Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120325-iphone_mail.jpg

The flood of terse emails from Apple CEO Steve Jobs continues (via TUAW), this time responding from his iPad with a simple "Yep" to a question from a user about whether the iPhone's Mail functionality will gain a "universal mailbox" as found in Mail on Mac OS X.
Anyway, I just have one question for you: will iPhone ever have a universal mailbox just like Mail has on my Mac? It would be so much easier and efficient.
iPhone users with multiple email accounts on their devices currently must manually navigate between accounts to check for messages in each one, whereas Mail on Mac OS X presents a single Inbox with messages from all accounts displayed in a single window. Jobs' reply suggest that such Mac OS X-like Mail functionality is planned for the iPhone, although it is unknown when the change might be implemented.

Apple is widely expected to introduce new iPhone models, and presumably an updated "iPhone OS 4.0", sometime in the June or July timeframe if past releases can be trusted as an indication.

Also mentioned in TUAW's report are brief emails from Jobs arguing for iPhoto over Google's Picasa for photo management and noting that users will be able to move documents onto the iPad.

Article Link: iPhone OS to Gain Universal Inbox for Mail?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i am loving these responses.

we now have:

"not that big of a deal"

"yep"

"not to worry"

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i have a blackberry and iphone. when the iphone vibrates i usually check my BB since it's easier to see the latest message. but i like the iphone mail app better overall since it has all my MS Exchange folders properly organized

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I've definitely been waiting for this one. Have 3 separate email accounts that I use regularly. This will come in SUPER handy for me, especially as I file all my messages into subfolders of only one of the accounts...

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Ah yes fantastic, i have three mail accounts on my iPhone this would be much better. Id also like to have a notification pop up like when you get a text that tells you who mail is from and the subject line etc.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
But I prefer the seperate inboxes.

I think they are still separate, Mail.app just offers a way to see all the mail from one location. If you look in the inbox you can actually single out which mailbox you want to see the inbox for.

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
The flood of terse emails from Apple CEO Steve Jobs continues (via TUAW), this time responding from his iPad with a simple "Yep" to a question from a user about whether the iPhone's Mail functionality will gain a "universal mailbox" as found in Mail on Mac OS X.

Good idea, but how about the ability to collapse the Exchange mail folder hierarchy? It takes a long time to scroll through my many hundreds of folders and it would be great to be able to expand / collapse portions of the tree at will :)

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
I think I may have received the longest email reply from Steve ever!

This was back in 2008, I sent a quick email asking why he felt the Safari UI needed changing (i work in design).

His first reply was "Why not?"

I then argued about UI and he came back with:

"Steve,

We're pretty good at UI. Give us a bit more credit than you are. This makes the search much more discoverable than it has been. We get a lot of feedback on it.

Steve"

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
I have been waiting for this for some time. I would be real excited if there was the option to have badges for new emails on it too, in like r ed badge icon.

But- Hey Steve! I emailed you about this too and you never responded. I also asked about a 15.4" macbook air. What gives Steve? Where my 15 minutes of fame on TUAW? :)

delux246

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Los Angeles
the question is just as bad as the answer, "will iPhone ever have..." Ever is a long time so I'm sure at some point the iPhone will have a universal mailbox someday... maybe in 4.0, maybe not.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Old SJ is really going to wish that he hadn't responded to all these recent emails - cue the flood of noobs emailing him questions.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I think I may have received the longest email reply from Steve ever!

This was back in 2008, I sent a quick email asking why he felt the Safari UI needed changing (i work in design).

His first reply was "Why not?"

I then argued about UI and he came back with:

"Steve,

We're pretty good at UI. Give us a bit more credit than you are. This makes the search much more discoverable than it has been. We get a lot of feedback on it.

Steve"

How about one app, with mutiple screens so that you can see each mail account and all the folders one account at a time. Almost like scrolling left and right on your home screen? I bet I could bet used to have a "ME" and "GMAIL" and my ARMY email all in one app as long as all the email doesn't go to one folder...
:eek:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I have 1 e-mail account for work, 1 for personal use and 1 for junk, and I would really prefer to keep those 3 separate from each other.

hopefully their will be a Merge on/off switch.

enberg

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Now, if they'd only let you autocheck other folders than just the inbox on startup. Having to manually enter each folder makes serverside sorting kinda painful.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I check 7 different accounts on my iPhone and would love a centralized inbox to show all of them to me, but having some way to quickly differentiate which mail is in which box while in that common inbox would be helpful. Different colored dots or something next to the title maybe? Dunno - but something would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.