Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Okay, here's the deal. I need a printer, and, realistically nobody needs more than what a $150 printer can provide. So, I am looking for a sub-$100 printer that is reliable. My previous printers have included:

1) Epson 740i - Loud, high quality at the time
2) Canon S520 - Individual color ink tanks, great quality (even photos, great!), just quit working.

I am looking at the Canon i350, however, I can't seem to find it in stock in my area (or available online). This leads me to believe that it is being decomissioned, however, I have been on this search for a few months. I will print mostly BW/Color documents, but Photos will also be printed. But what is my major qualification? INK COST. If any printer's ink cartridge costs more than $8-$10ea. on DealInk or EZ Inkjets.com than it is NOT an option. Please help me with my search!

PS, If the printer looks good next to a PowerBook, it's a bonus!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
michaelrjohnson said:
Well. you sure took "ASAP" to heart!

Thanks for the tip. I just checked it out, and it's already on it's way.

a) High quality printing
b) Low Price tag
c) Ink cartridges from $3.55 each.

That's a perfect match for my needs!

Thanks

I just happened to see it after you posted. :D

I like what Canon are doing right now and I hope they will continue. I could swear I saw a release on an all-in-one with Mac OS X drivers, which is a big change. I'm quite happy with my i9900 and I think it will be good for quite a while. I've never been a fan of inexpensive printers because they end up being cheap, instead of inexpensive, but I believe that Canon are more concerned with their name than a huge profit.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Chip NoVaMac said:
With rebates you could get the CX6400 with a scanner for under $150. I love mine.

It's been replaced with the CX6600, so there may be deals to come.

markh

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I recently purchased the outdate Canon i560 (it has been replaced by the Canon Pimax IP3000, which i dont like the look of..._).. Great quality prints and works with my airport express :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I've used an old HP Deskject 825c. Old printer, but does great. Ink cartridges around the size of your hand. (I go a year without changing the color one, black one around every 6 months). It even is USB compatible!!

But for WiFi network accsess, for the entire family, there is an HP Deskjet 5850. That thing is sweet. Had some initial setup trouble, however (subnet was set to 255.255.0.0, our home is 255.255.255.0) but by simply direct connecting it with an ethernet cable, it worked great! But it has those dinky cartridges...

I'd recommend the 825c to anyone who needs it. Going for ~30 dollars on ebay.

(BTW, this printer I belive can be used with OS 8 to 9, and X has native support. I do not know about 7, but who uses that now anyway?)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i'd get that afforementioned canon if i didnt already have an epson stylus c84. 22ppm black (and they mean it) rated at 12 color but i get 5-7ish and the cartridges are small but long-lasting. picked it up for 80 bucks in december at office depot, but i think prices have about stayed constant since

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
markh said:
I recently purchased the outdate Canon i560 (it has been replaced by the Canon Pimax IP3000, which i dont like the look of..._).. Great quality prints and works with my airport express :)

Doesn't it looks like the whole Pixma line got HP's old boxy cases?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
markh said:
Yes, but worse, the Pimxa line a big n square n ugly n heavy...

It will be interesting to see how these sell to the consumer in general.

IMO, whether you go with Canon, Epson, or HP you are getting a good printer these days. Some of it comes down to style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.