Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I hadn't enabled BTMM up until a day or so ago, but I have now, and it's working so far so good except for a few glitches that might require some help here.

Anyway, my confusion is, since up until now I just shared my macs over the home network, what happens now that BTMM is enabled, when I am on the home network does it make use of that for screen sharing or file transfers, or by virtue of it being enabled (BTMM) it uses the internet instead for file and screen sharing?

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
I hadn't enabled BTMM up until a day or so ago, but I have now, and it's working so far so good except for a few glitches that might require some help here.

Anyway, my confusion is, since up until now I just shared my macs over the home network, what happens now that BTMM is enabled, when I am on the home network does it make use of that for screen sharing or file transfers, or by virtue of it being enabled (BTMM) it uses the internet instead for file and screen sharing?

BTMM works on your home network when you are at home. With the proper routers/settings it will also work outside of your home network say from work to home or from home to family (for support/sharing). I use screen and file sharing on 18 Macs every day in and out of my local network and BTMM works well for me. It make things easy for my family and employees once (I) set things up properly.

I have found that it pays (in configuration time and consistency) to buy apple gear (airport extreme and/or time capsule). Airport utility is used for setting up Airport extremes' and it is very easy to use.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Very good point about consistency, I have been thinking the same too.

Glad it works well for you, I 've just set it up and it seems great to use, thanks for clearing that up for me, ie that when at home it uses (as is suppose to) the home network.

I have not set up user name for access just but "everybody" in both machines and have a very strong master pass in mobile me, I hope this does not hurt my case.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Very good point about consistency, I have been thinking the same too.

Glad it works well for you, I 've just set it up and it seems great to use, thanks for clearing that up for me, ie that when at home it uses (as is suppose to) the home network.

I have not set up user name for access just but "everybody" in both machines and have a very strong master pass in mobile me, I hope this does not hurt my case.

I setup specific users and/or administrators for BTMM file and screen sharing. Just don't like the idea of the "everyone" setting (by default) being used... I guess they just want it to work out of the box... You can also customize specific folders for specific users if you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.