PDA

View Full Version : iPod help!! About to leave the US!!

C-Mezak
Sep 9, 2004, 12:53 AM
Hey all,

Damn. I am leaving for university in the UK on Friday. My 20 gb 4G iPod is acting up. I need some advice!

Here's whats been happening. Not always, but sometimes after an hour or so of play the ipod crashes: sound cuts out, screen freezes, and the unit heats up quite a bit. I mean it really gets hot. During this time I can't restart by holding menu and play, although Im not sure if this is the way to do it on the new ipod.

After another hour or so of being very hot, the ipod shuts down and I can start it. The battery by this time is drained and lasts for another hour perhaps.

I've done a restoree just the other day and when this happened to me today it was the first time I had used it since. Is there anything else I can try?? If not, how should I handle this with apple since I am about to move to Scotland? Will they ship it to my new address if I send it in for repairs?

Thanks for the advice guys. Hope I can figure something out.

Charlie

C-Mezak
Sep 9, 2004, 01:33 AM
Can/should I fsck my ipod?

I tried entering the command:

fsck -y /volumes/ipod and I got back a message listing some sectors that couldnt be read. It also mentioned: "Cant read disc label"

Charlie

JFreak
Sep 9, 2004, 01:36 AM
just send it to apple for a warranty repair, and ask them to return the device to your UK address. or ask your family to send it to you. just get it fixed, that isn't normal.

panda
Sep 9, 2004, 03:49 AM
repairs sound smart.

if indeed it is still under warranty, i would bring it to the uk and send it for repairs there.

this will avoid all sorts of hassles re shippping, customs etc.

the european repair group is spot on. typically, back in 3 days, with ibooks anyway.

good luck