PDA

View Full Version : I can not wait to use iWork on the iPad!

ThatsMeRight
Mar 27, 2010, 02:28 PM
I really can't wait to use iWork on the iPad. It really looks fun to me to do, on such a nice multitouchscreen.

Imagine it. Making a report on the iPad for school. You just type it in a really fun way on a multitouch device! Adding images? No problem, just tab!

Or what about a spreadsheet? You have to make a report with all sorts of data. It really looks fun to me. And what about keynote? Making presentations and it's all compatible with PowerPoint etc.

It really looks fun to me to do on the iPad! What about you?

Sky Blue
Mar 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
It'll be fun! and only take you 5 times as longer than a real computer!

nateharr
Mar 27, 2010, 02:39 PM

That's what I'm worried about.

Which is better 5 hours of "fun" work on the iPad, or 2 hours of sucky work on a computer?

ThatsMeRight
Mar 27, 2010, 02:47 PM
Why would it take 5 times longer? Is it the typing, or getting used to using your fingers? When you first touched a computer, you also had to get used to the mouse and the keyboard. After a few times you can do it as fast as on your computer, or even faster.

Capt T
Mar 27, 2010, 02:48 PM

So your experience has shown you this is the case?

to the OP: I am looking forward to checking it out as well.

MikhailT
Mar 27, 2010, 02:53 PM
I really can't wait to use iWork on the iPad. It really looks fun to me to do, on such a nice multitouchscreen.

Imagine it. Making a report on the iPad for school. You just type it in a really fun way on a multitouch device! Adding images? No problem, just tab!

Or what about a spreadsheet? You have to make a report with all sorts of data. It really looks fun to me. And what about keynote? Making presentations and it's all compatible with PowerPoint etc.

It really looks fun to me to do on the iPad! What about you?

There's two different situations of which I have two different opinions. As to creating content on iPad, it'll get old, really fast. It'll be much faster to get it over with on a large screen. The virtual keyboard isn't meant for long sessions. You'll need a bluetooth keyboard to make it more useful.

The problem is how does the file storage work? Is it synced up with iDisk or iWork (is it free forever? how big of storage)? What about people who doesn't have MobileMe subscription, is there any way to do wireless syncing? Without USB support, you'll have to constantly go back to your main computer to sync or email some of the files to the iPad. (imagine forgetting some files or you have the old version instead of new ones)

Without the answers to those questions, iPad really is limited.

Now, where I am excited about is using iPad as a "post-processing" device. I already have a draft with images dumped all over in any of the iWork file. I would use the iPad to fix them up, make the images aligned in the right place, read the draft and revise them over and over again. The virtual keyboard wouldn't be a problem here as revising is usually only done on short paragraph blocks instead of the whole stuff. No more printing stuff for drafts.

Maximillian
Mar 27, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm excited to GIVE presentations from the iPad. Build the keynote on my computer and then show it off via the iPad. No projector? No problem, just fire it up and hand the iPad to the client.

Looks like it could change small-group presentations for the better.

Night Spring
Mar 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm also looking forward to using the iWorks apps, especially Pages. I expect that I will still do most of my "serious" work on my desktop, but with the iPad, I could, for example, do a little light editing or rewriting during commercial breaks while watching TV. A lot depends on how fast I can type with the virtual keyboard. If I can type fast enough, I might even be able to get rid of my laptop, which would be the best case scenario. But even if I'm slower on the virtual keyboard, for example, yesterday I ended up with an hour to kill while waiting to meet up with a few friends for dinner. If I had an iPad I could have gotten *some* work done, even if I was pecking at the keyboard. So to sum up, I'm not counting on iWorks replacing my desktop MS Office, but the more work I can get done on the iPad, the better! ;)

G4R2
Mar 27, 2010, 03:39 PM
I think an iPad will have a number of advantages over a desktop or laptop in work situations which is why I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs. I think that a lot of this anticipation is rooted in the fact that a lot of iPhone users, myself included, use their devices as computers but are limited by the small size of the screen.

For instance, I am frequently out of the office and yet would benefit from having a mobile device to either access or input data. A laptop is too cumbersome to take with me everywhere and requires the user to place it on a flat surface or be in the seated position to use it.

From what I can tell, an iPad would be ideal for these situations. It is, unlike a laptop or desktop, an instant on device that quickly launches applications and can be used to enter data in the standing position. I especially see it useful for spreadsheet data entry, something that is extremely difficult on laptops due to the absence of a dedicated numeric keypad or having to toggle between numeric and keyboard mode. Additionally, a laptop isn't meant to be held in one hand and balanced in the other.

