Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minime

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
I need an external battery to power my iPhone 3G S while I am on the road. I need it to be light and small and preferably without any connection cables.

So in my search for the perfect product for my needs, I saw the Miccus ChargeBlock. Has anyone experience with it or can you recommend a better alternative? (except Solos and ZAGGsparq)

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Apologies for posting in spite of having no direct experience with the ChargeBlock. I have been looking around for a few weeks for a battery extender, and like you I don't want the hassle of having to connect a battery extender via cables. In any case after looking around I have settled on the Mophie juice pack Air, which hopefully will be delivered this week. It has a 1200 mAh battery, acts as a case, and is approved by Apple. You might consider it as an alternative, particularly since it has a little more power than the ChargeBlock (800 mAh). Also, I have heard that some of the battery extenders that attach at the bottom fall of easily or damage the connector (no doubt this depends on how well built the battery extender is).

I'm hoping that when I next consider buying an iPhone that the range will include a model with its own oversized battery (über-iPhone).

tm.chen

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
I have the Mophie Air juice pack, not bad for average use. Enough for about 1 good charge and you got an on off switch as well.

Cons

Size - doubles the thickness
USB - not the standard USB and the supplied cable doesnt fit well.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I use the Mophie Air Too and love it. It's black to match my phone. Perfect fit and OEM look.

Does make it a little thicker but really, it's not bad. Serves very good to help protect the back should it fall.

The micro SD cable allows for charging of the phone first...once at 100% it charges the Mophie. It also syncs with this cable, so there's no need to take the phone out of the case to sync it. The cable fits very snug on mine.

I have the Mophie Air juice pack, not bad for average use. Enough for about 1 good charge and you got an on off switch as well.

Cons

Size - doubles the thickness
USB - not the standard USB and the supplied cable doesnt fit well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.