Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
I am really getting tired of using my PowerMac G5 all day. Sorry to finally admit it. I can't even load Xbox.com properly because Silverlight doesn't support PowerPC Macs etc.. I just bought a new widescreen monitor.. so iMac is off my list.. MacPro out of my range.. and the Mini can be quick with some RAM and then I'd be good.

But eh. 2.26GHZ C2D for $600..? This month MacRumors had the article about HDMI inputs in the upcoming Minis.. and ABOUT TIME :apple: !! So I would like to hold off a few more months until these come out.

Last Mac I bought was in 08. MacBook Pro. A week later the trackpad finger sensing models came out. I ended up selling it later on.

Come on :apple: Give me a HDMI 3.0GHZ C2D Mac Mini (2GB RAM/ 320GB HDD) for $499. I'll buy on DAY ONE. You'd have a lot of potential Mac owners camping out of the Apple Stores that morning. We'll show those BIEBER (sp) fans who really bring the walls down!

Gerri Shin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
That's a very valid question that I'd like to know the best educated guess (or hopefully an Apple response) about that.

I'm personally hoping for the same HDMI 3.0GHZ C2D, or if possible Core iX, but probably the main thing I'm hoping for is an upgrade from the 256MB VRAM, to at least 512MB or the option to get that along with 4GB RAM standard with 8GB option. and a 500GB HDD option for the non-server models.

[recap]
~ HDMI
~ 3.0GHZ C2D or Core iX CPU
~ at the very least an option for 512MB VRAM
~ 500GB HDD option for non-server models
~ 4GB Ram standard with 8GB option

I know I've been looking at the Mini as a replacement for my 08 MBP, it's still great but I just don't use it that much off-desk and I'll have an iPad in the coming months so it makes sense.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Possibly June/July but Mini updates have ranged from years to months so...

Probably just faster CPU (~2.8GHz C2D in high-end) and possibly a new GPU but don't expect a major jump

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
i'm really convinced that the future mini will get a minor bump and will remain with a faster but still a C2D

there are plenty of processors possible for this platform

and knowing the little consideration given by apple to this machine, i would not be surprised if the mac mini remains the same and gets a 2.66, 2.93 or 3 Ghz while keeping 9400M video card

while the other machines get core i procos...

that's why i just got the mini and upgraded it with a SSD

no need to wait a few more months to get a minor bump

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
Come on :apple: Give me a HDMI 3.0GHZ C2D Mac Mini (2GB RAM/ 320GB HDD) for $499. I'll buy on DAY ONE.

You won't be able to buy that product, because Apple has no way of building it. Check out this Wikipedia page.

Apple ships the P8400, P8700, and P8800 in the Mini. Intel doesn't have any other C2D products in "Penryn-3M" that Apple can use as "drop in" speed bump replacements.

If Apple redesigns the mini it will probably move to a newer generation of mobile CPUs. Goodbye to C2D.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You won't be able to buy that product, because Apple has no way of building it. Check out this Wikipedia page.

Apple ships the P8400, P8700, and P8800 in the Mini. Intel doesn't have any other C2D products in "Penryn-3M" that Apple can use as "drop in" speed bump replacements.

If Apple redesigns the mini it will probably move to a newer generation of mobile CPUs. Goodbye to C2D.

Apple could use T-series, it goes up to 3066MHz but it uses the same socket P

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
We'll get a preview of what to expect for the Mini as soon as the updated MBP's are released shortly after the iPad debut. I imagine we'll see an updated Mini by June at the latest.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Hit with instinct this morning NOT to buy a Mac Mini right now. So I'm going to listen to that for once and just deal with whatever happens with my old iMac.

I do appreciate all the great advice I've been given, but I can't ignore this.

danjast

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Yea I'm waiting for a mac mini update too. Hopefully it comes soon since right now i have a 23" screen just sitting around. I almost bout the refurb 2.0ghz 1gb mini they had but now I don't see it on their site anymore. I guess i'll just wait till the new ones come out.

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
That's a very valid question that I'd like to know the best educated guess (or hopefully an Apple response) about that.

I'm personally hoping for the same HDMI 3.0GHZ C2D, or if possible Core iX, but probably the main thing I'm hoping for is an upgrade from the 256MB VRAM, to at least 512MB or the option to get that along with 4GB RAM standard with 8GB option. and a 500GB HDD option for the non-server models.

[recap]
~ HDMI
~ 3.0GHZ C2D or Core iX CPU
~ at the very least an option for 512MB VRAM
~ 500GB HDD option for non-server models
~ 4GB Ram standard with 8GB option

I know I've been looking at the Mini as a replacement for my 08 MBP, it's still great but I just don't use it that much off-desk and I'll have an iPad in the coming months so it makes sense.

