PDA

View Full Version : Best way to stream to TV with this setup?

shinji
Mar 27, 2010, 10:57 PM
I have:

-mac pro which is always on
-linksys router capable of 802.11n
-ps3
-tv only capable of 720p
-gigs of non-DRM movies and music that weren't purchased from iTunes

The mac is connected through wired ethernet to the router. The PS3 is using its own built-in 802.11g wifi to connect to the router. It's about 50 feet or so from the router to the tv area so I could just buy ethernet cable if necessary to do what I want.

All I want to do is watch movies and listen to music on my TV.

Should I:

1) Get a NAS of some sort that supports DLNA and works with the PS3? Keep in mind PS3 is only capable of 802.11g so I don't know how wifi streaming will work out? I might have to run the ethernet cable or get an 802.11n bridge (or "gaming adapter") and plug the PS3 in to that.
2) Get an Apple TV and just make a quicktime container for each file to avoid having to re-encode, like what VideoDrive and iFlicks do? Will that work for streaming? I don't want to have to sync every time I want to watch a different movie.
3) Get the $200 Acer AspireRevo and run XMBC?

Or any other suggestions I'm open to.

GermanSuplex
Mar 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
If you have mkv files, there are free programs that allow you to mux to mpg without converting... most of these will play on the PS3. If you have other files, see if the PS3 can play them. It may be as simple as downloading a server program for the PS3. If it can play the files without the need of your mac transcoding on the fly, then your wireless setup should be fine.

For me though, I just broke down and did away with my old Divx movies and such and started transcoding all of my DVD's and Blu-Rays to iTunes/Apple TV-compliant h.264 video. It's just easier. My PS3 was fine for the occasional free video, but it got tedious after awhile.

shinji
Mar 27, 2010, 11:09 PM
I have some mkv, but the library is mostly divx..I'm not completely opposed to re-encoding but VideoDrive says this:

"Sync and stream videos to AppleTV, even without reconverting them. Convert videos for optimal playback on iPod and iPhone."

http://www.aroona.net/VideoDrive/Home.html

How could that be possible?

Edit: or this merely transcodes them on the fly?

Second edit: lame, in their support page, it says it's referring to an apple tv where you've modded it and installed new codecs.

So basically this is not a solution to anything, unless I buy an apple tv and mod it.

GermanSuplex
Mar 28, 2010, 01:35 AM
It may be a simple flash solution... with other programs, you don't have to do any physical modding, there are programs that allow you to load files on a usb flash stick and then plug it into the Apple TV to install programs on it. I've done it a few times with no issues, but I resort back to the original software because I don't have enough use for it. Not sure about this one though.

The PS3 plays divx files natively, doesn't it? Surely there are numerous streaming solutions for Mac to allow you to stream those files to PS3... I don't think you'll have any trouble streaming.

I really don't suggest the Apple TV unless you are serious about using iTunes and h.264 video. If you like downloading videos from across the web and have several different file types, I suggest sticking to the PS3.

shinji
Mar 28, 2010, 01:49 AM
Nah I actually don't like using iTunes to manage video.

I guess you're right that the PS3 is the best bet. I tried Medialink and it seems to work well so far.

I'll look into ways of muxing the mkv's that I do have. Only annoying thing about PS3 is it doesn't do DVD menus on VIDEO_TS folders, but whatever. $20 app beats spending however much on an HTPC when I already have the PS3.

MrMister111
Mar 28, 2010, 07:53 AM
I have a PS3 and an Apple TV, and a lot of mixed movie types, DivX, Xvid. Avi, H264 etc. I loved the look and ease of use of the Apple TV, wife can use to.

I couldn't be bothered although I wish I had time and patience to, recode to all Apple format using HandBrake as it then is easy to use, plays on iPhone also, and using Universal preset plays on PS3 to.

