Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Hello all -

I'm still using Lightroom 1.4 and want to try out Aperture 3. Is it possible to point Aperture to the same place that Lightroom imported my RAW files without any worries? I'm thinking that it should be as Lightroom just adds it's catalog file, correct?

Thanks!

-- N

AndyGordon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire, UK
The answer as ever is - it depends. Both LR and Aperture can 'reference' files in the directory structure of your hard drive, and use their own databases (LR = Catalogue) to store their own application specific data.

Alternately you can set up both to store the original file in their own database, in which case it is much harder.

So, if you want to play with both, I would suggest using the referenced route, i.e. set up a folder structure and set both products to:
Aperture - Store Files in their Current Location on import and
LR - Add Photo's to Catalogue without moving option

This way the originals will remain in the folder, both app's can access them

Cheers

Andy

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Note that Aperture won't pick up any edits you've done in Lightroom though. (nor, in the reverse case, would Lightroom pick up Aperture's edits).

Also just be aware that Aperture works significantly differently than Lightroom. So if you really want to see what Aperture can do, you need to give it a decent amount of time. When I tried Lightroom, I thought its tools seemed very familiar to Photoshop's - so there wasn't much of a learning curve. Aperture takes some getting used to. I prefer it; but some people seem to spend 5 minutes, see that it doesn't work the way they are used to and then drop it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.