You guys are asking for way too much. You want all the power of an iMac at a fraction of the price and size. Not gonna happen.

I'd say this is a good time to buy. I bought mine and it arrived yesterday, i'm VERY happy with the purchase. Can always upgrade RAM and HDD down the line as well.

If you are in the market, just go for it.

Gerri Shin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
I'd simply like to point out that almost all of my 'suggestions' for improving the Mini are asking for Apple to include the Option to have that kind of power. Current Minis do have the ability to use 8GB of RAM and have 500GB hard drives. I'm just asking Apple to support that. If Apple wants to charge me $1399 for a Mini Server with 2.66GHz C2D, 1TB hard drive, 8GB of RAM, and 512 VRAM then I'll gladly pay for it. But currently they don't have the options for that. I just want the ability to choose those specs.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I'd simply like to point out that almost all of my 'suggestions' for improving the Mini are asking for Apple to include the Option to have that kind of power. Current Minis do have the ability to use 8GB of RAM and have 500GB hard drives. I'm just asking Apple to support that. If Apple wants to charge me $1399 for a Mini Server with 2.66GHz C2D, 1TB hard drive, 8GB of RAM, and 512 VRAM then I'll gladly pay for it. But currently they don't have the options for that. I just want the ability to choose those specs.

They DO support 500GB drives. I ordered one last week with it. Obviously, only with 4GB RAM.

I'm hoping, now, for purely personal reasons they wait at least 1-2 months before upgrading. See above where I already purchased one.

I had delayed a month because of rumors, but couldn't wait any longer. A family members computer was becoming available, and I thought that a mac mini would be a better form factor than the mid sized windows tower she was using. This will support both Windows and OSX, and should be faster than the older computer, in spite of slower hard drive.

substeel

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
Florida
Late summer - No HDMI

I bet they update or at least announce an update late summer. But I am guessing they will not include HDMI. I Just purchased a mac mini and thought long and hard about waiting for and HDMI update since I primarily plan on using this as a theater mac. But I am betting Steve in order to keep interest in the ATV, will not give the Mini an HDMI port.

With 4Gigs of RAM and the core 2 duo I thought the mini was sufficiently powerful enough to be a fun computer and an actual work horse if I so choose.

Maximillian

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
If you want a mini now, just get a refurb. I love the refurbs. Same warrenty as a new one, and it's MUCH cheaper. 4 of my 5 minis are refurbs and I've had no problems with them failing.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
If you want a mini now, just get a refurb. I love the refurbs. Same warrenty as a new one, and it's MUCH cheaper. 4 of my 5 minis are refurbs and I've had no problems with them failing.

Another option is craigslist. I bought my latest Mac Mini - 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini (Mid 2007) - a little over a year ago off of Craigslist for $375. The seller had originally listed it at $850. At the time I remember that a 1.83 C2D Mac Mini was $599 on the Apple store ($579 w/ a student discount) and a refurbished 1.83ghz Mac Mini was $499 when available. I used that to bring it down. It was just a couple months old and so had original warranty until October 2009. Had a few upgrades too ( little more RAM, bigger HD). In 2006 I had bought a Mac Mini G4 which was a similar situation.

Well, the mini was updated twice in 09, and hadn't been updated before that since 07, so it could be this summer or it could be 2011 :p

Curious, the two updates that have occured since my mid 2007 model, how much better are those mac minis than the one I have?

I'm actually looking for a home computer right now (left the Mac Mini with my family) and debating on getting something like a mac mini again or stepping up to an iMac or even a Mac Pro. My primary computer is a 2007 MacBook Pro (2.2ghz C2D SR) and I'm upgrading that later this year to the latest MacBook Pro. The home computer will be a secondary computer for me and my wife (hers is a MacBook Air)

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Another option is craigslist. I bought my latest Mac Mini - 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini (Mid 2007) - a little over a year ago off of Craigslist for $375. The seller had originally listed it at $850. At the time I remember that a 1.83 C2D Mac Mini was $599 on the Apple store ($579 w/ a student discount) and a refurbished 1.83ghz Mac Mini was $499 when available. I used that to bring it down. It was just a couple months old and so had original warranty until October 2009. Had a few upgrades too ( little more RAM, bigger HD). In 2006 I had bought a Mac Mini G4 which was a similar situation.

Curious, the two updates that have occured since my mid 2007 model, how much better are those mac minis than the one I have?

