Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cawas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Afaik, the extra command line options were never added to the Mac version. Best you have is holding 'Option' while launching the game. If the option you are after is not in there, it probably can't be done.

Thanks! I hope you're wrong, tho. ;)

Velocifero

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
Afaik, the extra command line options were never added to the Mac version. Best you have is holding 'Option' while launching the game. If the option you are after is not in there, it probably can't be done.
This method works, but it isn't true widescreen. It's stretched to fill the entire screen but this distorts everything in the game a little, squishing it. I can't say this is better and might revert back to 4:3. I would like to know how to enter the "-skiptobnet" command though.

cawas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
the problem probably is...

It seems like Diablo 2 runs in intel macs through Rosetta, an emulation piece of software that which is "the greatest software you'll never see", as apple advertises it.

That's basically why it runs so badly in mac, and we don't have any new OSX features for it. It's not that the game is ported and done by blizzard to work in Intel Macs, it's just using a generic Apple tool to do it.

So, in a nut shell, just give up and get to play new games already or stick with all those minor issues, since the game does run fine enough! :p

a1ultima

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2019
Ok, so the new patch will allow command line options, like -nosound... But, how do we use them on the mac?

All the responses here are lies... I got it to work very quickly (thank goodness for my programming experience), steps are as follows:

Step 1 - Open a terminal and change directory into the Diablo II - Lord of Destruction installation folder by typing:

cd /Applications/Diablo II/Diablo II.app/Contents/MacOS

Step 2 - Run the diablo application from the terminal with any of the options you wish, via the "flag" notation. A flag being e.g. -w (for windowed) and -nosound (for no sound), type this in your terminal to run a windowed diablo II game with no sound:

./Diablo\ II -w -nosound

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.