similar to Ireland culturally, so I'd actually include them.

I think you should take a moment to think about what you implied and how you are portraying your country in a very bad light. Just because people do not react to bad language does not mean they approve or wouldn't rather have more polite language spoken or typed.

I put enough thought into my message as I posted it, and stand by it now. I think it's fair to assume that people generally don't disapprove of swearing here, given the few people here who don't swear.

I think you are surrounded by very tolerant or ignorant people, which you choose will speak volumes on how you perceive your fellow human.

Or just people with different social norms. Swear words are common here even on radio and TV, no bleeps, no blurring of text when they're written. In the US, it's different. Different strokes for different folks.

on the other hand, swearing in combination with situation and timing can be extremely funny and often unsurpassed in communicating those hard to reach places of human interaction.

Speaking of funny, I liked you avatar! (Talk about the kettle calling the pot black! :D )

Daveman Deluxe
Sep 14, 2004, 12:16 PM
I think that there's a grave shortage of good swear words--the kind that are used infrequently enough that they get the point across like the click of a hammer being cocked on a loaded .38.

bousozoku
Sep 14, 2004, 12:24 PM
I think that there's a grave shortage of good swear words--the kind that are used infrequently enough that they get the point across like the click of a hammer being cocked on a loaded .38.

Learn the various words available in Hungarian, Serbian, and Romanian. That will cure your drought. :eek:

yellow
Sep 14, 2004, 12:29 PM
I've been reading a lot of Penny-Arcade and watching a lot of Dave Chappelle lately. I find it hard not to swear, or even use just generally socially unacceptable words.

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 14, 2004, 03:27 PM
It is interesting to see my argument that society has agreed on the meaning of words (is this debatable?) reduced to "my mommy says it is bad".

So, your argument is that words are given a meaning by the speaker and therefore no word should have the power to offend? No meaning is to be inferred from its use by society? I don't understand this. Perhaps this is knowledge only available to people with perfect test scores. Certainly it is possible to say swear words in a context that will not cause offense. For instance, we could be saying them in this conversation, a discussion about their meaning, and I don't think anyone would feel as if they were offended. But if used in its normal context, sure, I would feel the person was attempting to insult me. They may claim that they have given it some special, personal, meaning, but that would make me just feel like they were trying to insult me and that they were strange.

For instance, when you say, "I'm surrounded by preschoolers". Were you attempting to insult us by saying our intelligence is like a child? That is how I read it. You could claim that coming out of your mouth, "preschoolers" means something else entirely, like, "good looking", but I would find that meaning dubious.

Anyway, feel free to explain your theory of word meanings so even the simple minded here can understand.

i wasn't attempting to insult you, i was just stating my observations. the only argument anyone here has is "my parents told me that word was bad, so i think it's bad." no matter how you look at it, it's just a word, you are the one giving it the implication of an attempted insult. not long ago the word ****** was quite insulting, now blacks use it in reference to each other as casually as you or I say hi to someone, it's all in your interpretation of the word. when I use the word bitch, it would be insulting if any females were in hearing distance, but when I'm with a friend they understand that I'm just using it in reference, not actually attempting to insult someone.

wherever you were going with the preschoolers and meaning good looking...the analogy just doesn't connect. if you find it insulting to be referred to as a preschooler, you should try acting older than one. you still have yet to give me any reasoning as to why swear words are offensive to you, other than your mother telling you they are bad (or society in your case, which is even more frightening that you take lessons from our society).

kettle
Sep 14, 2004, 03:40 PM
(Talk about the kettle calling the pot black! :D )

yesh, kind of enjoy a good splash of petrol to get the barbi going. ;)

The truth is you need both, just like electricity, you need the potential difference for a good spark. The only reason that swearing is such good fun is because of the potential objection.

Long live the crude, long live the prudes. :)

Dros
Sep 14, 2004, 04:22 PM
not long ago the word ****** was quite insulting, now blacks use it in reference to each other as casually as you or I say hi to someone, it's all in your interpretation of the word. when I use the word bitch, it would be insulting if any females were in hearing distance, but when I'm with a friend they understand that I'm just using it in reference, not actually attempting to insult someone.

So in the first instance, you are saying that certain words were at one time quite insulting, but now they are not. So words can be insulting, it seems you are saying (although you are also trying to say words can't be offensive). What has changed between then and now? Societies meaning of the word. People use it in different ways, but their individual intent is informed by societies usage of it. Your friends have agreed that words that are offensive to others aren't to you. That's fine. But as you agree, that doesn't mean those words should be used in a broader community where the words take on other meanings. It looks like by your examples that you agree with me.

if you find it insulting to be referred to as a preschooler, you should try acting older than one. you still have yet to give me any reasoning as to why swear words are offensive to you, other than your mother telling you they are bad (or society in your case, which is even more frightening that you take lessons from our society).