I can also envision carrying the iPad with me to meetings and editing presentations on the go in Keynote.

None of this means that I will somehow stop using my work computer and exclusively use the iPad. In fact, until the iPad is approved for use on our corporate network I don't think it will be able to fulfill its true potential. But in the meantime I do think it will make a significant contribution to the work that I do, and have benefits not unlike the original US Robotics Pilot.

conniewilson11
Mar 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
Why would it take 5 times longer? Is it the typing, or getting used to using your fingers? When you first touched a computer, you also had to get used to the mouse and the keyboard. After a few times you can do it as fast as on your computer, or even faster.

I agree two or three times and you are a master of it. :)

zipa
Mar 27, 2010, 05:32 PM
Why would it take 5 times longer? Is it the typing, or getting used to using your fingers?

No, it's human physiology.

Night Spring
Mar 27, 2010, 05:56 PM
No, it's human physiology.

Are you assuming one-fingered pecking? I'm thinking that I could use three or possibly four fingers of one hand to hit the keys while holding the iPad with the other hand.

zub3qin
Mar 27, 2010, 05:59 PM
Just played with Zoho Writer

It has all I need for word processing.
It is web based, so takes up no flash memory on my 16GB iPad.
Works with Safari, Mac and iPhone... and thus iPad.

imports any document file you throw at it.

Interface is easy- just like MS word but not as busy.

IT IS FREE!

So for those wanting a free lightweight word processor...... this may be it.
CON- you need wifi to work with it.

zipa
Mar 27, 2010, 06:01 PM
Are you assuming one-fingered pecking? I'm thinking that I could use three or possibly four fingers of one hand to hit the keys while holding the iPad with the other hand.

And I'm using - not just thinking about it - 10 fingers to type this post. Something that you can't do with a tablet.

ThatsMeRight
Mar 27, 2010, 06:13 PM
And I'm using - not just thinking about it - 10 fingers to type this post. Something that you can't do with a tablet.
But you aren't going to hold the iPad all the time. You will, assumably, put it on your legs or put in the case and lay it down.

And next to that, you can use real - physical - keyboards with the iPad.

Night Spring
Mar 27, 2010, 06:23 PM

It's actually more like nine, since the two thumbs both perform the same function (hit space key). If we just go by the number of fingers involved, typing on the iPad one-handed should be about a third the speed of typing with both hands, not one-fifth. Of course, actual speed will vary. I'm looking forward to timing myself on the iPad and comparing to my speed on a regular keyboard. ;)

shakenmartini
Mar 27, 2010, 06:30 PM
I'm excited to GIVE presentations from the iPad. Build the keynote on my computer and then show it off via the iPad. No projector? No problem, just fire it up and hand the iPad to the client.

I agree, the pointer on the iPad Keynote version will be exceptional.

I never thought of small group or 1-on-1 presentations, excellent idea!

Tom G.
Mar 27, 2010, 06:57 PM
It has not really come up in this post, but one of the arguments against the on screen keyboard is "Lack of tactile feel." I always laugh at this because for years various companies have worked at getting rid of our beloved keyboards. Some have developed roll out keyboards which are like a roll of plastic that you lay on the desk in front of the monitor. One that was really cool is a laser light layout of a keyboard in front of a monitor and when you hit the right projected "key" the computer responds. None of these have anymore "tactile feel" than the keyboard on the iPad or iPhone, yet everyone seems to think they will rid us of our dependency on our physical keyboard.

Maximillian
Mar 27, 2010, 07:04 PM
I agree, the pointer on the iPad Keynote version will be exceptional.

I never thought of small group or 1-on-1 presentations, excellent idea!

Think "Sales Call" and you'll really see that this could be a game changer.

ThatsMeRight
Mar 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
It has not really come up in this post, but one of the arguments against the on screen keyboard is "Lack of tactile feel." I always laugh at this because for years various companies have worked at getting rid of our beloved keyboards. Some have developed roll out keyboards which are like a roll of plastic that you lay on the desk in front of the monitor. One that was really cool is a laser light layout of a keyboard in front of a monitor and when you hit the right projected "key" the computer responds. None of these have anymore "tactile feel" than the keyboard on the iPad or iPhone, yet everyone seems to think they will rid us of our dependency on our physical keyboard.We don't think physical keyboards are less better. We just think a touchscreen keyboard works good enough.

Night Spring
Mar 27, 2010, 07:22 PM
We don't think physical keyboards are less better. We just think a touchscreen keyboard works good enough.

