PDA

View Full Version : Zinio for iPad

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 23, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've used Zinio for a a couple of years and it's totally a joy to use. I recently downloaded the app for my iPod Touch and I'm glad to see an iPad version coming soon. Anyone else use Zinio for magazine subscriptions?

Zinio for iPad Link (http://www.zinio.com/splash.jsp?code=ipad) :D

Alchematron
Mar 23, 2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah it will be cool

MarkG21
Mar 23, 2010, 08:41 PM
Will Zinio let you put all of your magazines on the iPad such as the adult ones like playboy? Or will Apple say no to that? How is it on the iphone/touch version?

flyguy206
Mar 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
Will Zinio let you put all of your magazines on the iPad such as the adult ones like playboy? Or will Apple say no to that? How is it on the iphone/touch version?

apple allows playboy.:apple:

jeffy777
Mar 23, 2010, 09:01 PM
Looking forward to this.

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 23, 2010, 09:01 PM

In the link (http://www.zinio.com/browse/category/index.jsp?sort=product.displayName&categoryId=cat2000010&prnt=null&start=1), it shows 10 pages of magazines available for subscription. The good thing is it's not limited to just one device. If I download it on my PC, I can download it on my Mac & iPod Touch and any other device that handles the Zinio browser. If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch, you can download Zinio free from the app store and I think there's a sample magazine you can view. Then you can view the magazines available, but you have to purchase a subscription. Macworld and iPhone Life are available. As far as the adult mags go, I'm not sure what's available, but I think I've seen Penthouse for the desktop version, so far. But, that doesn't mean they won't have it in the future because they keep adding magazines to the iPod version. In fact, when I first downloaded it from the app store, there were only like 9-12 magazines available and now there's a hundred or more.

Anyway, here's a youtube video if you want to see a demo.

Youtube Link for Zinio iPhone Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9TSojPQ0hM)

Peace
Mar 23, 2010, 09:05 PM
Cool. I remember when the Zinio reader came with a new Mac.

cualexander
Mar 23, 2010, 09:20 PM
Zinio is frankly one of the most exciting aspects of the iPad for me. Zinio for PC just doesn't really cut it. There is just nothing really exciting about reading magazines on a screen and using the mouse. I want it in front of me, where I can lounge back and read it at my leisure, touch the pages.

I'm so stoked about digital magazines. I love magazines, and not having to wait to get them in the mail and being able to browse through all the old issues without having to keep stacks of magazines floating around will be awesome.

Seriously, the iPad is going to be the best thing for the digital print medium. It's the perfect size for this. I hope Zinio releases their app on the 3rd because I will download it in a heartbeat.

Newspapers, magazines, books. I mean the publishing industry should just be loving this right now. Kindle was good for books, but the magazines and newspaper subscriptions they had were a big fat joke.

AJsAWiz
Mar 23, 2010, 09:32 PM
I've used Zinio for a a couple of years and it's totally a joy to use. I recently downloaded the app for my iPod Touch and I'm glad to see an iPad version coming soon. Anyone else use Zinio for magazine subscriptions?

I will now! Thanks for posting :)

EddyP
Mar 23, 2010, 09:41 PM
Wow. Thanks for this link. I had no idea about this. Very useful.

Tom G.
Mar 23, 2010, 09:42 PM
I have Zinio on my iMac, and of course have a digital magazine that I read on it. If I put the app on my iPhone and on my iPad when I get it will I have to get another subscription for each or can I read my magazine on any device that I have access to at the moment?

Thanks,

Tom G.

MikhailT
Mar 23, 2010, 09:45 PM
I have Zinio on my iMac, and of course have a digital magazine that I read on it. If I put the app on my iPhone and on my iPad when I get it will I have to get another subscription for each or can I read my magazine on any device that I have access to at the moment?

Thanks,

Tom G.

You are paying for the subscription itself, not the access. You can read it at any one time, provided that you download them. From their FAQs,

Q: Can I have the Zinio Reader installed on more than one computer?

A: Yes. It is no problem to have your magazine on more than one computer. First, install the Zinio Reader on both computers. Note: when you go to the zinio.com website to install, make sure you log in to the website using the same account (same username and password) from both machines. Once installed, your magazine subscription will be automatically delivered to one computer, and you will need to manually download it on the second computer (which is easy to do). Which computer gets the magazine automatically? The computer that is turned on and happens to ping the zinio.com server first after the magazine becomes available will get it automatically. (Remember that the Zinio Delivery Manager will automatically retrieve the issue only if you leave the auto-delivery option turned on.) For the second computer, to get the issue manually, go to http://www.zinio.com/gncmylibrary and choose the option to download the magazine again.

Q: Is there an expiration or limit to how many times I can view my publications?

A: No. There is no expiration and no limit to how many times you can view your magazines!

Alchematron
Mar 23, 2010, 10:27 PM
apple allows playboy.:apple:

iPhone = too small

iPad = oh yeah

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 23, 2010, 10:43 PM
I just noticed on their website it says:

featuring new interactive iPad editions for top titles and access to thousands of magazines from around the world.

I wonder how the interactive part is going to work...:cool:

MikhailT
Mar 23, 2010, 10:46 PM

featuring new interactive iPad editions for top titles and access to thousands of magazines from around the world.

If you look at the iPhone demo, that's basically the same interactivity they are going to use.

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 23, 2010, 10:48 PM
If you look at the iPhone demo, that's basically the same interactivity they are going to use.

ok, I was thinking they were adding something more to the iPad version.

jeffy777
Mar 23, 2010, 10:50 PM

Hopefully it will be similar to this:

Wired Magazine for the iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwFbwHaP5tE)

MikhailT
Mar 23, 2010, 10:50 PM
ok, I was thinking they were adding something more to the iPad version.

I could be totally wrong, but how much more interactive can it be compared to iPhone?

MikhailT
Mar 23, 2010, 10:55 PM
http://www.zinio.com/interactive/, those are most likely the iPad versions.

GadgetX
Mar 23, 2010, 11:42 PM
Hopefully it'll be better than the iPhone app. Can't say I've used it before but it only has 2 stars

thejakill
Mar 24, 2010, 02:41 AM
Looks cool on the iPhone but the screen is just too small.

Should be good to go on the ipad.

pjgeer
Mar 24, 2010, 09:28 AM
I love the FAQ about two machines and which will get the auto download. It is just like going to the mailbox at the end of the drive, whoever gets there first gets the easiest "download" method, lol. :p

I have this in the Touch, but only after the iPad was announced, wanted to see what it was. I have a wishlist of mags that I will subscribe to once I have my iPad. It is awesome not to have to pay an inflated price for US magazines shipped to Canada for once! :D

Pj

AJsAWiz
Mar 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hopefully it will be similar to this:

Wired Magazine for the iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwFbwHaP5tE)

I used to subscribe to Wired and now I'm tempted to subscribe (to the digital version) again because it looks so cool on the iPad :)

wolfpackfan
Mar 24, 2010, 10:16 AM
I just tried the iPhone app put but none of the mags I'm interested in are available for the iPhone. I wonder why they are so restrictive. I wonder if the same problem will happen with the iPad.

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
I just tried the iPhone app put but none of the mags I'm interested in are available for the iPhone. I wonder why they are so restrictive. I wonder if the same problem will happen with the iPad.

Zinio for the iPhone is a new app. They are still in the process of converting their current digital magazines to the iPhone/iPad format. So, it's not that they're being restrictive, they just haven't finished converting all the magazines yet. :)

wolfpackfan
Mar 24, 2010, 11:19 AM
Well I found a mag that I read regularly - Islands. And it is available for the iPhone, so I subscribed. I also saw that National Geographic and NG Traveller are on there but not for the iPhone. If they come out with an iPad version, I will subsribe to them also. In the meantime I'm excited about Islands on my iPhone and eventually on my iPad. I do have to say the online reading and also the Mac reader really aren't that impressive. Plus I have a free mag that just showed up in my list, which I have no interest in but see no way to get rid of it.

