Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagsofenergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
UK
My meagre 250Gb Hard drive is close to bursting.
Photos aren't my income, but I do take a lot of them and they are important.
Suggestions welcome as to how to set up an external archive.

I'd like to access these easily (either direct or through Airport Extreme)

Do I need to partition discs to organise?
I've looked at iPhoto Library manager
Carbon Copy Clone

Areas I am fearful of -
losing tag data
setting up something complicated which won't 'flow'

[I should add that I have a 500gb portable HD on stand by to take the strain off the iMac so I can continue to work.
An interim solution would be appreciated]

Your help/advise/wisdom appreciated

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you have an iMac, and the external drive will always be connected, I'd personally just move the entire iPhoto Library from your iMac's internal drive over to the external drive. That would free up the space on the internal drive. I'd also pick up a second external drive (at some point) and setup Time Machine to backup both your internal drive and external drive, so if anything happens, you'll have a copy of data from both drives.

bagsofenergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
UK
If you have an iMac, and the external drive will always be connected, I'd personally just move the entire iPhoto Library from your iMac's internal drive over to the external drive. That would free up the space on the internal drive. I'd also pick up a second external drive (at some point) and setup Time Machine to backup both your internal drive and external drive, so if anything happens, you'll have a copy of data from both drives.

Thanks for the reply.
If I understand you're point correctly, TM has the ability to allow me to back up from one external HD to another?
How do I do that?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
IIRC, you simply setup Time Machine on the external that you want it to, and it will automatically backup your internal as well as any other externals (not including itself) that you plug in. :)

bagsofenergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
UK
So, the way I've cracked this (in my own mind anyway) is to use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a disk image of the whole iMac on an external 500Gb hard drive for the moment.
I will free up space from my iMac bit by bit.
I'll look to get an external HD to keep tethered to the iMac to build up the photo library and this other to make incremental TM back ups of both.
Let me know if that's twisted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.