However I bought NAS and ATV Flash for Apple TV which basically flashes the Apple TV to install other codecs DivX etc to play natively on Apple TV, and also allows direct access to a NAS so no iTunes on a Mac or PC need to be running. There is free patch sticks, but this a real easy way to do it for a low cost. It also keeps the same Apple TV interface and just adds menu items, eg XBMC for playing DivX etc

My Apple TV is wireless to my NAS via 'N' router, and PS3 is wired to the router.

So I now have a NAS with all my DivX on, and can access wirelessly from my Apple TV to play (upstairs), or my PS3 downstairs.

I admit i'd prefer all my movies in Apple flavour but then I'd have to have iTunes running on computer and no direct access for all my movies stored on my NAS as my Mac drive is not big enough.

I'm interested in this mux? Thing though to not have to recode everything

hope this helps
cheers

TheDrift-
Mar 28, 2010, 08:09 AM
I have a NAS and two PS3's one wired one wireless.

Nas gives loads of storage so no need worry about converting just rip and rename. Takes about 5 min to rip a dvd.

Wired PS3 works seemlessly skip forward back no probs.

Wirless PS3 may need to buffer for 30 secs or so, no so good and jumping backwards and forwards on movies.

shinji
Mar 28, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have a PS3 and an Apple TV, and a lot of mixed movie types, DivX, Xvid. Avi, H264 etc. I loved the look and ease of use of the Apple TV, wife can use to.

I couldn't be bothered although I wish I had time and patience to, recode to all Apple format using HandBrake as it then is easy to use, plays on iPhone also, and using Universal preset plays on PS3 to.

However I bought NAS and ATV Flash for Apple TV which basically flashes the Apple TV to install other codecs DivX etc to play natively on Apple TV, and also allows direct access to a NAS so no iTunes on a Mac or PC need to be running. There is free patch sticks, but this a real easy way to do it for a low cost. It also keeps the same Apple TV interface and just adds menu items, eg XBMC for playing DivX etc

My Apple TV is wireless to my NAS via 'N' router, and PS3 is wired to the router.

So I now have a NAS with all my DivX on, and can access wirelessly from my Apple TV to play (upstairs), or my PS3 downstairs.

I admit i'd prefer all my movies in Apple flavour but then I'd have to have iTunes running on computer and no direct access for all my movies stored on my NAS as my Mac drive is not big enough.

I'm interested in this mux? Thing though to not have to recode everything

hope this helps
cheers

What NAS do you have? I was looking at QNAP and Buffalo Linkstation earlier.

Regarding mux, I did it last night on an mkv. Get a program called MKVTools and click convert to mp4, but choose 'pass through' for video so it does not re-encode the video. For audio, you will still have to re-encode the audio unless you have a DTS sound system. Doing 'pass through' for audio resulted in the PS3 not playing the file. Might work on Apple TV, I don't know.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmhome.html

On Windows, there is mkv2vob which does the same thing and you still have to re-encode the audio.

It's far quicker though without needing to re-encode any video and it works great.

MrMister111
Mar 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
I got a Buffalo Linkstation Live 1TB. PS3 recognises it as a DNLA server fine and can see all my stuff no problems.

I don't have any mkv's only DivX,Xvid though. I think HandBrake is great as the Universal preset allows PS3, Apple TV, iPhone,Mac etc so is good but the movies I really need at the moment I convert otherwise the Apple TV with ATV Flash works fine. PS3 plays most anyway

shinji
Mar 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
Ah ok...this only works on mkv as far as I know since they're commonly in h264 to begin with.

So you like the Linkstation? Maybe I should look into that.

MrMister111
Mar 28, 2010, 02:36 PM
The linkstation been no problem so far, a lot smaller than I thougt but as it's on all the time it was a little noisy with the fans but mne is upstairs in my loft out the way, but if it's in your living room for example beside your TV, might be a bit noisy.

I checked first that it was compatible with PS3, it is as it's a DNLA and with Apple TV with ATV Flash works fine

shinji
Mar 28, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hmm...without any transcoding:

Wired ethernet connection from PS3 to router (after temporarily moving it) works perfectly with PS3mediaserver, twonky, and rivet even with HD content. Medialink sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Wireless only seems to work on standard def content. Completely stutters and/or fails with 1080p mp4, and same thing happens with 720p mp4 except it lasts the longest with ps3mediaserver.

