Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Anyone in here have this model or any of the iMac g4 models?

For some reason, I just want one on my desk!! It looks so cool with the swivel and for some reason I kind of miss the g4 old technology! I'd use it just for browsing the web and leaving it to d/l stuff and emails.

One question is can this iMac handle youtube videos?

jarenado

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Florida
you should be ok with youtube videos. I have an 800mhz one, and it takes some time to load them but it will play them. Hulu is a bit too much for it to handle. Its definitely just a web surfing/hobby computer, but yours should be able to give you a bit of functionality for a little while. They are definitely fun to own though.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i don't get the whole "i'm going to buy a 4 year old computer because it's by apple" concept. it's old, outdated, and will be slow with today's apps (if it can even run them). on top of that it will probably be susceptible to the latest exploits. why not buy a new mac mini instead? it's cheap, runs circles around the system you mentioned, and you can use a monitor of your choice (also can be cheap depending on what you use it for).

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I find our 17" 1GHz model runs quite well. I upgraded it to the full 2GB of RAM it will handle, and that helps a lot. A 7200rpm hard drive would probably make a world of difference too, but I haven't gone with one yet. 1.25GHz would be a good bit faster than mine, so it'll still be a good computer for you. Just make sure you don't pay too much.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
i don't get the whole "i'm going to buy a 4 year old computer because it's by apple" concept. it's old, outdated, and will be slow with today's apps (if it can even run them). on top of that it will probably be susceptible to the latest exploits. why not buy a new mac mini instead? it's cheap, runs circles around the system you mentioned, and you can use a monitor of your choice (also can be cheap depending on what you use it for).

Maybe the OP doesn't want a Mini, but just wants something cheap to use for basic tasks. In answer to the OP, go for it, but make sure it's cheap, don't spend over..$200. If you can, go for the 20", or even a iMac G5, if possible.
I dislike the "I want an older mac", with the answer being "Don't do that, get a Mini". The mini might not fit your needs, as it isn't that expandable.
Another tip for the OP, go for a PowerMac G5, they are very expandable, and you just might be able to find something under $200-$250.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Maybe the OP doesn't want a Mini, but just wants something cheap to use for basic tasks. In answer to the OP, go for it, but make sure it's cheap, don't spend over..$200. If you can, go for the 20", or even a iMac G5, if possible.
I dislike the "I want an older mac", with the answer being "Don't do that, get a Mini". The mini might not fit your needs, as it isn't that expandable.
Another tip for the OP, go for a PowerMac G5, they are very expandable, and you just might be able to find something under $200-$250.

Yea as you can see on my sig that I already have a "primary" machine thats plenty fast. I just want one of the 17" imac g4 due to the screen swivel design that just looks so cool.

I want to get one before it becomes even older..

As for the 17" imac g4, I thought it can only go to 1GB of RAM max..??

I cant find the 17" imac g4 for anything lower than $300. Man I want one real bad but then I could get a mac mini for that amount..

sgmorr

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2005
DFW area Texas
I have gifted my old G4 1 GHz flat panel iLamp to my son. It still works great running Tiger. Got it in 2003.

Now I've got a new 21.5 inch iMac. I can actually watch internet video again. You just will not be happy watching internet video on the G4 regardless of how much RAM you have or the speed of your internet connection. Flash is simply not optimized any longer for the PPC. It may be OK to watch the non-Flash video on Youtube, but by and large, watching internet video with the G4 is either painful or impossible.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
You aren't looking hard enough. My friend and I purchased a 1.25ghz 17" model for $150 last year, with an airport card and airport extreme thrown in too!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
i don't get the whole "i'm going to buy a 4 year old computer because it's by apple" concept. it's old, outdated, and will be slow with today's apps (if it can even run them).
I bought a 6 year old PC to use as my Windows machine. Sure, it was old and arguably outdated, but it fit my needs and still does to this day. Same thing with Macs, a lot of people don't need the power of new machines (still sporting a 5 year old eMac here as my main machine) and older computers are much cheaper.

on top of that it will probably be susceptible to the latest exploits.
I'm not entirely sure why you would think this. If anything, it's the newer OS's that are more susceptible. The older ones have had numerous security updates to keep them safe, and it's rare to find new holes in older OS's.

Plus, some people just like the nostalgia and looks of an older machine. ;)

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I just won a bid for a 15" imac g4, 512mb RAM, 150GB hdd machine for $130. But it doesnt come with any keyboard, mouse or those little circle harman kardon speakers. Also it comes preinstalled with ubuntu and no osx.

Anyone know if I can use a disc from the macbook to install osx on it?

I just want to use it to view webpages and check email. Mostly for decorative reasons on my desk! I always wanted one!

Plus I've looked around and the 17" imac g4 1ghz/1.25ghz are going for $300 on average.

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
My iMac G5 feels just as fast as my MBP doing basic tasks. However, a G4 just isnt fast enough for Flash video most of the time. Try turning flash down to low quality, it should help. Good luck finding one too. Id get the 20" if I were you.

sgmorr

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2005
DFW area Texas
Anyone know if I can use a disc from the macbook to install osx on it?

I just want to use it to view webpages and check email. Mostly for decorative reasons on my desk! I always wanted one!

Which version of OS X are you planning to install? Not sure if the computer specific disk that came with your Macbook would work, probably not. My G4 iLamp 17 inch came with Jaguar on it and I upgraded first to Panther and then to Tiger and I stopped there. I'd recommend trying to find an old Tiger retail disk, preferably from a friend who won't try to rip you off for as much as they try to sell these on the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.