PDA

View Full Version : Ipad Camera connection kit - more details

decson
Mar 27, 2010, 04:21 AM
Hi all

Just noticed it now states late April, but also the key thing is that you can link your iPhone to download pictures too :-) Wonder if this would work with other media?

Check it out
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531?mco=MTczNzY0NDg

elmo151
Mar 27, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hi all

Just noticed it now states late April, but also the key thing is that you can link your iPhone to download pictures too :-) Wonder if this would work with other media?

Check it out
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531?mco=MTczNzY0NDg

I didn't know it was available for order. I ordered one.

Thanks

kernkraft
Mar 27, 2010, 06:38 AM
What a nice solution for a problem that Apple created!

You might also spend that $30 on an Eye Fi SD card...

Edit: actually, the adaptor gives you more practicality. But it's so annoying that such a simple thing is not included in the iPad!

Doju
Mar 27, 2010, 07:04 AM
To connect iPhone wouldn't you need a cord with both ends being 30pin connectors? Where would you get one of those?

kes601
Mar 27, 2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one. This was the accessory I was looking forward to the most.

nippyjun
Mar 27, 2010, 07:09 AM
Is there a way of adding this to the already ordered ipad order to avoid shipping fees?

Chundles
Mar 27, 2010, 07:16 AM
To connect iPhone wouldn't you need a cord with both ends being 30pin connectors? Where would you get one of those?

No. The Camera Connector kit has a standard USB port on it. You just need the usual iPod cable.

30-pin connector into iPhone, USB connector into Camera Kit, Camera Kit into iPad.

They updated Aperture 3 the other day to allow the iPad to be recognised as a device so when you come home from a trip you can download all the RAW files you've stored on your iPad instead of your heavy laptop.

This thing is going to be awesome. If they can figure a way to backup your date on-the-go without having to sync with iTunes (hello massive NC data centre...) then I reckon I could leave my laptop at home most of the time.

simply258
Mar 27, 2010, 07:18 AM

no, connect the 30 pin connector to your iPhone, and connect the other end of the cable (the USB interface) to your connection kit.

Ashmanspice
Mar 27, 2010, 08:52 AM
I was thinking about buying a hd camcorder similar to the flip cameras. Do you think I would be able to transfer hd videos straight from the camera and then upload to youtube?

I've been looking at this one for anyone interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Camileo-1080p-Definition-Camcorder/dp/B001VQ5DQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269697915&sr=1-1

4DThinker
Mar 27, 2010, 09:36 AM
When shopping for a case for your iPads, make sure to get one with pockets for those adapters.

melman101
Mar 27, 2010, 09:39 AM
Too bad I have a trip before they come out. At least I'll have my WiFi iPad though

PsyD4Me
Mar 27, 2010, 09:55 AM
can't one just use Itunes to dump photos on the ipad?

Chundles
Mar 27, 2010, 10:00 AM

Yes, but this allows one to upload photos from a camera directly to the iPad.

Now when I go on holidays I can take my iPad and save about 3.5 kilos in my backpack AND a lot of room too.

talkingnewmedia
Mar 27, 2010, 10:00 AM

Yes, but this allows you to plug your camera directly into your iPad. Reason? Say you're on vacation and you didn't take your computer, just your camera and iPad. Then you can transfer photos directly for viewing, e-mailing, etc.

I would think developers would find other uses for this, as well.

OOPS: beat me by a few seconds there Chundles!

G4R2
Mar 27, 2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks! I also ordered one.

Ideally the USB connecter, at the very least, would have been built in to the iPad to remove the need of this dongle.

MacVDS
Mar 27, 2010, 10:03 AM
I wonder if the gizmo is smart enough to import video to the video app directory? Doesn't really say how video importing is handled. It will be nice to be able to email photos home while on a trip though.

fishkorp
Mar 27, 2010, 10:47 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I called the 800 number and they added it to my existing order so I could get free shipping. Took 2 mintues.

PlayHard
Mar 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I called the 800 number and they added it to my existing order so I could get free shipping. Took 2 mintues.

Won't that potentially hold up your order if one is ready to ship and the other isn't available yet? Do you have to wait for both to ship at the same time? If not, I may do this.

touchmonkey
Mar 27, 2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks! I also ordered one.

Ideally the USB connecter, at the very least, would have been built in to the iPad to remove the need of this dongle.

true
and with a usb port even via dongle aren't a lot of possibilities opened?
couldn't you connect a cam and have the skype or all kinds of other things?

marksman
Mar 27, 2010, 03:38 PM
true
and with a usb port even via dongle aren't a lot of possibilities opened?
couldn't you connect a cam and have the skype or all kinds of other things?

