PDA

View Full Version : M4v Movie plays in itunes but not on the ipod touch

Bknichel
Mar 24, 2010, 11:54 AM
Hey guys,
I was able to copy the hangover with handbrake. Then cut and paste the M4v file into itunes and check the box to sync it. When I click sync it begins then a box appears and says the movie was not synced because this ipod cannot play this movie???? I have an ipod touch thats a couple years old but has the newest version of software. Its 16GB and has like 10GB free space. Any ideas???? the movie does play in itunes it just wont play on the ipod.

androiphone
Mar 24, 2010, 12:02 PM
if you right click on the movie you should see an option to 'convert to ipod version' or something similar, just might have to wait an age to convert

dXTC
Mar 24, 2010, 12:25 PM
Option 1: I would consider redoing the encode in Handbrake, using the "iPod Hi-Res" preset. This sets the bitrate high enough for a decent viewing experience on both the touch and your computer, but low enough to generate a file small enough to play correctly on iPods. Handbrake's "default" preset can generate a file just above the iPod filesize limit (2 Gb?) on some movies, rendering them useless.

Option 2: If you're using Handbrake strictly to get movies onto your iPod and won't play them on your computer, then I strongly recommend using the "iPod Lo-Res" preset for even greater filesize savings without visible loss of quality on the iPod touch's screen. Lo-Res resizes the video to fit 320 pixels horizontally, which renders perfectly fine on a touch's screen. The lower pixel count allows for usage of even lower bitrates, thus even smaller filesizes (~600 MB for a 90 minute feature movie).

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you plan to get an iPad in the near future, the "Lo-Res" preset will look a little pixellated on the iPad's screen. Option 1 is better in that case, and can serve the iPad and iPod touch well.

WG5516
Jun 6, 2010, 07:14 PM
:D Thanks, I had no clue it was a "create an iPhone" option.