PDA

View Full Version : New iBooks....WHEN?

BroncoBear
Sep 9, 2004, 05:05 PM
Anyone have any guess when the new iBooks will be out, and what may the updates be? Its been 6 months since the last update and they usually update them every 6 months. ANY IDEAS?

wrldwzrd89
Sep 9, 2004, 05:14 PM
Anyone have any guess when the new iBooks will be out, and what may the updates be? Its been 6 months since the last update and they usually update them every 6 months. ANY IDEAS?
I'd guess that the new iBooks will get G4 processors up to 1.33 GHz, better graphics cards (with 64 MB of VRAM), and a hard drive capacity increase (bye-bye 30 GB low end, hello 40 GB low end). They won't come out until the PowerBook gets updated. If the PowerBook goes G5 with the next update, expect more drastic changes to the iBook.

NusuniAdmin
Sep 9, 2004, 05:19 PM
I'd guess that the new iBooks will get G4 processors up to 1.33 GHz, better graphics cards (with 64 MB of VRAM), and a hard drive capacity increase (bye-bye 30 GB low end, hello 40 GB low end). They won't come out until the PowerBook gets updated. If the PowerBook goes G5 with the next update, expect more drastic changes to the iBook.

No offense to you but I AM SICK OF PEOPLE POSTING ABOUT THE DANG POWERBOOK G5....>APPLE EVEN SAID IT IS NOT COMING ANYTIME SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arghhhhhhhhhhhh why are mac diehards so darn headstrong??

An naoscaire
Sep 9, 2004, 05:47 PM
I'd get a 12" iBook if it came with a superdrive, even as an optional extra.

Here's hoping.

aswitcher
Sep 9, 2004, 06:07 PM

Well the PB bump is a ways off and they would canabalize sales if they improve the ibook to 1.5ghz, bigger HDD, 64/128 vram too soon.

Unless they plan to surprise us with mini ipod like metal skin or even those led active skin colouring or some such, I dont think they need to rush an upgrade.

wrldwzrd89
Sep 9, 2004, 06:28 PM
No offense to you but I AM SICK OF PEOPLE POSTING ABOUT THE DANG POWERBOOK G5....>APPLE EVEN SAID IT IS NOT COMING ANYTIME SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arghhhhhhhhhhhh why are mac diehards so darn headstrong??
FYI, everyone -
The only reason I mentioned the PowerBook G5 is because how soon it appears will affect what Apple does next with the iBooks...that is all.

AoWolf
Sep 9, 2004, 06:42 PM
Well I can tell you that the new iBooks will come out monday. I know this because I am going to buy a 1ghz Saturday. :p

NusuniAdmin
Sep 9, 2004, 07:33 PM
Well I can tell you that the new iBooks will come out monday. I know this because I am going to buy a 1ghz Saturday. :p

yes i know im sorry i spazed out but i am SICK OF PEOPLE MENTIONING IT.

James L
Sep 9, 2004, 08:05 PM

Wrong,

They were last updated on April 19th, 2004. That is less than 4.5 months by my calendar. If you check the buyers guide you will find that they are usually updated in October, or last year I think it was November.

NusuniAdmin
Sep 9, 2004, 08:23 PM
Wrong,

They were last updated on April 19th, 2004. That is less than 4.5 months by my calendar. If you check the buyers guide you will find that they are usually updated in October, or last year I think it was November.

i was going to comment on that as well. Forgot though.

Anyways this is 100% correct, it is definitly less than 6 months

ThomasJefferson
Sep 9, 2004, 08:28 PM
Late Oct/Early November updates seem on target for me.
G4 across the board.
Powerbook first, iBook 2-3 weeks later.

G5 will be summer of 05 at earliest.
Since I have a new 12" PB I have lost -all- interest in the G5 PB.
Just don't care.
Have my toy and thats the end of it.

chameeeleon
Sep 9, 2004, 08:43 PM
I read somewhere that Apple was working on a super-thin iBook that would have a high-end G4 procesor and be made of the same stuff as the iPod minis (in colours). I for one think these would def. be a hot seller among college/Uni students if Apple did them right. January MacWorld?

BornAgainMac
Sep 9, 2004, 09:07 PM
My guess would be at the next MacWorld in January. Probably a new design. The old design had been really successful. I would like to see a $300 dollar price drop across the iBook line. That would move inventory and increase switchers.

sethypoo
Sep 9, 2004, 09:10 PM
I really wish they would get rid of the plastic cases they are in, or at least improve the keyboards. They feel so chincy and bend far too easily.

Of course, if they start encasing them in aluminium, there would be little difference between the iBook and the PowerBook. :rolleyes:

solvs
Sep 9, 2004, 09:24 PM
I just wish they'd come with 64 MB VRAM. I'm not much into gaming, but 32 doesn't cut it for even low-end Core-Image, and I don't want the 12" P'Book. I like that the iBook is tough. P'Books feel so delicate, even if they aren't. I don't mind the extra weight and plastic casing. Especially with the extra battery life.

2 models:
12" iBook - 1.2+GHz G4, 40GB hard drive, 64 MB VRAM, 256 MB on-board.
14" iBook - 1.2+GHz, 40-60GB, 64MB VRAM, 256MB RAM, option for DVD-R.
$999 - $1299. What do you think?