There is no evidence at present that this dongle will do anything other than what it is stated it will do. So I suggest if you expect it to do other things you wait before buying it.

melman101
Mar 27, 2010, 03:42 PM
I guess we have to assume that they aren't going to have these dongles on April 3rd in store?

admanimal
Mar 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hi all

It makes sense that it would work with the iPhone, since the iPhone just shows up as another camera when you open iPhoto while the phone is docked (on a Mac, that is).

MikhailT
Mar 27, 2010, 07:24 PM
It would be interesting to see if it'll work with any USB flash or even if it doesn't, will we be able to use photos.app with the SDHC cards without "importing"?

What I mean is, can I bring 5-10 different SDHC cards with my iPad to my family or friends and plug any random SHDC card in, will iPad open up instantly with the photos viewable, or do I have to import it first and it'll remain there even if I unplugged the card?

"After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library."

This suggests no. I rather just upload the content to some photo sharing site instead.

zub3qin
Mar 28, 2010, 08:40 AM
Don't want to dampen the excitment on the camera connection kit but:

1) Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy more SD cards for your camera? When you are full, use the next one. I have an 8GB card now... if that was full (and that would take a lot of photos and video- not sure how you could fill it up) , and I saved it to my iPad, it would use up a LOT of space on the iPad. Unless you had a 64GB iPad, again, isn't it better to get a couple of SD cards?

2) OK, I get it- so what if you want to email the photos? Well, you don't really have iPhoto on iPad I don't think. Will it send photos in the "emailable" smaller sizes? Prob yes. But can you edit the photos in any way like with iPhoto? That is what I really want..... Crop, touchup, annotate, redeye, enhance, effects..... Unless it does that, it isn't that great.

touchmonkey
Mar 28, 2010, 10:25 AM
There is no evidence at present that this dongle will do anything other than what it is stated it will do. So I suggest if you expect it to do other things you wait before buying it.

I don't expect anything.
But it makes things possible.
And there are a lot of talented hackers out there.

MikhailT
Mar 28, 2010, 10:26 AM
Don't want to dampen the excitment on the camera connection kit but:

1) Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy more SD cards for your camera? When you are full, use the next one. I have an 8GB card now... if that was full (and that would take a lot of photos and video- not sure how you could fill it up) , and I saved it to my iPad, it would use up a LOT of space on the iPad. Unless you had a 64GB iPad, again, isn't it better to get a couple of SD cards?

2) OK, I get it- so what if you want to email the photos? Well, you don't really have iPhoto on iPad I don't think. Will it send photos in the "emailable" smaller sizes? Prob yes. But can you edit the photos in any way like with iPhoto? That is what I really want..... Crop, touchup, annotate, redeye, enhance, effects..... Unless it does that, it isn't that great.

Nobody (well almost) is buying this just to store the photos on the iPad. The idea is to use the power of iPad to use advanced media features on it. There'll be Photoshop for iPad, PhotoGene, ColorOfTouch and so many photography apps will be porting to iPad. The Photos app will be able to email the photos in any size or you can use other applications to upload to flickr and facebook.

Imagine photographers who bring their laptops to do simple editing before previewing them to the clients, with this camera kit, they'll just directly import it, do their stuff, and preview it to their clients within seconds.

str1f3
Mar 28, 2010, 10:37 AM
I was thinking about buying a hd camcorder similar to the flip cameras. Do you think I would be able to transfer hd videos straight from the camera and then upload to youtube?

I've been looking at this one for anyone interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Camileo-1080p-Definition-Camcorder/dp/B001VQ5DQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269697915&sr=1-1

Bump for this question especially when the next iPhone will have a greater than 50% chance of recording 720p.

kchamussy
May 17, 2010, 02:38 AM
Hi. I'm the developer of 'Photo Transfer App'. An universal (iPhone/iPad) application that let's you transfer photos from your iPhone or computer to your iPad over wifi. No cables and no Camera Connection Kit necessary. The app is currently in the Top 25 iPad apps in the photography category.

Here are couple of videos that show how the app works:

http://www.phototransferapp.com/ipad.html

And the link to iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app/id365152940?mt=8

I hope you find it useful.

touchmonkey
May 17, 2010, 03:36 AM
Hi. I'm the developer of 'Photo Transfer App'. An universal (iPhone/iPad) application that let's you transfer photos from your iPhone or computer to your iPad over wifi. No cables and no Camera Connection Kit necessary. The app is currently in the Top 25 iPad apps in the photography category.

Here are couple of videos that show how the app works:

http://www.phototransferapp.com/ipad.html

And the link to iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app/id365152940?mt=8

I hope you find it useful.
Awesome app.
Seems like one should be able to transfer text and other files this way, no?