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 24, 2010, 11:49 AM
Well I found a mag that I read regularly - Islands. And it is available for the iPhone, so I subscribed. I also saw that National Geographic and NG Traveller are on there but not for the iPhone. If they come out with an iPad version, I will subsribe to them also. In the meantime I'm excited about Islands on my iPhone and eventually on my iPad. I do have to say the online reading and also the Mac reader really aren't that impressive. Plus I have a free mag that just showed up in my list, which I have no interest in but see no way to get rid of it.

My Library
Edit button top right of screen
Select Magazine
Delete

Hope this helps. :)

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 25, 2010, 04:06 PM
PC World - iPad Magazine Pricing: More Known Than You Think (http://www.pcworld.com/article/192441/ipad_magazine_pricing_more_known_than_you_think.html)

Go Zinio

bigdog5142
Mar 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
Zinio iPad might be great. Zinio iPhone sucked. Too clunky (could be my 3G, not 3Gs) and was hard to read content. Zinio for Mac sucked too. Couldn't get my Macworld subscription to sync...EVER. Could never download and customer service was crap.

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 26, 2010, 01:04 AM
Zinio wants to turn Blogs into Magzines and call them Blogazine. It will arrange blogs in chronological order.

Blogs Become Mags

Video-enabled, highly interactive magazines aren't the only types of new magazine experiences coming to the iPad, either. Another developer has the idea of turning your favorite web blogs into your own, custom digital creations. Called "Blogazine," this new iPad app will let you virtually flip through blog articles in chronological order.

The concept is easy to grasp - blogs become magazines. From a centrally located button, you can tap to change from one blog to another. Another feature lets you quickly share an article on Facebook or Twitter. The app will soon arrive for the iPhone too, but it's on the iPad where it will really shine.

Zinio (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/first_looks_magazines_on_the_ipad.php)

wingnut8
Mar 26, 2010, 01:52 AM
is Zinio available for reading offline?

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 26, 2010, 09:39 AM
is Zinio available for reading offline?

Yes, after the magazine has been downloaded to your device. And, in case you're concerned about storage space, you can delete the magazine when you're done reading it. What's cool about Zinio, is, you can download the magazine anywhere you can download the Zinio browser. It also automatically checks for new subscriptions and if it's not connected to the Internet, it'll give you an error message. Just cancel that out and you can read your previous downloaded magazines.

Love the app. I've been using it on my desktop for years and I'm happy they're making an iPad version.

vertigo235
Mar 26, 2010, 10:41 AM
The only issue I noticed with the iPhone version is that the photos were low quality and pixilated if you zoomed in on them.

I assume/hope the iPad version will have higher quality photos, as the web version does. But I'll hold off on subscribing to some of the more expensive magazines until I can confirm this.

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
The only issue I noticed with the iPhone version is that the photos were low quality and pixilated if you zoomed in on them.

I assume/hope the iPad version will have higher quality photos, as the web version does. But I'll hold off on subscribing to some of the more expensive magazines until I can confirm this.

Totally agree about the low photo quality with zoom. iPad's screen resolution is much higher and I hope it'll look more like the desktop version.

aduteau
Mar 30, 2010, 07:38 AM
Well ever since I saw that post about Zinio, I was really impressed with their magazine selection. I was about to subscribe to a couple (Only because I want to read them on an iPad). Then I started wondering ...do you guys think that all these magazines will eventually have their own apps … and cut Zinio support ?
I know Wired magazines are showing off their app for what they think an electronics magazine should look like …
Maybe others will take the same route ??

talkingfuture
Mar 30, 2010, 07:49 AM
I think each magazine will end up making their own apps. So you'll just buy the Wired app and have access to Wired, then you buy the apps for other magazines.

aduteau
Mar 30, 2010, 10:28 AM
So in the end ... digital magazines like the ones Zinio is offering ... are just going to disappear ? Do you guys think this is going to be a dead format in a couple of years ?

Unprocessed1
Mar 30, 2010, 10:31 AM
So in the end ... digital magazines like the ones Zinio is offering ... are just going to disappear ? Do you guys think this is going to be a dead format in a couple of years ?

No one knows, we'll see how well each concept works.

AJsAWiz
Mar 30, 2010, 10:31 AM
Well ever since I saw that post about Zinio, I was really impressed with their magazine selection. I was about to subscribe to a couple (Only because I want to read them on an iPad). Then I started wondering ...do you guys think that all these magazines will eventually have their own apps … and cut Zinio support ?
I know Wired magazines are showing off their app for what they think an electronics magazine should look like …
Maybe others will take the same route ??

According to what I've read online, magazines are prepping their own app. So, I will wait before using Zinio to see what happens on the App Store in regards to magazines.

vini-vidi-vici
Mar 30, 2010, 10:37 AM

I think there will be a lot of magazines/publishers who simply don't have the bandwidth or expertise or resource to develop their own app... especially one that compares favorably to pre-packaged solutions. My guess is that the big names will have their own apps, but smaller & independent magazines will use things like zinio.

AJsAWiz
Mar 30, 2010, 10:54 AM
I think there will be a lot of magazines/publishers who simply don't have the bandwidth or expertise or resource to develop their own app... especially one that compares favorably to pre-packaged solutions. My guess is that the big names will have their own apps, but smaller & independent magazines will use things like zinio.

You mean smaller independent magazines like PC Magazine, Car and Driver, Computer Shopper, Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Kiplinger's. MacWorld, PC World, Seventeen and O (don't tell Oprah her magazine is small LOL) ? ? ?
Those are just a few of Zinio's offerings ;)

aduteau
Mar 30, 2010, 11:05 AM
I wonder what specific apps will bring more then the Zinio offering ....
Interactive features ..... ??
Zinio already offers Magazines with those ....
hummmm :confused:

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
Since Zinio is subscription based, the magazines are tied into fulfilling those orders (unless they close up shop). I don't know what kind of contract exists between Zinio and the publisher, but I know they don't want to upset their customers who paid for their subscriptions.

Maybe they'll have some sort of special where you can upgrade your subscription to the iTunes app or maybe they'll let you access both until your subscription runs out so you'll remain a loyal customer.

If you want a subscription, get a subscription. BTW, with Zinio, you also have the option of ordering each magazine separately and forgoing subscription based magazines.

vini-vidi-vici
Mar 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
You mean smaller independent magazines like PC Magazine, Car and Driver, Computer Shopper, Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Kiplinger's. MacWorld, PC World, Seventeen and O (don't tell Oprah her magazine is small LOL) ? ? ?
Those are just a few of Zinio's offerings ;)

Some of those might eventually migrate to their own app if they wanted to do something unique... that's what the OP was wondering about. I don't know... maybe they will or maybe they won't. But there are hundreds of smaller magazines that will not be able to migrate. That's what I'm talking about.

I also wonder about things like trade publications, and company newsletters - which might be free. Could these exist in something like zinio? I don't actually have it, so I can't tell...

LadyHoneyBabe
Mar 31, 2010, 01:54 AM
Looks like they have the iPad version ready for the launch.

http://www.zinio.com/splash.jsp?code=ipad

wingnut8
Mar 31, 2010, 02:27 AM
Looks like they have the iPad version ready for the launch.

http://www.zinio.com/splash.jsp?code=ipad
it just says April?

cualexander
Mar 31, 2010, 07:12 AM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=12357&tag=col1;post-12511

This article has some comments from Zinio, and apparently not only is Playboy not allowed, but Maxim, FHM, and similar magazines are also not allowed. Apple has some sort of regional content review that bans certain things from certain regions, aka United States. Apparently, Vogue France is banned as well because they occasionally show artistic nudity.