Heh. I'll go one up on that and say I do think physical keyboards are better. But yes, touchscreen keyboards work well enough in situations where portability is more important than ease of typing.

fox10078
Mar 27, 2010, 07:27 PM
I agree with OP, Looks cool.

To the Naysayers: You know this because you've actually used the iPad right? No you haven't? So your just talking out your ass with no real experience?

I'm not saying it'll be better but you really need to try it first before making assumptions, but alas that would be to much for haters.

maroontigre
Mar 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
OP: I'm with you. Looks very cool,

Rest: Agree re real keyboard, but I'm in 5hrs worth of meetings everyday in a field (medical research) in which folks don't come to meetings with their laptops. It's not exactly "cool" to whip out your MBA and start tapping away. One major advantage of the iPad keyboard is that I can keep notes in one place (come on EverNote) and not look like a freak.

Re Keynote -- I give presentations weekly to audiences ranging from 50 to 500. I'm a Keynote power user (usually via MBA) and I can't wait to whip out my iPad for the 1st time...

Young Turk
Mar 27, 2010, 09:09 PM

How are you going to connect the iPad to your iMac? There's no mini-display port. Am I missing something? With the optional VGA adpater you can connect the iPad to a projector but I see no way to connect the iPad to the Mac and use the iPad as a projector.

Young Turk

wingnut8
Mar 27, 2010, 09:15 PM
It has not really come up in this post, but one of the arguments against the on screen keyboard is "Lack of tactile feel." I always laugh at this because for years various companies have worked at getting rid of our beloved keyboards. Some have developed roll out keyboards which are like a roll of plastic that you lay on the desk in front of the monitor. One that was really cool is a laser light layout of a keyboard in front of a monitor and when you hit the right projected "key" the computer responds. None of these have anymore "tactile feel" than the keyboard on the iPad or iPhone, yet everyone seems to think they will rid us of our dependency on our physical keyboard.
I see what you're saying, but I myself don't really need the tactile feel on my iPhone. Once I have my thumbs set on the keys I can look away and continue to type.

GadgetX
Mar 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
How are you going to connect the iPad to your iMac? There's no mini-display port. Am I missing something? With the optional VGA adpater you can connect the iPad to a projector but I see no way to connect the iPad to the Mac and use the iPad as a projector.

Young Turk
You could just email the file to yourself and viola! your presentation is now on your iPad!

To the OP: I remain skeptical about how useful the iWork and all that will be on the iPad. I'm not ruling it out yet and will probably buy at least one of the three to mess around with. I guess we'll all know in a week!

shakenmartini
Mar 27, 2010, 09:47 PM
You could just email the file to yourself and viola! your presentation is now on your iPad!

To the OP: I remain skeptical about how useful the iWork and all that will be on the iPad. I'm not ruling it out yet and will probably buy at least one of the three to mess around with. I guess we'll all know in a week!

I thought Keynote on iPad would be poorly implemented until I saw the demo (I think Engadget or Gizmodo's video went through keynote extensively). Apple really hit it out of the park with Keynote for iPad. This for me is the killer app.

iWork will be useful. I use Documents to go on my iPhone to do light document editing on the go. The bigger iPad screen means my next mac will be a 27" iMac instead of a 17" MBP and I use the iPad for "on the go". I almost think something like Evernote would be a better solution for just raw writing. I just don't see a lot of people sitting down on an iPad and creating major documents. I could be wrong on this, but we'll see when I get to try iWork.

Numbers, Meh. As long as I can read a spreadsheet, I don't know that I will bother with Numbers.

It will be interesting to see what 3rd parties come up with for Keyboard docks. I think the Apple keyboard dock is poorly designed. It reeks of the poor design that went into the old PalmPilot folding keyboard docks from the late 1990's. I have a feeling a 3rd party will step in with a way to turn the iPad into a laptop with a clever case and keyboard. Time will tell though.

I did order the Apple folding case. Maybe propping the iPad up on a stand with their bluetooth keyboard will make significant document editing workable on the iPad.

ThatsMeRight
Mar 28, 2010, 05:33 AM
No, but just how you can do it. When you are on-the-go you can work on a document or presentation, and when you are at home or at some 'steady' place you just grab your (bluetooth/iPad dock) keyboard and start typing and stuff. And it's all compatible with Windows!

The advantage of the bluetooth keyboard is that you can type in both landscape and portrait mode. With the iPad keyboard dock you are stuck to portait mode (although you will charge your battery).

greygray
Mar 28, 2010, 06:32 AM

+1! Especially for class lectures! :)

One Love 1867
Mar 28, 2010, 06:51 AM
Will iWorks be able to save multiple documents onto the iPad itself?

