PDA

View Full Version : ipod battery question?

fuijin
Sep 8, 2004, 06:01 PM
i dont know if this is possible but i find that the ipod battery life isnt all that great, but if there was a way that when you select a song and after it has begun playing ur screen would go completely gray or something instead of scrolling through the song info. is there any tricks or tips to conserving battery life? :confused:

cb911
Sep 8, 2004, 06:15 PM
don't use the backlight?

what model iPod do you have? have you got the latest software updates? i think some of them brought improved battery performance.

i find that my iPod has okay battery life... i guess the more you stop and start songs would decrease battery life as well.

Apmonia
Sep 8, 2004, 06:24 PM
The best way to conserve battery life is to leave the EQ off, the backlight off, and keep the sound check off. :) I know it sucks to keep everything off, but most of it you don't need anyway. For some reason the battery lasts longer if you put all of your songs into a playlist and then play them in shuffle mode. This might just be me, but it seems to work better that way.

Apmonia

fuijin
Sep 8, 2004, 06:37 PM
The best way to conserve battery life is to leave the EQ off, the backlight off, and keep the sound check off. :) I know it sucks to keep everything off, but most of it you don't need anyway. For some reason the battery lasts longer if you put all of your songs into a playlist and then play them in shuffle mode. This might just be me, but it seems to work better that way.

Apmonia

yea backlight is off. but i wish there was like a screensaver/batterysaver mode for when your playing songs in a playlist.

toughboy
Sep 8, 2004, 06:56 PM
yea backlight is off. but i wish there was like a screensaver/batterysaver mode for when your playing songs in a playlist.

backlit should definitely be off, in addition to that contrast should be at the minimum visible level. playing and stoping the songs frequently drains more battery because of the writing to cache and erasing and spinning the harddrive more than you need..

I'm planning to have a iPod 4th gen after my 2nd and 3rd generation iPod because of the battery life, but I still wait for that "secret feature" which Apple did not announce yet. :rolleyes:

Inkmonkey
Sep 8, 2004, 11:25 PM
This thread might help

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1028519

rainman::|:|
Sep 8, 2004, 11:48 PM
The LCD draws little power. I don't think shutting it off during songs will make a noticeable difference in battery life... and a screensaver would use just as much. As I said in another thread, this is the same type of LCD used in your digital watch, and think about how long they run, always displaying something, on a tiny battery.

But yes, organizing songs helps battery life, the big problem for battery life is spinning up the hard drive... if it can buffer the next 20 meg worth of files, it won't have to touch the drive for a while. But if you keep skipping around, it'll kill the battery.

Worry about disk use, not the display. that's where your battery savings are.

paul