If this stands, I'm going to be really pissed about it.

OpenThirdeye
Mar 31, 2010, 07:15 AM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=12357&tag=col1;post-12511

This article has some comments from Zinio, and apparently not only is Playboy not allowed, but Maxim, FHM, and similar magazines are also not allowed. Apple has some sort of regional content review that bans certain things from certain regions, aka United States. Apparently, Vogue France is banned as well because they occasionally show artistic nudity.

If this stands, I'm going to be really pissed about it.

I thought I saw Penthouse as one of their 'featured' magazines?

cualexander
Mar 31, 2010, 07:58 AM
I thought I saw Penthouse as one of their 'featured' magazines?

For the iPad? Zinio itself has all those magazines like that, but the question remains as to whether Apple will allow them on the iPad. If Apple blocks it, Zinio will just be the one hurt. You can get PDFs of those magazines in other places...

jeffy777
Apr 3, 2010, 10:07 PM
For those interested in reading magazines on your iPad, download Zinio.

You can subscribe to your favorite mags right in the app, and most subscriptions are cheap ($15 or less for a year, many are only $10).

They even have Maxim :)

cualexander
Apr 3, 2010, 10:12 PM
I really like Zinio and they offer magazine subscriptions and all your magazines in one app. Much better than all those separate apps. i like their iPad app.

Kurfer
Apr 3, 2010, 10:36 PM
I really like Zinio and they offer magazine subscriptions and all your magazines in one app. Much better than all those separate apps. i like their iPad app.

I'm not too thrilled they removed the adult section on the app itself, I really hate censorship.

demiurgical
Apr 3, 2010, 10:38 PM
finally! been searching the AppStore all day for the iPad version. glad the hi-res images are back and better :)

Alchematron
Apr 3, 2010, 10:46 PM
Thanx I can't wait to try it

vertigo235
Apr 3, 2010, 11:12 PM
Wonder why they released a separate universal app, instead of just updating the one that already existed for iPhone to a universal app.

Anyhow, so you confirm that the photos are not pixelated like they are on the iPhone?

I don't have iPad yet because I'm waiting for the 3G :(

cualexander
Apr 3, 2010, 11:35 PM
Definitely not pixelated. The iPhone app was pretty bad if you zoomed in on the image. That doesn't happen here. Yes, I lament the loss of adult magazines, but I'll take what I can get for the time being. Maybe they will lighten up or something. It is pretty ridiculous that Apple feels the need to censor everything.

Brammy
Apr 3, 2010, 11:45 PM
I'm not too thrilled they removed the adult section on the app itself, I really hate censorship.

Just out of curiosity, if you buy a mag via the website will it sync down?

vertigo235
Apr 3, 2010, 11:46 PM
Definitely not pixelated. The iPhone app was pretty bad if you zoomed in on the image. That doesn't happen here. Yes, I lament the loss of adult magazines, but I'll take what I can get for the time being. Maybe they will lighten up or something. It is pretty ridiculous that Apple feels the need to censor everything.

Excellent news, maybe I'll go ahead and subscribe to some more magazines then!

Maximillian
Apr 4, 2010, 09:54 AM
It's not working AT ALL for me. It won't boot up.

Maximillian
Apr 4, 2010, 09:55 AM
It's not working AT ALL for me. It won't boot up. Ideas?

jeffy777
Apr 4, 2010, 09:58 AM
Maybe try rebooting your iPad. If that doesn't work then try deleting the app then redownloading it.

HXGuy
Apr 4, 2010, 10:01 AM
Nice app, and the year subscriptions are pretty decent in price plus some seem totally free?

One thing I don't like is that it takes a couple seconds for each page to come into focus when you flip the page which is annoying. The app alsoncrashed on me once.

jeffy777
Apr 4, 2010, 10:04 AM
Nice app, and the year subscriptions are pretty decent in price plus some seem totally free?

One thing I don't like is that it takes a couple seconds for each page to come into focus when you flip the page which is annoying. The app alsoncrashed on me once.

Which ones are free?

Also, I think maybe it has to do the focus thing for memory reasons because the PDF reader I use does that as well.

ngenerator
Apr 4, 2010, 10:06 AM
Only certain sections of some magazines were free

HXGuy
Apr 4, 2010, 10:08 AM
The Car and Driver seemed to be completely free as did Macworld...unless they charged me and I don't know about it or they may have been older issues. Go to the Read section in the program.

MacRy
Apr 4, 2010, 10:57 AM
Anyone care to post some pics of it in action? I ask as I have discovered this app in the last couple of days and i'm really excited about getting it so I can subscribe to Motorcycle Sport and Leisure magazine which I purchase monthly in magazine format. If it looks decent on the iPad then I will definitely subscribe. Come on UK prices!

atlert
Apr 4, 2010, 11:07 AM
It's not working AT ALL for me. It won't boot up. Ideas?

I have the same issue. The screen is just black. Guess the app is still buggy

sushi
Apr 4, 2010, 11:11 AM
The Car and Driver seemed to be completely free as did Macworld...unless they charged me and I don't know about it or they may have been older issues.
They have some free samples of various magazines.

There subscription system is simple and easy to use. There are more desktop versions of the magazines but Zinio is translating them to iPhone/iPad versions as quickly as they can.

In fact Zinio works so well, that I am beginning to hate them. I have too many subscriptions! :mad: It's so darn convenient. :)

illutionz
Apr 4, 2010, 11:13 AM
Anyone care to post some pics of it in action? I ask as I have discovered this app in the last couple of days and i'm really excited about getting it so I can subscribe to Motorcycle Sport and Leisure magazine which I purchase monthly in magazine format. If it looks decent on the iPad then I will definitely subscribe. Come on UK prices!

I do have ONE picture of Zinio in action on my gallery....
http://picasaweb.google.com/illutionz/IPad?feat=directlink

The very last picture :rolleyes:

It is good and not blurry at all :)

msduncan
Apr 4, 2010, 11:34 AM
Anyone try these?

Are they essentially scanned mags with no extra content? Was considering trying Maxim.

kevhui
Apr 4, 2010, 11:40 AM
I used the PC version and no, the magazines are not just the scanned copies. Really nice looking and some pages with interactive features.

Not sure about the iPad version but I bet they are the same.

MacRy
Apr 4, 2010, 11:45 AM
Cool. Thanks for that pic. How does it perform? Is it a decent substitute for a magazine?

sushi
Apr 4, 2010, 11:47 AM
It is good and not blurry at all :)
Thanks for the pic.

On a different topic, can you take a screen shot with the iPad like on the iPhone/iPod touch?

illutionz
Apr 4, 2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the pic.

On a different topic, can you take a screen shot with the iPad like on the iPhone/iPod touch?

You sure can... :)

Cool. Thanks for that pic. How does it perform? Is it a decent substitute for a magazine?

I think it's a decent substitute... they are working hard to convert all their catalogue to be compatible with iPad... I noticed The Economist is on their site but NOT on iPad Zinio store yet

AJsAWiz
Apr 4, 2010, 12:11 PM
For those interested in reading magazines on your iPad, download Zinio.

You can subscribe to your favorite mags right in the app, and most subscriptions are cheap ($15 or less for a year, many are only $10).

They even have Maxim :)

They do have a nice selection of magazines. Have you (or anyone here) subscribed to a magazine through Zinio? I was wondering how they look on the iPad.

jon snow
Apr 4, 2010, 12:13 PM
They do have a nice selection of magazines. Have you (or anyone here) subscribed to a magazine through Zinio? I was wondering how they look on the iPad.

Download the app. There are samples you can try out.

HXGuy
Apr 4, 2010, 12:15 PM
I find the time it takes for the pages to come into focus pretty annoying and surprising. The Time magazine seems much faster.

illutionz
Apr 4, 2010, 12:17 PM
I find the time it takes for the pages to come into focus pretty annoying and surprising. The Time magazine seems much faster.

