Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mocman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2004
I ordered my New PowerMac G5 today and I was needing to know what you guys are using to use win software on mac. I heard about Virtual Pc. Is that the best out there or not. Please list......Thanks

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
mocman said:
I ordered my New PowerMac G5 today and I was needing to know what you guys are using to use win software on mac. I heard about Virtual Pc. Is that the best out there or not. Please list......Thanks

What PC software are you looking to run on your Mac? VPC sucks ***** for games, for sure. I think you're better off finding Mac equivalents, unless you're running something for which there is no Mac s/w?

svenr

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Check the "ibook or centrino" thread at
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/88055/
Scroll down about half way, post #13 gives a nice real-world case complete with screenshot.

VPC does not suck, it works fine for me. It's one of those things that you rarely ever use (otherwise you could've bought a Wintel PC in the first place), but you know it's there when you really need it. It's obviously not meant for action games that need a fast machine even when running on a native PC, so you shouldn't judge it on that.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
If your thought is to buy a Mac, but then use all PC software on it then no... you will be very dissapointed. PC software and Mac software are fundamentally different in how they are coded to work with the OS.

If you are buying a Mac to use it AS a Mac, but there is 1 or 2 basic programs you require that are PC only you could get away with using them via virtual PC. The performance of software within VPC is not that of software running native in OSX.

You could run a basic database program, etc in VPC and be happy with it, but not a 3D app or anything at all significant.

svenr

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Rainbow66 said:
yeah,
but the 3d app would prolly work better on VPC than the mac,
ohsnap.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.