I'm actually looking for a home computer right now (left the Mac Mini with my family) and debating on getting something like a mac mini again or stepping up to an iMac or even a Mac Pro. My primary computer is a 2007 MacBook Pro (2.2ghz C2D SR) and I'm upgrading that later this year to the latest MacBook Pro. The home computer will be a secondary computer for me and my wife (hers is a MacBook Air)

The latest mac mini update:

H5r8w.Screen%20shot%202010-03-27%20at%208.42.36%20PM.png

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

It's a big jump. I just went from a 1.83CD (not as fast as a Core 2, but close) to the 2.26 current model. It was a huge jump. Apps don't bounce nearly as much when I open them, video is much faster, and everything seems to be much faster. Granted, I did upgrade mine to 4GB of RAM and a 320GB Western Digital Scorpio Black drive, so those made a nice improvement, but the faster processor, RAM, and video make all the difference.

Edit: The second update last year was really just a speed and memory bump. The big jump was the early 2009 models when they added the 9400M graphics and new processors. As far as future updates: Who knows? The Mini is erratic. I personally think we won't see any upgrades on any Macs until after the iPad is out a couple of weeks.

Arie

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
The Netherlands
As written in "The unofficial "I'm Waiting for Arrandale" thread... part 6":

I would like to purchase the Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server, while waiting for a refresh on the 13" MacBook Pro, so earlier this week I contacted a local reseller, an Apple Certified Service Provider, for a quote. They have informed me that stock is low and that the expectation is that the Mac mini is due for a refresh within two weeks, just like the MacBook Pro, and they advised me to wait.

I contacted Media Markt, a large electronics supplier, to see if they have a Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server in stock and the employee there said that he was told by the management that a refresh was due within two weeks for both the MacBook Pro as well as the Mac mini and as well advised me to wait.

Either they are speculating like the rest of us, or I will be the proud owner of a new 13" MacBook Pro in a few weeks. ;)

(First post. Woohoo! :D)

This would mean that an update for the Mac mini is due soon, although I do not know if this would also include the Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server, even though they stated so. They might only refresh the normal Mac mini, seeing that the Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server is not that old yet.

norbiu

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
Two weeks? Is there an event before WWDC that I don't know about? Or will this be a silent refresh?

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

I posted this earlier and saw feedback from Bacong & steve2112. Seems the Mac Mini that is out right now is a lot better than the one I had purchased used off of Craigslist in early 2009 - I think right before the update. But I did purchase it for a little under $400 so I think I made out pretty good.

The following's a little long but it's me sort of thinking everything in my head too.. but if there's any comments, please chime in.

I'm in need of a home computer (left the 1.83ghz C2D Mac Mini and the Dell 2408WFP 24 inch Monitor with my family) and am wondering what route to go. 1) if I should do the same thing I did before about looking for a fairly recent, used Mac Mini on craigslist still under warranty for around $400, then pick up a monitor. Or 2) get an iMac.

My primary computer right now is my 2.2ghz MacBook Pro C2D SR which will up updated this year (I sell my MBP before applecare's up) and my wife's primary computer is her macbook air (she'll have this for up to two years). If I got a better home computer, I would look into doing more with it - some video editing for me, and my wife probably would start getting into photoshop. The problem is that in looking at the iMac, from the threads I'm reading seems the better ones are worth it so I'm tempted to get the i7 quad core which is currently $1850 refurbished (should be just tax on top but after I sell the free printer I should end up back around 1850).

A high price but assuming I got a monitor on the caliber of the 2408WFP - Dell 2408WFP 24 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (whatever is on that level today), I think I'd be looking at around $500 or so which is what I paid for the Dell. Add that to the $400 or so I'd expect to pay for the Mac Mini unless I get the better Mac Mini which would probably be closer to $600 on craigslist (have to figure out if better mac mini is worth it).

If I do the iMac, the mods on the list would be an SSD swap of the 1TB HD and putting in a blu-ray. I think I cold do an SSD on a Mac Mini but not sure what I could do w/ blu-ray for a Mac Mini - probably external?

So I'm basically looking at $600ish or so price difference between a) a recent, used Mac Mini and nice, large monitor versus b) 27" iMac i7.

Any thoughts? after typing all this out.. I think the extra $600ish could be justified as long as we did a lot with the computer

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Any thoughts? after typing all this out.. I think the extra $600ish could be justified as long as we did a lot with the computer
I think your priorities are backwards; it sounds like you're going to decide how to spend your time based on which computer you buy. First decide whether or not you're going to do those things, then decide which computer can do it. Personally, I don't like the bundled display aspect of iMacs, but if I was frequently doing heavy video/photo editing, I wouldn't use a mini when faster options are available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.