... and a lot more expensive too ;)
These individual magazine firms need to offer bulk subscription offer like Zinio... paying 5 bucks for EACH edition is rather sad :(

kultschar
Apr 4, 2010, 12:21 PM
This looks great!!

2 Questions

1) How big approx is one magazine file size wise?
2) How are the mags stored file wise or are they built into the app??

illutionz
Apr 4, 2010, 12:24 PM
This looks great!!

2 Questions

1) How big approx is one magazine file size wise?
2) How are the mags stored file wise or are they built into the app??

I think the magazine I had last night was around 10 MB... I uninstalled the app because I dont think I will be subscribing to any magazine at the moment.

The magazine is store on the app itself... imagine downloadable songs on Tap Tap games... similar concept

AJsAWiz
Apr 4, 2010, 12:26 PM
Download the app. There are samples you can try out.

I downloaded it already but didn't notice the samples. Looking for samples now . . . . ah, found them under "free". Okay, I'm stuck when you select "read online" flash is required. The option to download and read offline is grayed out. I've signed in . . . don't know what else to do . . . oh well :o

Okay never mind I got it. Noticed that Zinio is an iPhone app. Not sure I like how these look on the iPad screens (1X or 2X). I think I'll wait on an iPad specific version.
Thanks anyway.

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 4, 2010, 12:31 PM

I subscribe to several digital mags through zinio and they look really good on the iPad. If you want, you can download the app and look at a sample of the mags you're interested in and buy it when you're ready. Also some of the Interactive magazine articles link to pictures and videos.

BTW, the iPad version is in the app store.

illutionz
Apr 4, 2010, 12:33 PM
I downloaded it already but didn't notice the samples. Looking for samples now . . . . ah, found them under "free". Okay, I'm stuck when you select "read online" flash is required. The option to download and read offline is grayed out. I've signed in . . . don't know what else to do . . . oh well :o

Okay never mind I got it. Noticed that Zinio is an iPhone app. Not sure I like how these look on the iPad screens (1X or 2X). I think I'll wait on an iPad specific version.
Thanks anyway.

It's a universal app.... do not get "Zinio Magazine & Book Reader"... get "Zinio Magazine Newsstand & Reader" with the Black icon instead of blue icon

applesupergeek
Apr 4, 2010, 12:42 PM
Looks nice, and thanks for the heads up, but with all the free content on the net, a good rss aggregator with nice visuals will be a better option.

Still this is a good effort, but it should let you import your own pdf magazines, if it doesn't do that, forget about it, I might as well, get the magazine app itself...what's the point of a subscription/aggregator if you cant import content you already own

It's like a f.ing itunes that will only force you to buy music, but won't let you index the music/mags in this case you already have....

AJsAWiz
Apr 4, 2010, 12:58 PM
It's a universal app.... do not get "Zinio Magazine & Book Reader"... get "Zinio Magazine Newsstand & Reader" with the Black icon instead of blue icon

You're right :) I found it, after digging, just before I saw this post.
Thanks ;)

AJsAWiz
Apr 4, 2010, 01:00 PM
I subscribe to several digital mags through zinio and they look really good on the iPad. If you want, you can download the app and look at a sample of the mags you're interested in and buy it when you're ready. Also some of the Interactive magazine articles link to pictures and videos.

BTW, the iPad version is in the app store.

Yep, just found it. Thanks :D

jsbaugh
Apr 4, 2010, 01:11 PM
Wow I'm loving this app. The magazines look great on the iPad.

demiurgical
Apr 4, 2010, 03:05 PM
is there a support group for ppl addicted to subscribing to digital magazines on the iPad? ><;... the experience of it on the iPad is just amazing! and no more piles of dead trees!! if you search on Zinio's website they have many more choices <3

sonictonic
Apr 4, 2010, 04:03 PM
WOW I just got this and it's awesome!

Question/concern though...
I was able to download Car & Driver, and MacWorld, the complete issues, FREE (or that's what it looked like). After registering on the iPad for an account, I put in my name & email address, and then went into the Read section where I clicked those two magazines, and it downloaded every page of both issues. Are these seriously free?

I hope I wasn't charged because if so I wasn't warned. And if they were free, wow... what an opposite way of doing things compared to the Time App for $5 per issue lol.

spectre51
Apr 4, 2010, 04:11 PM

I was able to download Car & Driver, and MacWorld, the complete issues, FREE (or that's what it looked like). After registering on the iPad for an account, I put in my name & email address, and then went into the Read section where I clicked those two magazines, and it downloaded every page of both issues. Are these seriously free?

I hope I wasn't charged because if so I wasn't warned. And if they were free, wow... what an opposite way of doing things compared to the Time App for $5 per issue lol.
Those are free sample magazines.

kultschar
Apr 4, 2010, 04:54 PM
So can you sync the individual issues to your mac in iTunes so you always have them backed up on computer??

kultschar
Apr 4, 2010, 04:58 PM

Does that mean you can buy the adult mags online and they will appear on the app to read :)

spectre51
Apr 4, 2010, 04:58 PM
So can you sync the individual issues to your mac in iTunes so you always have them backed up on computer??

If you want you can use the desktop app to download the individual magazine issue. But with zinio you can always just redownload it.

lily69
Apr 4, 2010, 07:11 PM
I have Zinio PC version for quite some time. Today I installed iPad version. All my old magazines are not show up in iPad, only 6 free ones.

Also, ipad resolution isn't good enough for magazines, I wish it's 1280x1024...

jsbaugh
Apr 4, 2010, 07:12 PM
I have Zinio PC version for quite some time. Today I installed iPad version. All my old magazines are not show up in iPad, only 6 free ones.

Also, ipad resolution isn't good enough for magazines, I wish it's 1280x1024...

Not good enough? Looks pretty damn good to me.

lily69
Apr 4, 2010, 07:18 PM
text is blur and pixelated, check Macworld. double click to enlarge is still the same.

Not good enough? Looks pretty damn good to me.

wolfpackfan
Apr 4, 2010, 07:19 PM
text is blur and pixelated, check Macworld. double click to enlarge is still the same.

You sure you're using the iPad version?

illutionz
Apr 4, 2010, 07:24 PM
Did you download the Universal App with the Black Icon or the iPhone only app with blue icon?

spectre51
Apr 4, 2010, 07:26 PM

Not when I viewed it. Everything was crystal clear for me.

lily69
Apr 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
Well, interesting. I did installed black icon one, I double checked, it's for ipad named "Zinio Magazine Newsstand &..."

Shall I reinstall?

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 4, 2010, 07:35 PM

there's a text button you can press toward the bottom middle of the screen and it will just pull up all the text for you to read. Maybe that will help you. The text is clear on mine, even when I zoom in.

Zinio did a nice job on the app. Glad I can get magazines at the regular subscription price. :)

spectre51
Apr 4, 2010, 07:36 PM
Well, interesting. I did installed black icon one, I double checked, it's for ipad named "Zinio Magazine Newsstand &..."

Shall I reinstall?

Trying re downloading the magazine first and make sure it is completely downloaded.

lily69
Apr 4, 2010, 07:39 PM
Text mode is much better, yes.
The magazines are completely downloaded, I saw the progress bar goes to 100%.
Zinio on PC is indeed great, enlarge works flawlessly, on ipad, it's more like over compressed jpgs.

illutionz
Apr 4, 2010, 07:49 PM
Text mode is much better, yes.
The magazines are completely downloaded, I saw the progress bar goes to 100%.
Zinio on PC is indeed great, enlarge works flawlessly, on ipad, it's more like over compressed jpgs.

Also, what I noticed is that the page does indeed has "loading" time after you flip to it... mine is around 3 seconds+

Maximillian
Apr 4, 2010, 08:38 PM
Won't start up at all for me. Hit the icon and it just sits on a black screen.

