Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maelstromr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
So I started to put an ad up for my Pismo, and then I got the 8th or 9th case of regret about getting rid of literally the best computer I've ever used and decided to ask the forum:

I'm heading to law school NEXT September, and will need a laptop in class for email, wireless access and word, not much beyond that. I have a desktop (see signature) for anything beyond those basic things at home. I want to be able to keep both updated with each other...itunes list, docs, etc, and would appreciate suggestions on how to do that as well. Wireless at home and in school are key, I am aware of the slow-down issues when b (Pismo) and g (Powermac) try to transfer files.

The question is...should I keep both computers, upgrade the Pismo with one of the new processors and keep my beautiful little machine until it falls apart on my lap (and spend an extra $300)? OR Should I sell the pismo at top value now, look into selling desktop before school and buy state of the art new powerbook (G5's out by then?) to replace all (spending probably another $1000)? OR sell pismo now, wait till Sept of next year and acquire current version of ibook? (an extra $500?)

FYI my pismo is set as such: (just in case anyone wants to make an offer too)
Powerbook G3 Pismo, 500 Mhz
640MB RAM
New 30 GB HD
Brand new High capacity OWC battery
Brand new Pram battery
Airport card installed
OS 10.3.5 installed
All the other specs are the same as any factory Pismo.

This machine is in EXCELLENT condition...no dead pixels, no scratches, and only one missing little rubber foot on the bottom. The battery is NEW, the charger is the original but in perfect condition. The DVD/CD drive works fine and the machine is as responsive as the day I bought it. I WILL EVEN SHIP IT IN IT'S ORIGINAL BOX! I take excellent care of my equipment.

I know the financial burden is my decision, but I am looking for opinions on how much that would be and what you gurus think is advisable. I DO like being state of the art, but I'm awefully proud to pull my pretty curvy PB out next to those cold white and aluminum guys at starbucks too! Thanks in advance everyone!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
considering you had already invested in the pismo - the most crucial parts being RAM, HD and battery, all of which you replaced or upgraded - i'd keep it. those upgrades will mean a lot more to you than to anyone who might be interested in buying a pismo. it's an older model afterall and other buyers will not see the value in those replacement/upgrades as much as you do. for emailing and word, it should serve you well until it just dies.

since you have more than a year until you start law school, save up in case your pismo dies... then you have legitimate excuse to get a newer computer.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
maelstromr said:
What do you think of the processor upgrades then? 1 Ghz G3 or 550 Mhz G4? Worth it or keep the current machine?

how much are those upgrades? if more than, say $200, i wouldn't bother. just save for the next one..?

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Keep the Pismo...the best Apple laptop, imo...not as beautiful as it's more modern brethren, but very upgradeable.

My pismo has a G4 500 (550 wasn't released), a 60G 7200rpm HD and 1G ram, and is a capable performer by even today's standards.

If you are willing to spend, you can add a superdrive (from OWC) and a secondary GPU via PCMCIA slot (Villagetronic 32MB) for driving multiple monitors (3) and with dual extended-life batteries, can achieve nearly 10hrs of battery life...

As for the two CPU upgrades, I was not aware that the G3 was up to 1Gz, but most found the G4 upgrade to be preferable to the G3 900, although the 900 was very fast at many tasks...mostly the recommendation stemmed from application compatability (DVD Studio Pro, for example does not work on g3's, many apps optimized for altivec)...depends what you might use it for...

There will probably be future upgrades also...

Sorry, I am a big Pismo fan...

krimson

macrumors 65816
I wouldn't bother spending the extra for the G4/GE upgrades, unless you absolutely have a need for it. the G3/900 (highest i know shipping) on my friends Pismo is extremely hot, you can't wear shorts and have it on your lap, with the bottom touching bare skin. His heats up enough to knock out the airport card after heavy use. It might be a fluke, it might not, we're the only ones in my group that has upgrades.

I say keep it, especially since you already have a new battery, mines down to about 40 minutes of heavy use, 1:30 light use tops.. i can barely do a 2 hour DVD.

VooDooPope

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
The Heights, Houston TX
How I wish my pismo hadn't been sitting right where my roof decided to start leaking.

I do love my Al 15" 1.25ghz but my pismo was still going strong and was by far the most trouble free Mac I ever owned.

maelstromr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
Thanks everyone, it's been helpful to hear your points of view...looks like we are unanimously for the classic Pismo. Anyone have major objections? I would love to hear more about the upgrades too...especially the daystar 550 G4 which has recieved rave reviews. That heat issue IS interesting...I was under the impression that the power consumption and heat creation had decreased dramatically.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
maelstromr said:
Thanks everyone, it's been helpful to hear your points of view...looks like we are unanimously for the classic Pismo. Anyone have major objections? I would love to hear more about the upgrades too...especially the daystar 550 G4 which has recieved rave reviews. That heat issue IS interesting...I was under the impression that the power consumption and heat creation had decreased dramatically.
As I mentioned, I cannot comment on the daystar 550 G4, as it did not exist when I upgraded my processor...I can comment on my Powerlogix 500 G4 upgrade, however...I have had no issues (heat or otherwise) with the upgrade, and a small utility availably from their site allows adjustment of the backside cache...a side note here, is that the G3 500 Pismo generally performs better than the G3 400 model after being upgraded, though I believe the difference is often negligible.

HD and RAM upgrades (to a 7200rpm and 1G) are recommended performance-enhancing upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.