Here you misunderstand me. I do not find it insulting when you call me a pre-schooler, because your opinion of me is of no importance. I recognize, though, that you calling me a pre-schooler means you are trying to be insulting, i.e. equating my mindset with a baby.

"take lessons from society" just means I speak English using commonly agreed upon definitions of the words. Not too frightening. Your examples show you understand this as well. All I am saying is, MacRumors isn't the same as your group of friends that like to swear and mean nothing by it.

crachoar
Sep 15, 2004, 09:28 AM
Personally, I think we've all had enough of this "you can't say that because I'm: 1) offended because I'm sheltered or 2) too snobby to use 'common' language" nonsense shoved down our throats our entire lives that we should just get over it and allow it (since in the long run, it's all communication).

Let's sit back, look at the problem at hand, and realize that those afraid of such things like (certain) "words" are just silly people to begin with. Communication is communication. No point in telling somebody they can't communicate the way they prefer to because you don't like it. I mean, you certainly can, but you'll look like a ****ing idiot (omg, I'm such a commoner!).

I think the moral of the story is...

"Every time you swear, baby Jesus sheds a tear..." :(

Or maybe it was more along the lines of...

"If you don't like them, don't use them. But don't try to pretend like they don't exist and don't look down upon people for using them (or not using them). Censoring is silly and you are too. That doesn't mean that we hate you for being silly (we encourage you to be as silly as you desire). We just wish that you weren't forcing us to be silly as well."

Well, that was silly...

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 15, 2004, 02:39 PM
So in the first instance, you are saying that certain words were at one time quite insulting, but now they are not. So words can be insulting, it seems you are saying (although you are also trying to say words can't be offensive). What has changed between then and now? Societies meaning of the word. People use it in different ways, but their individual intent is informed by societies usage of it. Your friends have agreed that words that are offensive to others aren't to you. That's fine. But as you agree, that doesn't mean those words should be used in a broader community where the words take on other meanings. It looks like by your examples that you agree with me.

Here you misunderstand me. I do not find it insulting when you call me a pre-schooler, because your opinion of me is of no importance. I recognize, though, that you calling me a pre-schooler means you are trying to be insulting, i.e. equating my mindset with a baby.

"take lessons from society" just means I speak English using commonly agreed upon definitions of the words. Not too frightening. Your examples show you understand this as well. All I am saying is, MacRumors isn't the same as your group of friends that like to swear and mean nothing by it.

i do agree with you on pretty much everything you said. words have certain acceptable places, and in other areas they are not. i would never use the word ******, even if my girlfriend (who is black) happened to find it acceptable (which, thankfully, she does not) because it's just not acceptable, even for blacks to use it amongst themselves (not that that changes anything). the situation and the audience dictate that acceptability of a certain term or word, which i agree upon. however, i feel that many people tend to denote a word as offensive, without giving it proper consideration. WHY is it that the word ****, or ****, etc is offensive? Most people i know use them for emphasis or to express themselves (usually in an angry manner) which is why I cannot believe that these words are banned in private use, but it's private so I have to accept it (or leave).

I am NOT trying to argue for swearing on MacRumors, from the title of this thread I thought he was askin why are people allowed to SWEAR AT ALL. I agree that it's good to censor macrumors, but there is no foolproof way around it and people will always understand what the censored word is (just by the context). You can say that the **** really meant love, but we all know BS when we see it.

About me referring to the audience as preschoolers, it was not directed AT YOU, it was a reference to the debatable points i was recieving. NOBODY has given me ample reason to support not being allowed to swear in a private forum other than it is offensive...yet they have no REASON for it being offensive...it just is! I don't find IT JUST IS to be an acceptable reason for banning various aspects of language, but apparently others do. I meant no personal insult towards you (or anyone else), I don't know you in person so I can't exactly pass judgement on your character nor your intelligence.

e.g. banning cigarette smoke in private areas is acceptable because:
1. it's a health issue.
2. it smells foul.
3. it pollutes the air supply.
4. a fire hazard.
5. creates litter (cigarette butts) and debris (cigarette ash).

if someone could provide a few major point on why swearing should be banned (privately), i'd be interested to review them.

Dros
Sep 15, 2004, 03:47 PM
Well, I guess we do pretty much agree. Yeah, private forums.. sure, why not? I don't think you'll find anyone willing to argue against that.