It's the iPad version, not the iPhone version. I tried deleting it and re-downloading it.

32GB iPad here.

Any ideas?

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 4, 2010, 08:55 PM

It's the iPad version, not the iPhone version. I tried deleting it and re-downloading it.

32GB iPad here.

Any ideas?

You can try calling Zinio Customer Service or using the support link from the Zinio app page.

jeremyblevins
Apr 4, 2010, 10:44 PM

32GB iPad here.

Any ideas?

Mine did that at first too. Simply restart your iPad completely.

Sent from my iPad

Brammy
Apr 4, 2010, 11:22 PM
Ok, how do I get rid of the free mags from cluttering up my screens?

spectre51
Apr 4, 2010, 11:29 PM
Ok, how do I get rid of the free mags from cluttering up my screens?

I've tried to figure that out as well. Don't think we can at the moment. Gonna email zinio and tell them that has to be fixed. I only want my magazines listed in there not the samples. Should have the option to remove a magazine completely from the library on there.

ks-man
Apr 4, 2010, 11:59 PM
I recently renewed two subscriptions that Zinio offers. I think each were two year subscriptions. Any hopes in having my print subscription switched to a digital one? I realize I'll have to call the magazines themselves but was wondering if anybody has tried this before.

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 5, 2010, 12:07 AM
I recently renewed two subscriptions that Zinio offers. I think each were two year subscriptions. Any hopes in having my print subscription switched to a digital one? I realize I'll have to call the magazines themselves but was wondering if anybody has tried this before.

contact zinio customer service and see if they can help. :D

ks-man
Apr 5, 2010, 12:09 AM
contact zinio customer service and see if they can help. :D

Is the grin b/c you are being sarcastic and that they have poor customer service?

sonictonic
Apr 5, 2010, 12:23 AM
I've tried to figure that out as well. Don't think we can at the moment. Gonna email zinio and tell them that has to be fixed. I only want my magazines listed in there not the samples. Should have the option to remove a magazine completely from the library on there.

Email them and request it! I did too and hoping if they get enough requests for this very basic function, that they'll update soon. *crosses fingers*

Nice app though. :cool:

ClaireL
Apr 5, 2010, 12:35 AM
Wow! Zinio is awesome on the iPad. Pages display very crisp and beautifully. Spin even has an interactive feature where you can see videos of various performers. It truly is like reading a magazine but a heavier magazine lol :p

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 5, 2010, 01:39 AM
Is the grin b/c you are being sarcastic and that they have poor customer service?

No, in fact Zinio's Customer Service was courteous and helpful when I had to call them.

I can see how you would take my statement as sarcasm, thanks for asking. :)

rhett7660
Apr 5, 2010, 01:54 AM

Yes, I actually contacted two magazines, Photoshop User and Layers Magazine. They offer them both digitally and both via Zinio. I requested they move them to digital download and the responded back with will do. Bam, the next issue showed up via Zinio.

Granted I don't have an iPad yet but ohhhh how I want one just for this!

sushi
Apr 5, 2010, 05:59 AM
You sure can... :)
Cool. Thanks! :)

Wow! Zinio is awesome on the iPad. Pages display very crisp and beautifully.
Good to hear.

pagansoul
Apr 5, 2010, 06:55 AM
I've been getting Macworld via Zinio for over 7 years. This year they came out with National Geographic and NGeo Traveler. Love them all. Even though you have a bookself on the site I have all the magazines loaded on to my MacPro. They are set up with DRM attached to your email account and password and you have to use their viewer to see them. As far as I know no one has tried to break the DRM at this time. Maybe now that more people are using Zinio it will happen.

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 5, 2010, 01:46 PM
Once you've downloaded the magazine, just click and hold for approximately 3 seconds and an X will show in the upper right hand corner of each magazine you've downloaded. Click the X on the mags you want deleted and click on done button in the upper right hand of the screen when done.

I spoke without a great guy from Zinio's customer service and he said they are constantly converting and adding magazines to the app. Thousands of magazines and it's just going to take time to get them converted for the iPad.

I asked him about Playboy. He said they are trying to get an agreement done so they can add Playboy to the app subscriptions, but for right now, it's a no go.

One more thing, I told him about this thread and he may join us to answer questions and concerns about Zinio.

:apple:

Brammy
Apr 5, 2010, 01:52 PM
I asked him about Playboy. He said they are trying to get an agreement done so they can add Playboy to the app subscriptions, but for right now, it's a no go.

One more thing, I told him about this thread and he may join us to answer questions and concerns about Zinio.

:apple:

Agreement with whom? Apple or Playboy?

Smackfu
Apr 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
Once you've downloaded the magazine, just click and hold for approximately 3 seconds and an X will show in the upper right hand corner of each magazine you've downloaded.

It seems like that only deletes the downloaded pages, not the "placeholder" cover for the magazine. So it's really just to free up space, and doesn't help to get rid of "junk" placeholders, like the free Sporting News issue.

I'm also not thrilled with the low-res to high-res fill-in they are doing, since the low-res version is really useless except to see which pages are ads that you can skip over.

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
Agreement with whom? Apple or Playboy?

I think he said Apple because Playboy is already offered as a digital download on the PC version of Zinio.

AJsAWiz
Apr 5, 2010, 02:12 PM
No, in fact Zinio's Customer Service was courteous and helpful when I had to call them.

I can see how you would take my statement as sarcasm, thanks for asking. :)

Didn't see a number for Zinio so I emailed their customer support a couple of days ago and haven't gotten a response yet. What's their phone number?

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 5, 2010, 02:47 PM
Didn't see a number for Zinio so I emailed their customer support a couple of days ago and haven't gotten a response yet. What's their phone number?

Zinio
US Phone Support available Monday-Friday, 7am-6pm PST
1-888-946-4666

:)

poblack
Apr 5, 2010, 03:48 PM
So if I'm reading this right, the Ipad app does not have all of the magazines offered in the PC version?

wolfpackfan
Apr 5, 2010, 04:21 PM
So if I'm reading this right, the Ipad app does not have all of the magazines offered in the PC version?

Correct.

Julien
Apr 5, 2010, 04:24 PM

As you click on each magazine in the Zinio web page it shows what formats each is available in. My question is Zinio converting all mags to all formats very soon and if so are they also going into back issues?

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 6, 2010, 01:01 AM

That's right because they're still converting them and some of them don't have approval for the app yet, like Playboy.

MacRy
Apr 6, 2010, 02:37 PM
Can anyone tell me if it has Motorcycle Sport and Leisure available on the iPad version please?

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
Can anyone tell me if it has Motorcycle Sport and Leisure available on the iPad version please?

The April & May issues are available, but nothing previous to those dates.

MacRy
Apr 6, 2010, 02:56 PM

Awesome :)

Thanks for that LHB. I've read all of the others anyway so i'm only interested in future issues. That's great to hear. You'e made me a very happy camper.

Julien
Apr 6, 2010, 03:00 PM
That's right because they're still converting them and some of them don't have approval for the app yet, like Playboy.
LadyHoneyBabe,
You seem to be well versed on Ziaino so a couple of questions. Do you have any idea about what time frame to get most (say <95%) of the mags in iPad format (and iPhone too)? Is it a fast track or an on again off again process? Also if you download to your Mac (which I do) are they saved as PDF's, where are they saved and what are they named (did a Spotlight search and didn't find by name)?

spectre51
Apr 6, 2010, 03:18 PM
The files are saved in the zinio reader for at usually in a specific zinio magazines folder in your documents folder on the Mac. Couldn't tell you where on the pc. If you ever delete a magazine you can login to the website and click a link to redownload the issue.

That's using the version 3 of their app. The new adobe air app handles things differently I believe. Haven't messed with it much since I got the iPad since I have been using that instead.

