PDA

View Full Version : 30 inch display...

kjs862
Sep 10, 2004, 11:29 PM
I'm curious to know if you connect the 30" HD display that will be out soon to a HDTV box via DVI you can watch television on the display. I'm thinking you can, but wanted other feedback.

Thanks,

Ken

MisterMe
Sep 11, 2004, 07:39 AM
I'm curious to know if you connect the 30" HD display that will be out soon to a HDTV box via DVI you can watch television on the display. I'm thinking you can, but wanted other feedback.

Thanks,

KenYou need dual-link DVI for the 30" Cinema Display.

hotwire132002
Sep 11, 2004, 08:09 AM

Thanks,

Ken

My advice: hook it up to a G5, and use the HDTV model of the eyeTV to watch TV on it.

crazzyeddie
Sep 11, 2004, 09:53 AM
Also DVI on computers/TVs works a little differently. The cable box doesn't transmit some sort of synchronization signal to the display. So in short, I don't think this would work with ANY DVI display thats not designed specifically for it.

Laslo Panaflex
Sep 11, 2004, 10:41 AM

Thanks,

Ken

It won't work, sorry Ken. The Apple displays do not have built in scalers, meaning they have no way to intrepret and produce the correct ammount of video lines and without the aid of hardware, say your computers video card.

There are several other threads on this, but the one with the most debunked information can be found here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=79444

wdlove
Sep 11, 2004, 02:17 PM
My advice: hook it up to a G5, and use the HDTV model of the eyeTV to watch TV on it.

That is what makes sense to me. I have been interested in EyeTV myself. The problem with the latest Firewire version is that it won't work with Cable. In my mind the use of an antenna would mean a lower quality picture.

MisterMe
Sep 11, 2004, 08:26 PM
That is what makes sense to me. I have been interested in EyeTV myself. The problem with the latest Firewire version is that it won't work with Cable. In my mind the use of an antenna would mean a lower quality picture.You are thinking analog NTSC broadcasts. HDTV is digital. If you can receive an HDTV signal with your antenna, it is guarranteed to be excellent. It you get HDTV via cable or satellite, it is also guarranteed to be excellent. If you receive NTSC via antenna its quality depends on the location of the transmission tower and your antenna. If you receive a local NTSC signal via cable, its quality depends on the location of the transmission tower, your cable provider's receiving antenna, and the quality of the cable between your provider's head-in and your home. If you receive your TV via satellite, it is guarranteed to be good if it's not raining in which case you may get nothing.

There are two sources of bad signals received via your antenna. One is distance from the transmitter which results in a weak signal. This manifests as "snow" in your picture. The second is multipath reflections which result in "ghosts." As I stated above, HDTV transmissions are digital. Your will never see snow in your picture. So long as your signal strength is above a certain threshold, your picture will be beautiful. Below that threshold, you see nothing. As for ghosts, reflected signals are substantially weaker than primary signals. Your HDTV receiver will display only the primary signal. You will never see ghosts.