I'm interested by Pages especially, but only as long as documents can actually be opened, edited and saved from the device itself. Not just one document either and not by having to sync it back to a Mac as soon as it's finished..

blackNBUK
Mar 28, 2010, 07:23 AM

I'm interested by Pages especially, but only as long as documents can actually be opened, edited and saved from the device itself. Not just one document either and not by having to sync it back to a Mac as soon as it's finished..

Yes, the keynote showed that you can pick between multiple documents arranged in a line like Safari's tabs. Hopefully they've got a plan for dealing with lots of files as a simple line of docs doesn't look like it will scale.

ThatsMeRight
Mar 28, 2010, 07:29 AM

You can just create a document on the iPad and save it. When you are done, you are done. I assume you can print documents via WiFi or bluetooth. It's fully compatible with Windows.

kultschar
Mar 28, 2010, 07:56 AM
Yes, the keynote showed that you can pick between multiple documents arranged in a line like Safari's tabs. Hopefully they've got a plan for dealing with lots of files as a simple line of docs doesn't look like it will scale.

Wow thats cool to know, now if there is some kind of sync or able to connect to other peoples drop boxes I will be ecstatic!!!

MikhailT
Mar 28, 2010, 10:32 AM
Wow thats cool to know, now if there is some kind of sync or able to connect to other peoples drop boxes I will be ecstatic!!!

It'll work with iWork.com, that's how it'll sync wirelessly if you want it to. I don't know the full extent of being able to use other's people iWork public folder.

damnyooneek
Mar 28, 2010, 11:43 AM

No it will save in its own format that will not be compatible with microsoft office. But it can open and edit microsoft office docs.

shelby77
Mar 28, 2010, 11:50 AM
We're interested in using the iPad and iWorks for keeping a travelogue when we're on trips. Until now, we've been keeping our notes in a notebook (the horror!). I'm not familar with iWorks at all - is there a template or something that would work well for keeping a travelogue here? Still trying to decide if we should get that bluetooth keyboard, but thought we'd read reviews when they come out. tia.

kultschar
Mar 28, 2010, 11:54 AM
We're interested in using the iPad and iWorks for keeping a travelogue when we're on trips. Until now, we've been keeping our notes in a notebook (the horror!). I'm not familar with iWorks at all - is there a template or something that would work well for keeping a travelogue here? Still trying to decide if we should get that bluetooth keyboard, but thought we'd read reviews when they come out. tia.

Been a while since I fired up iWorks as I use MS Office at work. If I remember rightly there are quite a lot of impressive templates so I think you will be more then fine!!!!

whatisthe
Mar 28, 2010, 12:00 PM

You might want to look into FileMaker Bento, it appears to have some templates that would work for keeping a travel log / the ability to insert pictures into your log.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/03/bento-ipad-launch-screenshots/

ThatsMeRight
Mar 28, 2010, 12:00 PM
No it will save in its own format that will not be compatible with microsoft office. But it can open and edit microsoft office docs.
You can also save it as a .doc. It's on the Apple website and Steve Jobs said to Walt Mosberg it was possible (on camera). Walt Mosberg asked it because his editors only know how to handle Microsoft Office files (.doc in this case).

ThatsMeRight
Mar 28, 2010, 12:08 PM
Shelby77, maybe it's interesting to watch the following two YouTube videos. The first one is about keynote (making presentations, like you do with PowerPoint and stuff) and the second one about Pages (making documents) and Numbers (making spreadsheets).

Keynote demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbwwlIPQPk

Pages and Numbers demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub0On0ixzc8

More info on keynote. (http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/keynote.html)
More info on pages. (http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/pages.html)
More info on numbers. (http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/numbers.html)

Keynote compatibility
Works well with others.
With Keynote on iPad, you can import Microsoft PowerPoint files and Keynote presentations. The presentations you create in Keynote on your iPad can be exported as Keynote files for Mac or PDF documents, so you can attach them to an email. You can also upload your presentation to iWork.com public beta. So anyone can see your slides, whether they use a Mac or a PC.

Pages compatibility
Works well with others.
You can easily share the documents you create in Pages in a few ways. Attach them to an email as Pages files for Mac, Microsoft Word files, or PDF documents. Or upload them to iWork.com public beta. And if someone emails you a Pages or Word document, you can easily import it into Pages for iPad ready to review or edit.

