PDA

View Full Version : Windows HDD in Mac Pro

reebzor
Mar 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
So to eliminate some of the clutter around my desk, I decided it would be more efficient for me to just take the harddrive out of my PC and put it in my Mac Pro. I Would use a combination of dual booting and VMware fusion to access my windows stuff. So I put the drive in and it booted but then shortly after it blue screened. I was not able to use the keyboard or mouse to install the drivers from the disc.

Is there anything I can do to get this working? I'd like to not have to reformat.

balamw
Mar 24, 2010, 12:11 PM
Is there anything I can do to get this working? I'd like to not have to reformat.
Have you tried booting it in safe mode?

Basically you should try to genericize the drivers as much as possible (as safe mode does). You may have to stick it back in the PC. Somewhere I saw a guide that used VMWare Converter to facilitate this. Basically do a P2V conversion, but then stick that back on the drive.

No matter what you will have to re-activate due to the major hardware changes, probably easier to re-install or go virtual only.

B

reebzor
Mar 24, 2010, 01:58 PM
Have you tried booting it in safe mode?

Basically you should try to genericize the drivers as much as possible (as safe mode does). You may have to stick it back in the PC. Somewhere I saw a guide that used VMWare Converter to facilitate this. Basically do a P2V conversion, but then stick that back on the drive.

No matter what you will have to re-activate due to the major hardware changes, probably easier to re-install or go virtual only.

B

So I got it to boot and everything. I had to install all the drivers manually and that all works, but I still cannot install the bootcamp software. Not a big deal really as the bootcamp software doesnt really do anything, but I would like to have it.

balamw
Mar 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
So I got it to boot and everything. I had to install all the drivers manually and that all works, but I still cannot install the bootcamp software. Not a big deal really as the bootcamp software doesnt really do anything, but I would like to have it.

Bypass setup.exe and look for the MSI files on the OS X install CD. Select either BootCamp.msi or BootCamp64.msi and install the appropriate one for your architecture.

B