I have a perfect signal strength but keep in mind the PS3's built-in wifi is only 802.11g.

With that in mind, am I better off:

1) Connecting the ps3 to an 802.11n 'gaming adapter' ...would that solve this? Since the PS3 would be using ethernet to connect to the adapter and then the adapter would be 802.11n thus making it faster.
2) Run wired ethernet from the PS3 to the router and then use one of these media server apps?

Can 802.11n handle 720p/1080p itself? My tv can only do 720p but sometimes the source material will be encoded for 1080p.

I'd rather not run the ethernet cable, it's kind of a pain but whatever.

ajk816
Mar 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
No question wired is the optimal solution from a speed perspective.

MrMister111
Mar 29, 2010, 02:42 AM
I decidedto cut out the middle man, ie the PC/Mac with a server on it. PS3 media server seemed to work fine and iTunes but I decided to for a NAS for direct connection to PS3 and Apple TV (with ATV Flash).

If my PS3 wasn't wired I woul probably if wireless was no good buy some powerplug Ethernet adapters, any speed of these will be better than wireless I think and more releiable for streaming.

shinji
Mar 29, 2010, 03:08 AM
I decidedto cut out the middle man, ie the PC/Mac with a server on it. PS3 media server seemed to work fine and iTunes but I decided to for a NAS for direct connection to PS3 and Apple TV (with ATV Flash).

If my PS3 wasn't wired I woul probably if wireless was no good buy some powerplug Ethernet adapters, any speed of these will be better than wireless I think and more releiable for streaming.

You don't have any problems writing to and reading from the NAS through snow leopard? The buffalo forum (as well as the seagate and western digital forum) has some complaints about it not mounting correctly and stuff like that. I just don't know how much of this is user error and how much is an issue with the product.

The My Book World Edition II and BlackArmor 110 NAS both apparently have issues with getting mounted in finder...one guy had to use nfs on the command line.

Seems AFP support is sporadic but SMB works best, as a general rule for these consumer NAS on Snow Leopard.

TheDrift-
Mar 29, 2010, 03:24 AM
No question wired is the optimal solution from a speed perspective.

If you play your PS3 online will reduce Lag too!

MrMister111
Mar 29, 2010, 12:44 PM
You don't have any problems writing to and reading from the NAS through snow leopard? The buffalo forum (as well as the seagate and western digital forum) has some complaints about it not mounting correctly and stuff like that. I just don't know how much of this is user error and how much is an issue with the product.

The My Book World Edition II and BlackArmor 110 NAS both apparently have issues with getting mounted in finder...one guy had to use nfs on the command line.

Seems AFP support is sporadic but SMB works best, as a general rule for these consumer NAS on Snow Leopard.
I have Snow Leopard, seems to work fine for me, I have a few folders, some with no restrictions some with where I have to type in username and password, and I can connect fine and read/write.

shinji
Mar 30, 2010, 02:49 AM
I have Snow Leopard, seems to work fine for me, I have a few folders, some with no restrictions some with where I have to type in username and password, and I can connect fine and read/write.

And also no problems streaming HD with jerkiness and so on? Like the Linkstation Live itself never becomes the limiting factor, right?

MrMister111
Mar 31, 2010, 07:24 AM
Haven't tried HD yet, don't think any movies I have are HD sorry. If I do try and no good then I will just buy some powerplug etherent if wireless isno good

v3nustas
Jun 23, 2010, 07:32 PM
ok, I'm sure this has been covered but to avoid google for an hour, ill just ask.

I am using handbrake/vlc on my iMac. I have a WD 1TB xternal HDD that I'm moving my personal movies to (in mp4 format from handbrake).

What is the easiest way to play them on my TV in the other room?

I am completely noob as to how AppleTV actually works, but am willing to get one if it'll perform with the formats I have. I know this is a wide-open question, but I'm hoping somebody had the same issue and can just point me in the right direction! Thank you!!