Julien
Apr 6, 2010, 03:44 PM
The files are saved in the zinio reader for at usually in a specific zinio magazines folder in your documents folder on the Mac....

They aren't under the Documents folder.

AJsAWiz
Apr 6, 2010, 03:50 PM
Zinio
US Phone Support available Monday-Friday, 7am-6pm PST
1-888-946-4666

:)

ClaireL
Apr 6, 2010, 03:59 PM
Here a few screens from iPad to give a good idea how good Zinio looks on the large screen.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad103/CandyNJ66/4aa6644f.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad103/CandyNJ66/593150df.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad103/CandyNJ66/bae449c4.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad103/CandyNJ66/f877f9e6.jpg

DarkVictory
Apr 6, 2010, 09:41 PM
If you buy an adult mag via their website on a computer, can it still be synched to the iPad?

Pheelyx
Apr 6, 2010, 09:48 PM
Gotta say I'm in love with Zinio on iPad. Already bought two subscriptions and converted the one I had to digital. I just hope they listen to all the criticism and make Zinio reader preload the whole magazine like iBooks does with books. When you flip the page and see the blurry version at first, it make my eyes hurt.

Silvereel
Apr 6, 2010, 09:50 PM
I want to spend a bit too much money on Zinio, not to mention my iPad in general. It's pretty good, the only complaint I have is that it loads rather slowly, the invidivual mags, that is. I tried another magazine app called Pixelmags, and it was an absolute nightmare with bad resolution and constant crashes.

ks-man
Apr 6, 2010, 10:06 PM
Gotta say I'm in love with Zinio on iPad. Already bought two subscriptions and converted the one I had to digital. I just hope they listen to all the criticism and make Zinio reader preload the whole magazine like iBooks does with books. When you flip the page and see the blurry version at first, it make my eyes hurt.

Agreed on the pre-loading. If they get that fixed it would make this app just about perfect.

I did check with the two magazines I have and both said I need to cancel my print subscription and then resign up for the digital version. They couldn't just switch me over.

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 6, 2010, 10:18 PM
LadyHoneyBabe,
You seem to be well versed on Zinio so a couple of questions. Do you have any idea about what time frame to get most (say <95%) of the mags in iPad format (and iPhone too)? Is it a fast track or an on again off again process? Also if you download to your Mac (which I do) are they saved as PDF's, where are they saved and what are they named (did a Spotlight search and didn't find by name)?

Converting the magazines are a priority for them and they are constantly working to get all their magazines converted. Magazines are converted based on popularity (amount of subscriptions), and they will continue until all 3,000+ are in the Zinio Store; except for the magazines that are under negotiation, like Playboy.

So, a short answer is yes, Zinio is on a fast track to get the magazines converted and right now, they're swamped. They don't have a completion date, but they are adding magazines everyday. They realize this is a huge opportunity and the iPad is bringing a resurgence to the magazine industry.

Even my short answer was long. :p

2. I don't know the format they use and I don't know where they are saved. I do know that Zinio on the desktop allows you to send someone a free magazine issue.

Hope this helps...:D

Awesome

Thanks for that LHB. I've read all of the others anyway so i'm only interested in future issues. That's great to hear. You'e made me a very happy camper.

You're welcome; I'm happy to help. :)

sushi
Apr 6, 2010, 10:21 PM
Here a few screens from iPad to give a good idea how good Zinio looks on the large screen.
Wow. Thanks!

It looks good on the laptop and decent on the iPod touch.

Looks great on the iPad! :)

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 6, 2010, 10:36 PM
If you buy an adult mag via their website on a computer, can it still be synched to the iPad?

The only magazines I've seen that are closest to adult are the non-American Maxium ones. The covers look more risqué. So, bottom line - no, not yet. Zinio is negotiating to get Playboy added, but they're running into A LOT of red tape.

Smackfu
Apr 6, 2010, 10:48 PM
Btw, it turns out there is no easy way to really delete a magazine from the page that shows all the covers, like the demo magazines.

But if you email support, they will do it for you, so that's something. I guess they figure no one would ever want to delete one of their subs from the list but those demo ones weren't for me.

Jaro65
Apr 7, 2010, 12:37 AM
Zinio iPad might be great. Zinio iPhone sucked. Too clunky (could be my 3G, not 3Gs) and was hard to read content. Zinio for Mac sucked too. Couldn't get my Macworld subscription to sync...EVER. Could never download and customer service was crap.

My experience with Zinio on my MBP is pretty much opposite with yours. Plus, a couple of times I called them, they were quite helpful. I love the fact that I have the latest issues of the magazines with me when traveling. Plus, no more dead trees. :)

ks-man
Apr 7, 2010, 12:39 AM
Btw, it turns out there is no easy way to really delete a magazine from the page that shows all the covers, like the demo magazines.

But if you email support, they will do it for you, so that's something. I guess they figure no one would ever want to delete one of their subs from the list but those demo ones weren't for me.

I'm sure if they get enough e-mails with the request they will build the function into the next update.

2jzgze
Apr 7, 2010, 03:47 AM
Any thoughts on if they will try and implement a workaround regarding the pixelated lag before the page comes into focus? The lag is driving me nuts! :)

Julien
Apr 7, 2010, 05:59 AM
Any thoughts on if they will try and implement a workaround regarding the pixelated lag before the page comes into focus? The lag is driving me nuts! :)

I believe this is a PDF (aka Adobe) problem.:eek:

aduteau
Apr 7, 2010, 10:43 AM
Quick question about the Zinio app for the iPad ...
Can you purchase, subscribe and download magazines strait from the app ?
Or do I have to do all of this from my iMac (or PC) and then sync them to the iPad ???

I want to be able to download the magazines to my iPad and read them offline ... without having the hassle of booting up my iMac and do a sync.

The for the answers ! :)

Brammy
Apr 7, 2010, 10:47 AM
Quick question about the Zinio app for the iPad ...
Can you purchase, subscribe and download magazines strait from the app ?
Or do I have to do all of this from my iMac (or PC) and then sync them to the iPad ???

I want to be able to download the magazines to my iPad and read them offline ... without having the hassle of booting up my iMac and do a sync.

The for the answers ! :)

Yes.

aduteau
Apr 7, 2010, 10:53 AM
Yes.

Holly cow ... if I can subscribe and download to my iPad strait from the app ... I am SOLD !!! :)

heathpitts
Apr 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
how many magazines have you found that have more information in their magazines than on their website for free. I bought Popular Mechanics yesterday but it seems that all the same information is on their website for free.

I guess that I want to hear everyone's experience on this to see if the magazines would be worth the price. I normally don't buy many magazines but I was thinking of doing that with the iPad.

talkingnewmedia
Apr 7, 2010, 12:09 PM
how many magazines have you found that have more information in their magazines than on their website for free. I bought Popular Mechanics yesterday but it seems that all the same information is on their website for free.

I guess that I want to hear everyone's experience on this to see if the magazines would be worth the price. I normally don't buy many magazines but I was thinking of doing that with the iPad.

One of the magazines they have is VIVmag, which is a Zinio-only magazine -- that is, no print edition. (A look at it here (http://talkingnewmedia.blogspot.com/2010/04/zinios-ipad-app-easiest-way-to-access.html).)

Most publishers use a company like Zinio as an extension of the newsstand. While I like what they do, if you want to see added features and more multimedia you'll probably see this in separate apps. It will be interesting to see what Wired does.

