PDA

View Full Version : please help my networking problem

sth85vdub01
Mar 20, 2010, 11:33 AM
I have Att Uverse cable and the are unable to use the coax connection in the wall, and there is no phone jack in my living room.

I need to get signal in my living room, even though my wireless gateway is upstairs.
What I was thinking is to use my xServe (media server) that is in the closest close to the living room. I added a wireless usb adapter to the xserve.

My theory is that it can receive the wireless connection from the gateway, run a cat 5 cable from the xserve to my Netgear ProSafe 8 port switch GS 108. From the switch there is 2 cables one to Uverse, and the other to a Xbox 360.

Is this possible and recommendations

Right now I have a long cat 5 running down the stairs to the switch, from the gateway. Its an eye sore and need a quick fix.

Running OSX 10.5.8

Detrius
Mar 29, 2010, 06:53 AM
I don't have this setup myself, so I can't verify for you that it works, but what about an Airport Express? Use it as a wireless client and as a wifi/ethernet bridge... or are you saying that the WiFi signal doesn't reach that far?

Also, if the problem is that there's no phone jack in the living room, why not just put one there?