Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trjwv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
kentucky...Go Cats
I was told by an apple tech person that if I upgrade my memory myself, I would void my warranty. Is this true?

Also I want to take my memory from my MBP 15" 3.06 and put it in my iMac 27" i7, this would give me a total of 8GB in iMac
and purchase 8 GB for my MBP.

Will this work?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
From Apple;

Warning: You should have an Apple-authorized service provider install memory. Apple does not provide telephone support for memory upgrades. Consult the service and support information that came with your computer for instructions on how to contact an Apple-authorized service provider or Apple for service. If you install these items yourself, you risk damaging your equipment, and this damage is not covered by the limited warranty on your computer. See an Apple-authorized dealer or service provider for additional information about this or any other warranty question.

So the entire warranty isn't voided, but if you screw up and damage something you wont be able to get that damage fixed under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.