Smackfu
Apr 7, 2010, 12:36 PM
Holly cow ... if I can subscribe and download to my iPad strait from the app ... I am SOLD !!! :)

Although when you get to the purchase screen, and have to fill out your credit card number, name, address, etc. you might want to hop over to the real keyboard. That's what I did.

jviphone
Apr 8, 2010, 09:17 AM
Also incase you guys were wondering, you can take a picture of any page in zinio or anything that matter, with the home/sleep button key and use them as wallpaper.. I can think of a few magazines where this is going to be a useful feature :)

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 8, 2010, 05:57 PM
One of the magazines they have is VIVmag, which is a Zinio-only magazine -- that is, no print edition. (A look at it here (http://talkingnewmedia.blogspot.com/2010/04/zinios-ipad-app-easiest-way-to-access.html).)

Most publishers use a company like Zinio as an extension of the newsstand. While I like what they do, if you want to see added features and more multimedia you'll probably see this in separate apps. It will be interesting to see what Wired does.

I'm waiting for Wired Magazine too. :)

wingnut8
Apr 8, 2010, 06:02 PM
I'm considering getting ESPN the magazine. 14.97 for 26 issues is a great price.

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 8, 2010, 06:12 PM
I'm considering getting ESPN the magazine. 14.97 for 26 issues is a great price.

That sounds good. I think digital magazines on the ipad is a brilliant idea. That way I can read them whenever I choose without carrying anything extra (ipad plus a magazine).

wingnut8
Apr 8, 2010, 06:43 PM
That sounds good. I think digital magazines on the ipad is a brilliant idea. That way I can read them whenever I choose without carrying anything extra (ipad plus a magazine).
Especially considering how big and bulky ESPN the magazine is.

cmhsam
Apr 8, 2010, 06:59 PM
Is there a list of magazines that will be available?

GoCubsGo
Apr 20, 2010, 11:05 PM
I'd love to check this out but I tried to create an account from my iPad and the app just freezes. :(

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 20, 2010, 11:07 PM
I'd love to check this out but I tried to create an account from my iPad and the app just freezes. :(

Call customer support, they've been extremely helpful.

GoCubsGo
Apr 20, 2010, 11:14 PM
tomorrow. It's 12:15 am, I'm not that upset. :)

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 21, 2010, 03:16 AM
tomorrow. It's 12:15 am, I'm not that upset. :)

LOL! I didn't mean right now. :p

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 08:22 AM
I keep loading this app and thinking I might actually purchase some magazines (that food/cooking magazine is calling my name), but the loading/rendering time is so slow. And it seems like it re-renders each page multiple times (like if you try to flip back it renders it again). I'm hoping to see some optimization in it, but I would definitely be a potential digital magazine buyer if they do.

GoCubsGo
Apr 21, 2010, 08:26 AM
^ Good point there. I noticed that as well. I'd like it to sort of hold a bit of cache, but perhaps that's the only way they can do it as the memory on the iPad is less than ... well we'll just say it's less than.

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 08:32 AM
It seems like the stand-alone magazine apps don't have the same problem (I haven't bought any but I flipped through a friend's Popular Science issue and don't recall having the same annoyance level). So, I suppose I'm still holding out hope Zinio will see some improvements.

ipoddin
Apr 21, 2010, 09:32 AM
I keep loading this app and thinking I might actually purchase some magazines (that food/cooking magazine is calling my name), but the loading/rendering time is so slow. And it seems like it re-renders each page multiple times (like if you try to flip back it renders it again). I'm hoping to see some optimization in it, but I would definitely be a potential digital magazine buyer if they do.

Browsing their website is a much easier way to see everything. And when you create an account all is sync'd on web, iPad and iPhone.

ipoddin
Apr 21, 2010, 09:33 AM

That's how it works.

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 09:46 AM
Browsing their website is a much easier way to see everything. And when you create an account all is sync'd on web, iPad and iPhone.

Sorry, I'm confused--does this fix the slow loading/rendering times? Does that only happen with the free sample mags or something?

GoCubsGo
Apr 21, 2010, 09:49 AM
^ I too would like to know. How do you "sync" is it like the Kindle store and Kindle for iPad app?

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 10:12 AM
Well, dang it.

http://theappleblog.com/2010/04/21/zinio-ipad-magazines-disappointing-future/

For starters, each page takes around a second to load. Take a moment and imagine that…imagine reading a magazine and waiting an entire second every time you decide to turn a page. Need to quickly flick back and take a glance at that article from a few pages ago? Prepare to wait.

I read fast, this kind of thing makes me crazy.

Maybe I'll just buy a 'real' subscription to Saveur, heh.

rickeames
Apr 21, 2010, 11:50 AM
As a longtime Zinio user, here are my top complaints about the app so far:

Not all of my magazines are there. This blows because it means I still am having to use the PC for the rest of the subscriptions. There is also no news on when they WILL be available.

Damn, is it ever slow. What in the heck is it DOING to render things so slowly? The pause when you change pages, get the blurry render, then the crisp one is actually quite maddening.

Hopefully these two things can be addressed soon.

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 12:11 PM
Damn, is it ever slow. What in the heck is it DOING to render things so slowly? The pause when you change pages, get the blurry render, then the crisp one is actually quite maddening..

So it's not just the sample magazines that do this?

This is doubly confusing because, as far as I know, they are just scans of the magazine and for the most part don't have any extra embedded bells and whistles. (Well, I know some of them do, like Viv, but the one I really wanted, "Saveur", doesn't seem to have so much as a Text button.) So what *is* the rendering holdup?

Well, the iPad has sort of inadvertently brought a customer back to the publishing industry--I signed up for a paper subscription to Saveur today. The sample issues in Zinio got me hooked, but ultimately I decided it's something I'd like to have a 'real' stack of to thumb through on the coffee table.

Spankey
Apr 21, 2010, 12:45 PM
Any Spin subscribers get the magazine to show up in their library. Only one of my subs I don't see but is iPad compatible on the Zinio site.

Nevermind...they just showed up.

noah82
Apr 21, 2010, 12:47 PM
This has been extremely buggy for me...it's always crashing!

ipoddin
Apr 21, 2010, 01:15 PM
So it's not just the sample magazines that do this?

This is doubly confusing because, as far as I know, they are just scans of the magazine and for the most part don't have any extra embedded bells and whistles. (Well, I know some of them do, like Viv, but the one I really wanted, "Saveur", doesn't seem to have so much as a Text button.) So what *is* the rendering holdup?

The issues do include hyperlinks or email links through the entire issue. Some issues include extra content like videos, image galleries, and contain an option to read the text only version of the current page your looking at.

ipoddin
Apr 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
^ I too would like to know. How do you "sync" is it like the Kindle store and Kindle for iPad app?

Yes, it's like the Kindle app. If you subscribe to something from the website, it's automatically available online, in your ipad, or on your iphone. Same thing if you do it through the app itself.

The second to render pages happens even after you download the entire magazine to your ipad. I don't know why this happens, but it doesn't bother me. I like having all issues of a magazine I subscribe to, available at any moment I want to go back and read it again whether I'm online, using my iphone, or ipad.

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 26, 2010, 09:00 PM
An update was released today to allow iPod to play in background and the pages almost immediately load. No more waiting for the page to focus. :D

ScottFitz
Apr 26, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hmm... several of the guitar mags I'm interested are 10 bucks a pop. Wow. Hope that comes down in price some.

misaelt
Apr 28, 2010, 01:30 PM
I also hated the placeholder covers for magazines I wasn't entered. It's like going to the newsstand and buying your magazine, with other magazine's covers glued to it.

Anyway. I emailed support and they asked for the titles of the magazines I wanted to be removed and they did it in less than 30 minutes.

The next time I opened the iPad Zinio app, the covers weren't there.

I hope they add the option to delete them directly by the user in future upgrades.

LadyHoneyBabe
Apr 28, 2010, 02:39 PM
I also hated the placeholder covers for magazines I wasn't entered. It's like going to the newsstand and buying your magazine, with other magazine's covers glued to it.

Anyway. I emailed support and they asked for the titles of the magazines I wanted to be removed and they did it in less than 30 minutes.

