PDA

View Full Version : Superdrive eMacs in October


arn
Aug 5, 2002, 04:21 AM
Spymac reports (http://www.spymac.com/comments.php?id=126_0_5_0_C) that the eMac could get minor updates as soon as October.

Besides memory upgrades, a Superdrive enabled eMac is anticipated.

Zettabyte Solutions (http://zettabytesolutions.com/) had previously offered (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/11.zettabyte.php) Superdrive enabled eMacs as a custom build... but were recently stopped by Apple. This spawned speculation regarding Apple's own intentions in this arena.

groovebuster
Aug 5, 2002, 06:23 AM
... who would buy an eMac with a SuperDrive??? :confused:

Does that make sense from a marketing point of view? That way even less people would buy an iMac, when the only difference is the LCD monitor...

groovebuster

SubFredZero
Aug 5, 2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by groovebuster
... who would buy an eMac with a SuperDrive??? :confused:

i would... the only thing that prevents me from buying a emac is that i want to write my own DVD's. But i'm not going to buy a imac only for the superdrive because they are way to expensive. So from the "marketing point of view" it would be a good move cause i'm not going to buy a new apple before we have a super drived emac.

MacArtist
Aug 5, 2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by groovebuster
... who would buy an eMac with a SuperDrive???

A lot of people in the education market would buy the eMac with superdrive. Schools don't want the iMac flat panel because of all of the ware and tare that kids can put on the arm. And buying a superdrive equiped PowerMac might be a bit out of their budget.

PowerMac 800 w/ superdrive and 17" CRT edu $1900
eMac 700 w/ superdrive estimated edu $1400

As far as consumers go, it may not be the best option but for a school it would do fairly well I think.

drastik
Aug 5, 2002, 08:40 AM
yes, we can't lose sight of the fact that the eMac is really meant for education, plus, I might buy one as a home machine, if my office weren't at home. I would be nice to have that kind of functionality away from the big tower that one might have in an office space. On the other hand, the rumoured superdrive Ti Books might make that a reality.

bbarnhart
Aug 5, 2002, 08:50 AM
Although, I have no use right now for the SuperDrive, I would buy an eMac if they stuck in a higher quality monitor. But, I doubt they will. The refresh rate on the current eMac at 1280 x 980 (?) is 75 Hz. Way too slow. Flicker city.

Tekneek
Aug 5, 2002, 11:39 AM
Superdrive equipped eMacs have been available to the education market since its release. Check the apple educational store, they cost $1415.00.








Originally posted by MacArtist


A lot of people in the education market would buy the eMac with superdrive. Schools don't want the iMac flat panel because of all of the ware and tare that kids can put on the arm. And buying a superdrive equiped PowerMac might be a bit out of their budget.

PowerMac 800 w/ superdrive and 17" CRT edu $1900
eMac 700 w/ superdrive estimated edu $1400

As far as consumers go, it may not be the best option but for a school it would do fairly well I think. Apple Education Store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-5009/WebObjects/EducationIndividual.woa/183/wo/wgSWs1dwJmLgpW8I76/2.3.0.3.34.21.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?107,69)

JEdiBeavis
Aug 5, 2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Tekneek
Superdrive equipped eMacs have been available to the education market since its release. Check the apple educational store, they cost $1415.00.








Apple Education Store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-5009/WebObjects/EducationIndividual.woa/183/wo/wgSWs1dwJmLgpW8I76/2.3.0.3.34.21.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?107,69)

Uh, that would be a COMBO drive, not a SUPERDRIVE.

It's like the difference between Ray Meyer and Joey Meyer (gratuitous inside DePaul reference for the mistaken fellow, whose education store link showed me where he went to school).

Tekneek
Aug 5, 2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by JEdiBeavis


Uh, that would be a COMBO drive, not a SUPERDRIVE.

It's like the difference between Ray Meyer and Joey Meyer (gratuitous inside DePaul reference for the mistaken fellow, whose education store link showed me where he went to school).

Oops. You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. lol :D

TechLarry
Aug 6, 2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by groovebuster
... who would buy an eMac with a SuperDrive??? :confused:

Does that make sense from a marketing point of view? That way even less people would buy an iMac, when the only difference is the LCD monitor...

groovebuster

A lot of people. It would be the lowest-cost DVD production machine available.

TL

Over Achiever
Aug 19, 2002, 03:14 PM
I just wanted to point out that spymac was wrong...again!:D

Groovebuster, looks like the only difference is the LCD screen...and a "big" difference it is. Don't forget the price, and those that still like CRTs!

Ok, sorry for bringing back this dead thread...hehe.

Gigglebyte
Aug 19, 2002, 03:59 PM
Jedi - if you check again you will see the e-mac with a superdrive for $1,499 and the regular apple store and I think it is $1,449 at the edu store. The combo drive is on the entry level e-mac

Over Achiever
Aug 19, 2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Gigglebyte
Jedi - if you check again you will see the e-mac with a superdrive for $1,499 and the regular apple store and I think it is $1,449 at the edu store. The combo drive is on the entry level e-mac

That was before the eMac was updated with the superdrive. Back then (last week) there was no superdrive eMac.

Note to self: never comment on practically dead threads...some of the comments won't make sense anymore.:)