Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Well, I finally got around to upgrading my ram on my new Alubook 1.5

And the freakin screws are so tightly screwed in that I cant get them out and I dont want to strip them!

ANy one Puhlease have any ideas,.

I managed to get one of them out, but the rest are heated shut?
Or what?

TIA

Ok saw this in a search, has there been any other options other than the pliers?

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
set it down next to an air conditioner for 30 min to an hour, the aluminum will get cold real quick, screws should shrink a bit and you should be able to undo them.

if not, take it to an apple store and let them do it. if they damage your book, it is their fault.

maybe after you removed one screw, the panel shifted at an angle and is now caught on a screw? reinsert the screw, tighten it to pull the panel in place, and try undoing all the screws without removing any of them completely. if the screw it still stuck and you can't get it out, apple needs to do it. if you strip the screw...i don't even want to think about it.

what use would a pliers be on a screw that is screwed into the computer? they are the smallest available screws (#00 i believe) which would make it impossible to use a pliers on unless it were unscrewed a little, but then you would damage and misshape the screw, as well as scratch the hell out of your aluminum. are you sure you are using the correct size screwdriver? you have to turn REALLY hard to undo he screws, or at least i did.

mr_mac

macrumors member
May 1, 2004
Quebec, Canada
use a metal grip screwdriver and VERY lightly bang the screw in with a hammer. just a small bump.

This should loosen the screw and tighten the screwdriver in the screw. then apply downforce on it and turn it.

If the screw is stripped, then do not put it back. go in a apple service provider and get some... should be like 5 bucks for a complete set. Well worth it.

Email me for more info.

Hope this helps,

Mrmac

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I recently upgraded the ram in my 12" pb. I also had they same problem with the screws being torqued down just enough that I could not get them loose with my bare hands.

I took a screwdriver normally used for working on eyeglasses. I then took a pair of plyers to grip the screwdriver. This set up only took a little bit of pressure to get loose.

I would try this. Works great.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
canned air huh sure:p

ok thanks to all for the help!

i used the AC idea and cooled of the Alubook well then used my 00 and applied a pair of pliers to the column of the philips 00. Applied pressure downwards on the Philips as I torqued the Philips with the pliers.

Slowly it began to work, Whew!!

Thanks to all for the help!

It is very appreciated, i was very in the "what the HELL!" mood.

Thanks

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.