Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Numbski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
St. Louis
The display backlight on my 12" powerbook has died on me. Apple's fix is to replace the display module, a repair that costs over $1000, not to mention the depot fee. Ugh. :(

Anyway, that being said, for the moment I have it hooked to a studio display, and I'm working on getting a new powerbook. What I can't remember, is how long ago did the current line of powerbooks get released? They usually see upgrades anually, so I'm wondering based on that logic how long it would be to wait for another release, or if I'm far enough between releases that I should just go ahead and get it over with.

I never ever ever ever buy a model that's more than 7 or 8 months old. That's just asking to devalue your machine in short order. I don't care about a G5 powerbook (though it would be sweet), I just don't want to get something that will be outdated within a month or two.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Sorry to hear your tale of woe! This means the backlight died just a few months after your one-year warranty expired? :(

Well, according to the Buyers Guide, new Powerbooks may be coming out soon. The last update was in late April.

If you can wait, I'd recommend it -- even if you don't want a new Rev D, you can usually find some major discounts on Rev C's ...

Of course, if you wanted to get a new Powerbook now, there's the Cram and Jam promo. Also, last I saw, Amazon had $150 rebates on Apple laptops.

Good luck!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Numbski said:
I never ever ever ever buy a model that's more than 7 or 8 months old. That's just asking to devalue your machine in short order. I don't care about a G5 powerbook (though it would be sweet), I just don't want to get something that will be outdated within a month or two.

ouch. i think you are right in the thick of it... it's possible we'll see an update in the next few months, maybe nov. but there's a good chance for sure since PBs are 5+ months old. however, you may have to wait until Jan. at worst...

if you need the computer, then you should just buy, of course... because even if new machines are announced at MWSF in Jan., we all know that ain't the same thing as actually shipping... so who knows when you'll actually have the PB in your hands when you order in Jan..?

Numbski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
St. Louis
dotnina said:
Sorry to hear your tale of woe! This means the backlight died just a few months after your one-year warranty expired? :(

You got it. Of course, my company owns it, and they're cheapo extreme. They didn't get AppleCare on it despite me pestering, howling, complaining, etc.

I've been looking for a second hand display module off a broken 12" powerbook with no luck. Seems the LCD is the first thing to go most of the time. Sheesh. Based on another friend's observations with a 17", the backlight seems to be 'highly integrated' (read: super glued) to the lcd itself, thus not easily replaceable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.