PDA

View Full Version : High-pitched noise from 15" PB

tizza
Sep 8, 2004, 07:35 AM
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me solve a very annoying noise problem with my 15" aluminium PB. I've recently been hearing a high-pitched kind of noise, which doesn't appear when I first turn the PB on, but starts coming after a day or two of being left on. It is a high pitched noise which seems to come from the right hand side, but it is definently connected with the graphics - i.e. when I scroll down a web page the noise stops momentarily and then starts again.

I took it into my local apple h/w repair place and they replaced the screen, backlight and inverter, but of course within a few hours of using it after I came home it started again. I'll have to take it back but has anyone else experienced this? Could my graphics card be making this noise?? (I assume it can't be my HD due to the way it changes to what I do on screen, but maybe it could be too?)

NB: - This noise is on ALL the time, with the exception of the first several hours after I restart.

thanks for your help
tizza

hanq
Sep 8, 2004, 10:12 AM
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me solve a very annoying noise problem with my 15" aluminium PB. I've recently been hearing a high-pitched kind of noise, which doesn't appear when I first turn the PB on, but starts coming after a day or two of being left on. It is a high pitched noise which seems to come from the right hand side, but it is definently connected with the graphics - i.e. when I scroll down a web page the noise stops momentarily and then starts again.

I took it into my local apple h/w repair place and they replaced the screen, backlight and inverter, but of course within a few hours of using it after I came home it started again. I'll have to take it back but has anyone else experienced this? Could my graphics card be making this noise?? (I assume it can't be my HD due to the way it changes to what I do on screen, but maybe it could be too?)

NB: - This noise is on ALL the time, with the exception of the first several hours after I restart.

thanks for your help
tizza

it's probably coming from the speakers. i dont' know how to explain it but the movement on the screen draws more power so the speakers are affected by the change of amount 0f power going to the speakers.

try turning your sound off and see if these sounds still occur. and try it with the sound all the way up see if it gets louder.

i hope your PB's ok.

tizza
Sep 8, 2004, 11:38 PM
it's probably coming from the speakers. i dont' know how to explain it but the movement on the screen draws more power so the speakers are affected by the change of amount 0f power going to the speakers.

try turning your sound off and see if these sounds still occur. and try it with the sound all the way up see if it gets louder.

i hope your PB's ok.

Thanks for the idea hanq, but I'm almost certain it's not the speakers. I've tried turning them off and changing the volume, but it makes no difference to the sound. It's most loud when I put my ear against the underside of the PB on the right-hand side near the DVI port. I'm not sure whether a faulty component on the graphics card could make this noise??

Anyway I'm dropping it back in tomorrow for repair so hopefully they can find something.

tizza

Rezet
Sep 9, 2004, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the idea hanq, but I'm almost certain it's not the speakers. I've tried turning them off and changing the volume, but it makes no difference to the sound. It's most loud when I put my ear against the underside of the PB on the right-hand side near the DVI port. I'm not sure whether a faulty component on the graphics card could make this noise??

Anyway I'm dropping it back in tomorrow for repair so hopefully they can find something.

tizza

There is a similar problem with first gen Powermacs G5 too. This is coming from a power deistibution block. And I think it's the same for you. When it's set on auto power management it does seem to make weird noises like when u move mouse over magnified dock, or load things etc.
What I can recommend for you is to download CHAD and turn off auto power management. It might help, if this indeed it is the same problem.
In prefs, Hardware icon will be added and, you have to unclick NAP.
I'm not very sure thats the same thing for your pb. But can try.

3210ccdriver
Sep 9, 2004, 09:19 AM
This is actually a known issue under certain intense processes there is chirping sound that iminates from g4 laptops. No exchanging of parts will correct this issue.

wide
Sep 9, 2004, 09:47 AM
it may be that the vibrations from the van and hard drive are causing the computer to make weird noises on contact with your desk. this might happen if your desk is uneven (or your powerbook is), such that three of the four bumpers are touching the desk and one is suspended in mid air. it happens occasionally with my dell, but i just move it a centimeter or so and its fine.