Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
My Black MacBook is on (I can hear it whirring) but there's nothing on the screen nor will it make any noise (when changing the volume, for example). And when I close it, the sleep light comes on but it doesn't start 'breathing' and the computer continues to whirr as if it's still on.

What's the problem?

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Am I right in thinking I'd lose my work if I do that? From what you're saying are you suggesting it's crashed?? That's not an option. I thought Macs can't crash?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
You did not say in your OP that you had open work. If you turn it off then you will loose your work.

Do you have an external monitor that you can plug in?

Also if you have a shortcut set for spotlight could you not use that shortcut to open the application and then press CMD & S to save your work??? Risky I know!

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
no external monitor. So it seems it's crashed. Brilliant. So much for "They just work" - seems they're just as bad as Windows then.

Rubbish.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
no external monitor. So it seems it's crashed. Brilliant. So much for "They just work" - seems they're just as bad as Windows then.

Rubbish.

I can understand your frustration but software always has bugs. How long have you had your MacBook? Is this the first time that its crashed? I would take a guess that it has happened a lot less than a Windows laptop.

Have you tried my suggesting about saving your work?

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
In fact my Mac is always having problems (never to this degree but its forever dropping wifi or not connecting at all, the other day it was really hot because finder was using 100% of the CPU for no apparent reason, the spacebar stopped working a few weeks after buying it and I had to have the battery replaced within the first six months to name a few problems).

My Vaio with Windows 7 (which I'm on now) is incredibly stable and, apart from a couple of minor program crashes, I've had no issues. And never lost any work.

For me, I think this is the last nail in Apple's coffin.

Thanks for your help though. And apologies for the rant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.