Numbers compatibility
Works well with others.
Numbers on iPad lets you open spreadsheets created using iWork or Microsoft Office. So if someone emails you a Numbers or Excel file, you can easily import it into Numbers for iPad. To share your work, export your spreadsheet as a Numbers file for Mac or PDF document, then email it to anyone. You can also upload it to iWork.com public beta so anyone on a Mac or PC can view your spreadsheet.

PCClone
Mar 28, 2010, 12:23 PM
I agree with OP, Looks cool.

To the Naysayers: You know this because you've actually used the iPad right? No you haven't? So your just talking out your ass with no real experience?

I'm not saying it'll be better but you really need to try it first before making assumptions, but alas that would be to much for haters.

Or the prosayers could be wrong since they have no actual iPad experience either. Sounds like a lot of ass talk on both sides. Can't wait until April so we have real user opinions, not conjecture.

damnyooneek
Mar 28, 2010, 02:53 PM
You can also save it as a .doc. It's on the Apple website and Steve Jobs said to Walt Mosberg it was possible (on camera). Walt Mosberg asked it because his editors only know how to handle Microsoft Office files (.doc in this case).

no you can't save it as a .doc file from the app.

zub3qin
Mar 28, 2010, 03:00 PM

If this is true, then Steve Jobs was caught in a very big lie on camera.
A lie to none other than the WSJ.

I don't think he would say you could save/export as a .doc file from iPad Pages unless it was true.

ThatsMeRight
Mar 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
You can. Walt Mosberg asked it because his editors can only handle .doc files. And Jobs responded like "Sure, you can just type the whole thing on the iPad".

I looked it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWQBUtYpwns
From about 1.30

Walt Mosberg asked if he could 'save it was a work document or anything' and Steve Jobs said 'Yes, you can'. Mosberg even asks for confirmation with "All from here?" whereas Steve Jobs again answered "Yes".

Maaz
Mar 28, 2010, 03:26 PM

Yeah you can

touchmonkey
Mar 28, 2010, 03:26 PM
Dragon.
Can't wait to talk to my iPad.

MikhailT
Mar 28, 2010, 04:12 PM

Why not? iWork for Mac and iWork.com exports to Office formats. If it can't export on the iPad itself, it doesn't matter since it can sync to iWork.com and you can download it as .doc there as well.

dukebound85
Mar 28, 2010, 04:16 PM
I see what you're saying, but I myself don't really need the tactile feel on my iPhone. Once I have my thumbs set on the keys I can look away and continue to type.

really? i mean really?

ThatsMeRight
Mar 28, 2010, 04:33 PM
really? i mean really?
I can do the same thing. You must just get used to it.

undrpsi
Mar 28, 2010, 06:23 PM
I have seen two posts that mentioned the iWork suite as being free..??!!??

I thought they were going to be $9.99 each (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers)...has that changed?

Maximillian
Mar 28, 2010, 07:43 PM
I have seen two posts that mentioned the iWork suite as being free..??!!??

I thought they were going to be $9.99 each (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers)...has that changed?

Do you have a source?

ckorhonen
Mar 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
Do you have a source?

http//apple.com/ipad/features/keynote.html outlines the pricing for iWork - each of the apps are priced at $9.99.

melman101
Mar 28, 2010, 07:47 PM
I'm definitely buying Pages. What I will use it for, I have no idea. LMFAO.

ThatsMeRight
Mar 29, 2010, 08:44 AM
I will be buying them all.

ThatsMeRight
Mar 29, 2010, 04:18 PM
Guided tours are posted on Apple's website. Now I know even more and it's really awesome. Sadly you can't go from Keynote to PowerPoint but you can go from PowerPoint to Keynote.

citi
Mar 29, 2010, 05:09 PM

use the export function, just like in pages on the mac

louden
Apr 4, 2010, 01:14 AM
I think pages works fine - but numbers - man that sucks on the iPad.

Does anyone have problems using a bluetooth keyboard and Numbers on the iPad?

ThatsMeRight
Apr 4, 2010, 09:25 AM
I think pages works fine - but numbers - man that sucks on the iPad.

Does anyone have problems using a bluetooth keyboard and Numbers on the iPad?
Why does it suck?

ThatsMeRight
Apr 14, 2010, 10:48 AM
bump

renewed
Apr 14, 2010, 11:41 AM
Went into Apple today to get my MacBook worked on (actually typing from my iPhone) and played around with Pages on the iPad. I'm definitely getting one. It was awesome. And to those naysayers, you can type on it just like a full keyboard with all 8 fingers and your thumbs. I see no reason why it would take 3x as long to do a document. In fact the auto correct allows you to type quicker without having to go back and fix words.