And what happens to the P'Books? I have no idea.

dabirdwell
Sep 9, 2004, 09:25 PM
so I think they might keep the white look for the next iBook. I do think the next revision will be a major redesign, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Of course, the iBook could be made available in color-anodized Aluminum only and let the Power line keep the natural anodized finish.

shecky
Sep 14, 2004, 12:00 AM
the iBooks will be updated on November 16th, 2004 at 9 AM CST.

BroncoBear
Sep 14, 2004, 08:09 PM
the iBooks will be updated on November 16th, 2004 at 9 AM CST.
what will they be updated to?

MacSA
Sep 15, 2004, 04:42 AM
That really is bad news if the the difficulty in moving the Powerbooks over to faster processors (whatever they may eventually may be) is holding up development and improvements to the the ENTIRE laptop range. As previous posters have mentioned, perhaps they will have to improve them in other ways.

BroncoBear
Sep 23, 2004, 10:08 PM
What will the specs on these new iBooks???????????

homerjward
Sep 23, 2004, 10:24 PM
i think the next ibook should have a pc card slot in the 14", but that might cannibalize 15"pb sales. i just think you shouldnt have to pay 2k USD to get a pc card slot

MacUser1
Sep 23, 2004, 11:36 PM
i hope the new ones come out in the next month or so. my mom is looking for a new ibook for her graduate studies and the ibook G3 500 just isn't cutting it anymore.

t300
Sep 23, 2004, 11:43 PM
What will the specs on these new iBooks???????????

Hold on, I'll call my friend Steve, he knows a lot about this stuff...

Okay, well...

Stevie says that there will be a miniBook, an 8'' iBook added to the line and they will all get speed boosts. Does that help you? Good luck.

slooksterPSV
Sep 23, 2004, 11:45 PM
I remember I was awake when Apple put out the new iBook and Powerbooks. I stayed up all night on the forums just waiting for Apple's site to go down, and it did. Well... I'm guessing the PB G5 won't be out until late June or July. They are having trouble with integrating it into such a portable package. Just think about how much trouble it would be to fit all of those things you need into a PB. I think the G5 processor is just using to much power for it to even be in a portable. Also there are issues with low power modes using less processor usage than on a G4. I dunno. Just think about how they're going to have to integrate things.

BroncoBear
Oct 11, 2004, 09:35 PM
were are they??????????????? :confused:

slooksterPSV
Oct 11, 2004, 09:37 PM
In development

Logik
Oct 11, 2004, 10:03 PM
you'll be waiting for IBM to create a lower power G5 processor before it hits the PB.. at the moment it just uses way too much power and creates too much heat.. keep an update on IBM's roadmap and you'll figure it out soon enough. I just bought a 15" pb in may... i got tired of waiting for the G5.. for a laptop the 1.33ghz G4 is nice... i haven't had any real problems with it...

aswitcher
Oct 11, 2004, 10:25 PM
2 models:
12" iBook - 1.2+GHz G4, 40GB hard drive, 64 MB VRAM, 256 MB on-board.
14" iBook - 1.2+GHz, 40-60GB, 64MB VRAM, 256MB RAM, option for DVD-R.
$999 - $1299. What do you think?

That would definetly be a step in the right direction. BT and WiFi options exist but they still wont have illuminated keyboards, s-video, screen DVI/spanning, etc to see that the PB remains distinct.

rendezvouscp
Oct 11, 2004, 10:47 PM
I read somewhere that Apple was working on a super-thin iBook that would have a high-end G4 procesor and be made of the same stuff as the iPod minis (in colours). I for one think these would def. be a hot seller among college/Uni students if Apple did them right. January MacWorld?

That seems so interesting. It would be going against there white "policy," but it somewhat makes sense. I just don't see Apple doing that though.
–Chase

AliensAreFuzzy
Oct 11, 2004, 11:33 PM
Well, Whatever happens, I'm hoping that there will be a major powerbook update between now and next summer (G5, dual-core G4, whatever). And that I maybe could get a Rev. B by Christmas next year.

panda
Oct 12, 2004, 04:04 AM
Wrong,

just checking here... how do you get 4.5months since last ibook rev?

you and i must have different calendars... my reading of the time elapsed since the last update according to the calendar i use is 6 months minus 1 week. next tuesday in fact should make it 6 months exactly. we are in october now (or so i believe) -may, june, july, august, september, october-yup, that's 6.

the buyers guide shows 176 days since last rev...

based on the past updates, there should be one soon, pre-december. cram and jam europe is ending on nov 2, if that is any indication. i don't think there will be anything big, but there should be some improvements to the range in november.

if there is no end of year update for the pb and ibook, then i think we can begin some heavy speculation as to an important anouncement by steve in jan. though pbg5 would be expecting too much.

my money is on an update to pbs and ibooks during the first half of november.

by the way... read that steve is back at work and going strong. way to go steve! very happy to hear.

:)

panda
Oct 12, 2004, 04:07 AM
oops JamesL - sorry sorry sorry, didn't see you had posted in september!

please excuse. :o

Nermal
Oct 12, 2004, 04:13 AM
I've decided that I'm definitely getting a PowerBook when they're next updated. My Power Mac is getting a bit old for gaming, so the sooner they update, the better :)