Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
If I've bought an app from the app store already for my iPhone, will I be given the chance to download an iPad version (in 'HD' or 'XL') for free?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1) There are already threads on this: search

2) It's up to the developer. They are going to have to put some effort into this, in some cases basically re-write the app from scratch. As far as I am concerned you should expect to pay to upgrade and be pleasantly surprised with any free upgrades.

jkimbro0316

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Central Florida
I've been wondering that for quite some time myself. I'm starting to believe we will not get them for free considering the major difference in pricing between the normal apps and the "HD" apps.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I don't think that we can realistically expect developers get their new development for free.

You will be able to run your iPhone apps on the iPad, but if you want the full/new iPad versions, I think it is fair to pay some fee for the extra effort from the guys.

That is not to say that some of the apps might be grossly overpriced (and they shouldn't be), especially at the beginning. Another thread on the main page featured some pictures, revealing that the iPad version of Flight Control would be five times as much as the iPhone app. That's too expensive. CroMag Rally is even worse.

jk000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Nice one for the comments guys. I agree, I'd be happy to pay a little for the extra development. But if the HD versions are just upscaled versions, will they need that much development? and if not, are you happy to pay for them?

5 times the price seems ridiculous, is this because the iPad is bigger and more sophisticated, giving it a more powerful console-like status meaning people will pay more, when compared to them spending 59p on a bit of a laugh on their phone?

dbknightx

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
Just wait...

I predict prices will drop like a rock within a month, as soon as the app store gets bombarded with many more apps. Current prices mirror what they were like when the AppStore first opened and you had few options.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Well, if you own Local LTD, you can be sure that I will do everything I can to make it free for people who already own it for iPhone. I'm working on it, and didn't want to rush release before I test it on my own iPad.

But a game, I can see a developer charging for two different versions.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Nice one for the comments guys. I agree, I'd be happy to pay a little for the extra development. But if the HD versions are just upscaled versions, will they need that much development? and if not, are you happy to pay for them?

5 times the price seems ridiculous, is this because the iPad is bigger and more sophisticated, giving it a more powerful console-like status meaning people will pay more, when compared to them spending 59p on a bit of a laugh on their phone?

You can ALREADY run your iPhone app that you paid for on your iPad. You press the scaling button and it will take it fullscreen.

The HD version most likely will not "just be a bigger" iPhone app. Aside from the better graphics, it will probably have different and more sophisticated game play. For example, in the case of Flight Control, it won't just be a scaled version. Scaling will mean it will have the same number of planes you get on the iPhone, which is dumb.

Just to let people know, most apps coming out for the iPad WILL not be universal. Nor will they be scaled iPhone versions. So expect prices to be closer to that on the Mac. Please stop complaining

oh, and here is a screenshot of delivery status for the iPad posted a day ago

d41sjk

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The correct answer is yes & no.

According to App Advice there are 3 categories of iPad apps:

1) Universal -- will work on the iPhone/touch but also will work at full rez on the iPad w/ enhanced features.

2) HD -- these will be iPad only apps.

3) Compatible -- these are iPhone/Touch apps that will upscale to the iPad but will not contain any extra features.

You clearly will have to re-purchase HD apps. Compatible apps will probably be a free update. Universal apps are a gray area. I can see developers charging and in-app upgrade fee for these. I guess we'll see next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.