Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Is it possible to have itunes add movies automatically from a NAS drive?
I was imagining I could run iTunes, streaming to the aTV, on an old fanless G4 cube, but with no monitor hooked up. Instead I'd like to just use another computer to put content on a NAS, from which the cube could pick it up.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Inside your iTunes library (which I assume is on your NAS) you should have a folder called "Automatically Add to itunes". Any file that is placed into this folder should, as the name implies, be automatically added to your iTunes library.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Yes I just discovered that, first hit on Google, typically..
I noticed it's directly moved into a another folder bearing the file's name, is this possible to change? I like to have my movie files sorted by country.
Can I use the same iTunes library for my main computer?
Does the NAS need to support "iTunes server", or is that something else?
:confused: thanks!

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
If you untick the boxes that say "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" under preferences/Advanced, does it still copy them to a different folder name?

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
It seems to make no difference, and I only had "organize" ticked in first place. Come to think of it, with a NAS I must use the web browser or FTP program? Would it be simpler (and possible) to have an Airport Extreme with a hard drive connected, and can both computers access the same iTunes library from it from Finder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.