Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i still wish apple would come back with the cube, just at a lower price, people have definately warmed up to the idea of having such a small computer ect ect, i wish i had money to buy a cube just for fun :(

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Absolutely!

PlaceofDis said:
i still wish apple would come back with the cube, just at a lower price, people have definately warmed up to the idea of having such a small computer ect ect, i wish i had money to buy a cube just for fun :(
I wish they would to I would buy a cube in a heartbeat!!

Nuc

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Nuc said:
I wish they would to I would buy a cube in a heartbeat!!

Nuc

I'm not sure, but I certainly would like to have one to use as a backup. If nothing else a great addition on my desk.

Just glade to see that the concept of the Cube is still alive. It's a private initiative also: "The CubeSat initiative is a global congregation of universities and private firms striving to advance small satellite technology. Of the participating universities, more than 60 percent of CubeSat developers reside in the United States."

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Ohhh yes, bring back the cube ! I am hoping now for a long time that Apple brings back the cube, but I guess it will not happen.

BTW Apple was really really ahead of time with the Newton ;) :rolleyes:

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Another thing that I noticed is that these cubes are 4 inches on a side. For those of you with G4 Cubes, I believe you'll find them to be about 8 inches per side. That means that these satellites are 1/8th the size of a G4 Cube.

Probably because as satellites in space, they probably don't have that pesky cooling issue with a G5 chip.

But really - aiming to find a satellite that is 4 inches square is almost mind-boggling to me.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
This is interesting, but even the developer has mentioned that he has no real idea what to use them for yet - what the killer app will be. Its a research and at $30k-$40k, not something that everyone's going to have.

And at 2 pounds for a 4 inch cube, it makes me wonder what they've got in there....

D

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I think that given the actual internals of the G4 iMac and the G5 iMac, a newer style cube, aka headless iMac could be feasible at a decent price point.

Give it all the features of the current iMac, but without the monitor. Of course, people would howl with rage at lack of PCI, user upgradeable AGP, etc. But it would be beneficial as a product matrix model to sell a G5 cube, for 500 less than the G5 iMac.

When the G4 cube debuted it was a manufacturing nightmare. It costs a lot to make those cases. With current design themes, these could be aluminum style and look nice and cost much less. Who knows, maybe this is in the works.

amyhre

macrumors member
May 13, 2002
How about some way of bringing back the Cube and enabling it to duel boot, minimal operating instructions, as a GameCube. Some of us know the GameCube already uses a modified PPC G4 chipset. Better yet, find a way of partnering with Sony and making a PS2 with no load time. I know, that's way too much to ask for, so I'll settle for just a Cube. Damn that power button was cool!

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
CmdrLaForge said:
Ohhh yes, bring back the cube ! I am hoping now for a long time that Apple brings back the cube, but I guess it will not happen.

I think there are too many cooling issues with the G5 to see a cube any time soon.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
themadchemist said:
I think there are too many cooling issues with the G5 to see a cube any time soon.
It'd still be a Cube, even if it was fan cooled and a little bigger. Upgradable AGP, priced a little lower than the iMac, say $999 with similar internals. Even if it was a newer G4, I still think it would sell. But Apple doesn't seem to be interested in the lower end stuff. eMac is the best you're going to get at this point.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Cube, Cube, long live the cube...

Apple, Steve, Bring the cube again, I'll be getting one in the first second, if rumors about a cube do not appear from here to WWDC 05, I guess I'll get one, just for fun...:) ... Come on, it is not that hard... is it?

(I know it is but let me dream a while) (Liquid cooled G5 cube @ 2 GHz)

:cool:

Has anyone started a petition online...? :rolleyes:

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
pc rip off versions of the cube are starting to get quite popular now, they even put athon 64s in them and everything!! and they claim to run silent etc etc. People obviously want smaller computers!!!! that or a laptop according to current sales figures.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
emw said:
So it appears that, once again, Apple was just too far out in front with their designs. If only they had held out a little longer on the Cube:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/09/09/space.cubes/index.html

all i can think of is:
We are the borg.
Lower your shields and surrender your ships.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us.
Resistance is futile.

I know, a bit too much star trek for me.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Jimong5 said:
all i can think of is:
We are the borg.
Lower your shields and surrender your ships.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us.
Resistance is futile.

I know, a bit too much star trek for me.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Great minds think alike! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.