The next time I opened the iPad Zinio app, the covers weren't there.

I hope they add the option to delete them directly by the user in future upgrades.

Good to know. I've got some that need removing too.

timdafweak
Apr 28, 2010, 03:10 PM
Apologies if this has already been covered in the thread, but I have a running subscription with Zinio for USTA magazine, and in the app on my iPad, I can only see issues from this year. Nothing from the past years. Anyone know if there is something I need to toggle, etc.

ChocolateApple
Apr 28, 2010, 04:12 PM

I used to, but the magazines I find worthy of subscribing to no longer release electric versions. Too bad. I'll likely try a freebie sneak peek just to see how Zinio works on an iPad. That's one app that has always been meant for such a device.

MikhailT
May 11, 2010, 08:17 PM
They just released an update that improves the readability under zoom and performance update.

I like this update, the text is now much sharper under zoom.

rickeames
May 11, 2010, 08:32 PM
Now if they could just get the rest of my magazines onto the iPad so I don't have to go back and forth to the computer.

timdafweak
May 11, 2010, 08:39 PM
wow page flipping is seriously fast now! I am impressed.

Jaro65
May 11, 2010, 09:10 PM
Yes, the update did make the application quite a bit better!

Spankey
May 11, 2010, 09:39 PM
Yes, the update did make the application quite a bit better!

The magazines have been updated as well. Seems like they have been rescanned/re-rendered. Be sure to download them all again. A great update.

vertigo235
May 11, 2010, 10:00 PM
Great update. The text is now actual text instead of a scanned image, very crisp if you zoom in.

Julien
May 12, 2010, 08:25 AM
Great update. The text is now actual text instead of a scanned image, very crisp if you zoom in.

I'm sure it's still PDF based, just higher resolution.

Macdicted
May 12, 2010, 09:25 AM
Nice app. but seriously why cant you remove issues you dont want ? :rolleyes:

How hard can that possibly be , they couldnt include that in their update....

Seems lame to me.

I dont want to see magazine covers in my library that I didnt choose...

DougFNJ
May 12, 2010, 09:30 AM

Seems lame to me.

I dont want to see magazine covers in my library that I didnt chose...

I couldn't agree more, please take Ed Begley Jr. off my iPad ;)

virduk
May 15, 2010, 08:22 PM
The only magazines I've seen that are closest to adult are the non-American Maxium ones. The covers look more risqué. So, bottom line - no, not yet. Zinio is negotiating to get Playboy added, but they're running into A LOT of red tape.

That is really annoying that they even have to deal with censors. I guess there is always a android version.

Jaro65
May 15, 2010, 09:28 PM

Seems lame to me.

I dont want to see magazine covers in my library that I didnt choose...

Go to zinio.com and email the support, telling them which issues to remove. They did it for me after I emailed them. They are currently reviewing their iPad (non) removal process. :)

Macdicted
May 15, 2010, 11:05 PM
Go to zinio.com and email the support, telling them which issues to remove. They did it for me after I emailed them. They are currently reviewing their iPad (non) removal process. :)

I'll do that , thanks.

I'm glad to hear they are working on the self removal process too.

I look forward to using their service :cool:

double329
May 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
I too, enjoy the app. All my subscriptions now through Zinio. I don't get the print any more. I also downloaded the app for the laptop and I can enjoy my mags there as well. Yes, they need to do more interactive in the magazine. But, I think this is work in progress. I am sure this is a way in the future. All in all, I can read my magazines... the latest update really help when zoom in :D

Jaro65
May 16, 2010, 12:59 PM
I too, enjoy the app. All my subscriptions now through Zinio. I don't get the print any more. I also downloaded the app for the laptop and I can enjoy my mags there as well. Yes, they need to do more interactive in the magazine. But, I think this is work in progress. I am sure this is a way in the future. All in all, I can read my magazines... the latest update really help when zoom in :D

I've been doing quite a bit of international traveling over the last 3 years, and it has always been so enjoyable to have access to my latest magazines, regardless where I'm at. Also, getting magazines through Zinio helps us save a few trees! It's all good.

Consultant
May 16, 2010, 01:18 PM
wow page flipping is seriously fast now! I am impressed.

It's faster than previous version, but it's still slow and annoying. Writing a long review to lambast this app.

MacRy
May 16, 2010, 02:08 PM
It's faster than previous version, but it's still slow and annoying. Writing a long review to lambast this app.

Seriously? What's going on in your life that means you can't afford the couple of seconds wait for a page to focus? It's no slower than turning a page in a physical magazine now. I think the latest update has made it a great app in terms of usability.

vertigo235
May 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm sure it's still PDF based, just higher resolution.

PDFs support text. That's why some are searchable.

The ones before were just images even the txt.

Julien
May 16, 2010, 04:33 PM
PDFs support text. That's why some are searchable.

The ones before were just images even the txt.

The "ones" now are just images, even the "text". PDF were updated to incorporate meta data. Text can be added as meta data (and not what you see) for searching. When you search you search the meta data attached to the PDF "image". It may or may not be present and it may not (like OCR PDF's) exactly match the PDF image of the "text".

turboxt
May 17, 2010, 01:17 PM
Sorry if I missed on this thread or others but I cannot find a way to completely delete a magazine on my IPAD with the latest Zinio App...

Any assistance? I am not looking to hide a mag...truly to delete it!:confused:

Jaro65
May 17, 2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry if I missed on this thread or others but I cannot find a way to completely delete a magazine on my IPAD with the latest Zinio App...

Not sure how well you searched, but it was reported elsewhere that you just need to email the customer support team on zinio.com. They'll delete from your iPad whatever you'd like.

Sdevante
May 17, 2010, 01:55 PM

As of now, you have to e-mail customer service and request it. Supposedly they are looking at ways to let users delete on their own in the future.

Fireproof!
May 17, 2010, 01:55 PM

For now - you must email customer service to do it. I just had to take care of the same thing and here's the email I got back:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Zinio Customer Support.

Based on customer feedback, we hope to have a feature in the near future that would allow customers to permanently remove items from their library. In the meantime, you can simply request that customer support remove any issues you don't want to see anymore.

The issues that you requested be removed have been removed.

Thank you,
Ron
Zinio Customer Support
888.946.4666, M-F 7am-6pm Pacific

XavierMike
Jun 30, 2010, 12:41 PM
I have a quick question. I looked through the zinio site, but I couldn't find a simple answer. If I buy an issue on my PC can I sink it to my IPad and read it on the go as well?

Linchpin
Jun 30, 2010, 12:48 PM
I have a quick question. I looked through the zinio site, but I couldn't find a simple answer. If I buy an issue on my PC can I sink it to my IPad and read it on the go as well?

Yes

XavierMike
Jun 30, 2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks!

Do you sink it through ITunes or Zinio?

Brammy
Jun 30, 2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks!

Do you sink it through ITunes or Zinio?

iTunes is not involved. It's an over-the-air transfer in the Zino app.

XavierMike
Jun 30, 2010, 02:08 PM
Sorry for the numerous questions. The Zinio store on the IPad has less titles available than the PC store. So, an issue only available on the PC store can be transferred to the IPad?

Brammy
Jun 30, 2010, 02:17 PM
yes, the PC selection is better -- you can thank Apple for not wanting magazines like Playboy on the iPad (although you should see some of the ebooks they allow, whoah).

On the magazine page, you can see all the formats available. If iPad is not on them, then, no, they can't be downloaded.

INeedAMacBook
Jun 30, 2010, 02:35 PM

don't get your ipad sticky though :D

pooryou
Jul 1, 2010, 03:25 AM
Sorry for the numerous questions. The Zinio store on the IPad has less titles available than the PC store. So, an issue only available on the PC store can be transferred to the IPad?

Not everything on the website is available in iPad format.