Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisjburgess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks to all the advice everyone gave on this board I jumped in and bought the runcore 128gb ssd. It feels quicker but I'm not sure if that is me wanting to see it. Are there any tests to prove it is quicker?

Also I am running bootcamp and Windows7 is definately much much quicker, bootup to web browsing. What should it be quicker doing? I get the spinning wheel quite a lot in the mac. Are there any settings I am missing?

Is there a best way to load the OS, etc? I recently used migration assistant from my old macbook to get my settings, apps across using the 4200rpm drive. Then when I received the ssd I used the cloning software, could this contribute to any slowness I'm experiencing/feeling?

Perhaps my expectations were too high and this is normal but given the noticeable difference between snow leopard and bootcamp windows 7 i am not sure.

Any advice is welcome...

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Did you install the OS X or did you clone it into the SSD? It's hard to benchmark it because so many things can affect it but one is to e.g. measure the time of boot or e.g. Photoshop launch.

Try OnyX as well, usually speeds up quite much

chrisjburgess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
I cloned it... might try a fresh rebuild... is there a special way to format the drive so that small data isn't left?

xpolarbearx

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
I cloned it... might try a fresh rebuild... is there a special way to format the drive so that small data isn't left?

I cloned it initially and it just wasn't as fast as I expected. Boot up using your OSX disc and restore a time machine backup, then reset the PRAM. This is what I did for my Intel SSD and it has been running fast with no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.