PDA

View Full Version : iPod - Did any one notice?

munchmime
Sep 10, 2004, 03:02 PM
Taking music from iPod to another computer.

I often wondered if it could be done without 3rd party software, but never tried it until recently. I also don't remember ever seeing posts on this before, though I could be wrong.

enable disk mode, open your music folder, drag mp3 to ipod (not using itunes), disconnect iPod, go to another computer.

I have always have it in disk mode. I went into my Music Folder, clicked on an mp3, dragged it to my ipod, dropped it, and went to my father in-laws. Connected my iPod, opened it up and copied the mp3 to his Music folder, Then double clicked and it opened up in iTunes (as expected),

Has anyone else noticed this is possible?
I know its not totally as practical as some apps that let you transfer the music, but it is cheaper.

realityisterror
Sep 10, 2004, 03:20 PM
if you put the mp3 on it that way, you can't listen to it through the ipod...
if you wanted to transfer all your music, you'd have to have two full copies of your songs on there... not too great... those "other apps" are often free, quicker, and don't require you to keep two copies...

reality

kgarner
Sep 10, 2004, 03:20 PM
The reason it is not really talked about is that this method does not allow you to listen to the music on your iPod (which most people want to do). If this is not important than this method is great.

EDIT: beaten to the punch.

jxyama
Sep 10, 2004, 04:19 PM
yep, two prev. posters are correct.

basically, unless you keep two copies of songs (one in iPod-listenable area and another in the disk mode), iPod cannot be used to let your friend listen to a song and then give him/her that song.

it's not impossible and there are many third party apps to get around this. it's sometime legitimate - such as if you had erased iTunes music off of your computer and the only copy of songs you have are on the iPod. (check the threads: there are many posts on this very issue. :D ) but it's cumbersome enough that it discourages casual file sharing. i assume apple either did this to be able to say it's against music piracy or had to do it under pressure from RIAA.

phonemonkey
Sep 10, 2004, 05:36 PM
if you put the mp3 on it that way, you can't listen to it through the ipod...
if you wanted to transfer all your music, you'd have to have two full copies of your songs on there... not too great... those "other apps" are often free, quicker, and don't require you to keep two copies...

reality

Can anyone recommend one of the free apps. I want to put my stuff back in itunes after a format and the programs I have tried are trials and only put half of what I hae got on the ipod to my desktop. If there isn't any free ones I can rip the cd's again but 70+ cd's on a 400mhz sawtooth will take forever

Dr. Dastardly
Sep 10, 2004, 05:54 PM
Never the less it is a good way to transfer files in general. Its a pretty useful tip if stuck in that position.

rainman::|:|
Sep 10, 2004, 07:00 PM
Not only has this been possible since the first iPod, but disk mode is a widely advertised feature... i don't think it will come as a surprise to most people.

paul

Phat_Pat
Sep 10, 2004, 07:47 PM
i use the disc function all the time... mostly to move files from home to school.

gotta love it :D

rozwell
Sep 10, 2004, 07:55 PM
Can anyone recommend one of the free apps. I want to put my stuff back in itunes after a format and the programs I have tried are trials and only put half of what I hae got on the ipod to my desktop. If there isn't any free ones I can rip the cd's again but 70+ cd's on a 400mhz sawtooth will take forever
http://macupdate.com
http://google.com
your best friend when you need somethin ;)

clashbakk8
Sep 10, 2004, 10:20 PM
can anybody give the links to the third party software so the process can be easier?

Mord
Sep 11, 2004, 01:16 PM
most of them stall halfway through or are badly designed i have yet to find one that i like

munkle
Sep 11, 2004, 01:40 PM
can anybody give the links to the third party software so the process can be easier?

I use PodWorks (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/10273) and it's always been great for me...three thousand plus songs. It's shareware rather than freeware.

munchmime
Sep 11, 2004, 01:45 PM
I wasn't saying for you to put it on your iPod to listen too, I said to take from one place to another, cheap and free.

REALITY, like some one said.

I have been around macs for ever, I probably do more computing and use more power than half of you, please do not make snide remarks.

