Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
No, it won't. In the videos, Apple states that you must have a Mac with iPhoto for Faces and Places to work. I'm certain they're referring to a version of iPhoto that supports those features. Otherwise, a Mac with iPhoto would not be a requirement.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
No, it won't. In the videos, Apple states that you must have a Mac with iPhoto for Faces and Places to work. I'm certain they're referring to a version of iPhoto that supports those features. Otherwise, a Mac with iPhoto would not be a requirement.

I didn't know if that meant it would sync the Faces and Places data from iLife 09 or if iLife 09 was required. I was hoping that I could still tag photos with faces and places data on the iPad itself.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I didn't know if that meant it would sync the Faces and Places data from iLife 09 or if iLife 09 was required. I was hoping that I could still tag photos with faces and places data on the iPad itself.
We might not know 100% until we have it in our hands. But it seems like the Apple rep said that it would require a Mac, which tells me that you can't do that in the Photos.app on the iPad itself.

ckorhonen

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
NYC
The Photos.app from the iPad simulator has no capabilities to edit faces or places on the iPad itself - I take this to mean that you need to have iPhoto on your mac.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
My impression, which does make sense if you think about it, was that you need a Mac running iLife '09 with Faces & Places data to be able to sync Faces & Places data onto your iPad. Unfortunately, my iMac, which has all of my media on it, doesn't have iLife '09 like my MBP does :(

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
Since the iPad will be purchased by Windows users also I believe faces etc. will work on it.

No it won't you have to have a mac to get that feature. Most people that use windows won't miss it because they don't have it. Just like people that don't have ilife09 wont miss because they don't have it now.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
No it won't you have to have a mac to get that feature. Most people that use windows won't miss it because they don't have it. Just like people that don't have ilife09 wont miss because they don't have it now.

Well, Picassa offers similar functionality, but I don't know if only Picassa can read the Faces/Places data or if you can sync the data to other devices.

Since the geotag is embedded in the picture files, you'd think at least places would work on the iPad without iPhoto, but there's the catch I guess.

I've got to say, I really do want a Mac.

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Faces doesn't work, anyway. Every time I put my picture in there, it keeps coming back as a match for George Clooney.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Since the iPad will be purchased by Windows users also I believe faces etc. will work on it.

From the keynote from Steve himself: "And if I'm on a Mac, I can also get Events, Faces, and Places from iPhoto."

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
Well, Picassa offers similar functionality, but I don't know if only Picassa can read the Faces/Places data or if you can sync the data to other devices.

Since the geotag is embedded in the picture files, you'd think at least places would work on the iPad without iPhoto, but there's the catch I guess.

I've got to say, I really do want a Mac.

Steve Jobs has already answered this question: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/03/22/another-week-another-terse-email-from-steve-jobs/

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
If one embeds GPS Data will this feature work? What about categories, if our images are tagged will the program divide them into categories.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
It's called apple wants money. You need to have iLife 09 and a mac. Confirmed by apple rep.

Actually it's called running the face recognition algorithm on the iPad would be too slow and/or kill the battery in a hurry.

(This is not to be confused with the face detection part of the process, which the iPad probably could handle since most digital cameras can do it with no sweat.)

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
Actually it's called running the face recognition algorithm on the iPad would be too slow and/or kill the battery in a hurry.

(This is not to be confused with the face detection part of the process, which the iPad probably could handle since most digital cameras can do it with no sweat.)

Absolutely. I leave iPhoto open most of the time cuz it's always churning out something up there next to "Faces".

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

is that why you need a mac to have ilife?

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
exactly so you buy a mac thus giving apple money. apple can make ilife for windows if they wanted but they dont. cause of money.

Are you implying that Apple would make iLife for Windows and make it free? If not, Apple would still be getting your money.

I think your tinfoil hat may need refitting.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
exactly so you buy a mac thus giving apple money. apple can make ilife for windows if they wanted but they dont. cause of money.

Are people really going to buy a Mac just so they can tag faces on their iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.