PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 Hard Drive Replacement

qwerty007
Sep 8, 2004, 07:09 PM
I just bought a 200gb Segate Hard Drive for $60 after rebate (can't pass that up). Anywho... I've done some reasearch on how to replace the drive and came across an interesting fact. Several people have noted that the iMac will NOT allow drives bigger than 128gb. So if you put a drive that's bigger than that in there, it will only let you use 128 gb of it. Now, other users have said that they didn't have that problem and that a 200gb drive works fine and there is no lost space. So I'm wondering if anyone knows more about this. Is there a particular revision of the iMac that will let you have a bigger drive in there? Im not exactally sure what revision mine is. I have an 800mHZ iMac with a 60bg drive, 512MB RAM, and a SuperDrive. If anyone can help me out here and tell me if my iMac will see the drive as 200gb or 128 gb that would be great.

Daveway
Sep 8, 2004, 07:49 PM
intersting. I recently bid on an iMac but stopped after the annoncement of the new one. Anyway, this imac had a 160gb hard drive. Either way i recommend you go out and buy an enclosure for the drive, they cost about $20 and most have USB2 and firewire interfaces and use it as an external. This way seems better because you wont risk skrewing up ur imac b/c from what i understand they are very easy to break. Also, you will be able to keep your current hard drive.
Ask for a link for enclosures and ill look for one.