PDA

View Full Version : cubase 5 essential. advice/midi device question

sMiK
Mar 23, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hello everyone. I am currently migrating my MAC from pirated software to legal. Meaning I am buying most software that I use and getting rid of any that is pirated. Guilty as charged, I know. I used pirated Cubase on windows years ago, and I think of buying the Essential version, as apparently I will get what I need with it. My questions are to people who use it. I read the comparison pdf between features and a couple of things are still in my mind. Can I use my midi keyboard and trigger finger with it? Can I use my Saffire LE ok with it? Can I use external VST plugins for effects, like waves and stuff from blue tubes for my vocals etc? Basically guys, is that version enough? I am not a professional music producer. I am just an indie hip hop beat maker. I only produce music at home, and record at home with my mic in my closet genuine suggestions appreciated. I am just afraid to get in a situation where I will miss functionality because I used an H2O Cubase SX3. At least I am making a move in a right way. Theoretically I could spend twice more money for the Studio version, but do I really need it?

deej999
Mar 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
why not stick with Garageband? Or Logic Express which I hear is more efficient and optimised for Mac than Cubase.

You need to check the versions of your plugins to see if these are useable with Cubase Essential.

deej

RHELF
Mar 28, 2010, 02:38 AM
yes to all of your questions. MIDI controllers, whether they are keyboards or trigger pads work pretty much the same way and are universal to any DAW. Same goes with interfaces except for digidesign products. You might have to download a driver if you are running snow leopard. As far as using your hacked software, if it worked before, you should be alright. However, there is no guarantee since after all, it is not a legal copy. Hacked software can sometimes become unstable out of nowhere.

I have used the full(legal) versions of cubase 5 on both mac and pc(32 and 64bit) on leopard, snow leopard, windows XP, vista, and 7 and have had zero issues as far as compatibility and stability while running some pretty intensive projects.

Cubase 5 Essential may limit your inputs and number of tracks and definitely does not give you the same amount of plugins as the same version (ex.LoopMash, Variaudio) so keep that in mind. It might not matter to you.

sMiK
Mar 29, 2010, 01:08 AM
deej999 garageband compared to cubase is like a mac mini compared to a mac pro. And logic express - no, if I pay for software I'd rather pay for Cubase, which is a lot closer to me. I like the fact that you have loads of instruments in Logic though. But it's only factory stuff which everyone might be using, and I'm bored with them, plus they take too much space on the HDD, most of them are not getting used here by me. Any suggestions on good plugins for classical instruments like piano, strings, bass etc? Because most of them seem to be more expensive than the actual DAW

deej999
Mar 31, 2010, 02:40 AM
deej999 garageband compared to cubase is like a mac mini compared to a mac pro. And logic express - no, if I pay for software I'd rather pay for Cubase, which is a lot closer to me. I like the fact that you have loads of instruments in Logic though. But it's only factory stuff which everyone might be using, and I'm bored with them, plus they take too much space on the HDD, most of them are not getting used here by me. Any suggestions on good plugins for classical instruments like piano, strings, bass etc? Because most of them seem to be more expensive than the actual DAW

Point taken. Why would you dismiss Logic Express because other producers use it??? The plugins have presets, but the built-in instruments and effects are very good and you can programme your own sounds easily.

Maybe you are talking about Apple loops? Even these can be used creatively.

If you are set on Cubase that's cool. Trilian or Scarbee for Bass. VSL are very good. You are correct they are expensive.

deej