How ever, say you just wanted to take the music home from work, or a friends, this is an easy convenient way of doing it, especially for people who don't want to buy a 3rd party app.

Perhaps it's me though. Perhaps I am stupid in thinking that others would see the small value in this?
you all make it sound like it's hard to drag and drop an extra file to get an easy copy of a song file.
ohh my god, I'm alone in the dark!?
Whatta concept. I do remember also saying:

I know its not totally as practical as some apps that let you transfer the music, but it is cheaper.
That was my point. Read, comprehend, then speak... "Reality",
correction train of thought.
also:
I myself have had this problem many times wit 3rd party software for this:
most of them stall halfway through or are badly designed i have yet to find one that i like
let me rephrase, I AM NOT A NEWBIE, I was just pointing out something it seems many people don't realize because music is in hidden files, and "can't be moved".
Yes, I use my iPod to move files other than music all the time, I have had each generation of ipod except a mini.... 1st gen rev b, 2 gen rev a, 3g 15gig 4g 40 gig.

realityisterror
Sep 11, 2004, 02:28 PM
if you wanted to transfer all your music ... not too great

if you want to transfer just a few songs then yes, i agree, it is great.. but how can you know which two songs someone will want from you? there are situations that you may want to give someone two songs, but i think it is more likely that someone will say to you, "hey.. can you put those two songs on my computer?"...

please do not make snide remarks.
and same to you... we're not newbie's either...

reality

plasticparadox
Sep 11, 2004, 11:36 PM
Perhaps it's me though. Perhaps I am stupid in thinking that others would see the small value in this?
you all make it sound like it's hard to drag and drop an extra file to get an easy copy of a song file.

also:

let me rephrase, I AM NOT A NEWBIE, I was just pointing out something it seems many people don't realize because music is in hidden files, and "can't be moved".
Yes, I use my iPod to move files other than music all the time, I have had each generation of ipod except a mini.... 1st gen rev b, 2 gen rev a, 3g 15gig 4g 40 gig.

Man, you're just talking about Disk Mode. I don't see anything revolutionary about this. It's just the same as dragging a Word file from your Home folder into your iPod. I don't see why you have to classify this as some new experience for the sole reason that the file you're putting on your iPod has a .mp3 or .m4a extension. You totally are a newbie.

TigerXChaos
Sep 16, 2004, 12:35 PM
I wasn't saying for you to put it on your iPod to listen too, I said to take from one place to another, cheap and free.

REALITY, like some one said.

I have been around macs for ever, I probably do more computing and use more power than half of you, please do not make snide remarks.

How ever, say you just wanted to take the music home from work, or a friends, this is an easy convenient way of doing it, especially for people who don't want to buy a 3rd party app.

also:

What a nasty little jerk you are. None of those comments was particularly snide, except for *one* that might be considered a bit demeaning. You must be having a bad day. Try being a bit more courteous to people.

AoWolf
Sep 16, 2004, 12:52 PM
Do a Google search for iPodrip its a little slow but works well.

Sharewaredemon
Sep 16, 2004, 02:00 PM
I did that a few times from school, dropped a few songs that i wanted on my computer to i could keep autosynch on and not have the songs deleted.
It's nice to have the songs in your library, as it makes everything a lot simpler.

jemeinc
Sep 16, 2004, 02:48 PM
What a nasty little jerk you are. None of those comments was particularly snide, except for *one* that might be considered a bit demeaning. You must be having a bad day. Try being a bit more courteous to people.

LOL... I was thinking the same thing... The level of arrogance of some people truly amazes me...

gwuMACaddict
Sep 16, 2004, 03:26 PM
darn it... i was hoping for some iPod excitement... instead its just another angry thread... :rolleyes:

that said, i love using my pod to transfer photos from the lab to home and vice versa

javabear90
Sep 16, 2004, 04:00 PM
Be a man.....
Use the terminal... View the hidden files, transfer.... and whala!!
or make an applescript to view hidden files in the Finder... it is very simple. :D

interested
Sep 16, 2004, 07:56 PM
just use copypod:

http://www.copypod.net/index.php