PDA

View Full Version : LATEST 20in iMAC USING AS PC SCREEN

tan
Sep 11, 2004, 10:36 AM
Does anybody have any idiea how the latest 20in iMAC can be addapted
so the screen can have a dual purpose where by the screen can be used as a pc screen, by connecting it to the DVI output of the graphic card of the pc

I think you would have to open up the imac to find the connective wireing between the imac graphic card and its screen ; rewire this to a multi switch witch can be mounted on the back side of the iMAC and also mount a DVI in put plug on the back of iMAC.

The switch can be used to switch between the iMAC graphic card and the dvi input from the pc graphic card .

I know there will be a fair amount of complex wireing and some holes in the back or the side of my new iMAC
Can this be done ? can anyone do it? and if so can anyone make any suggestions how it can be done ?

edesignuk
Sep 11, 2004, 10:54 AM
Can this be done ? can anyone do it? and if so can anyone make any suggestions?
http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/macros/dont.gif

This is a bad idea, you don't buy a brand new all-in-one only to start pulling it apart and start drilling holes. Buy a 20" ACD if you want a screen.

AdamR01
Sep 11, 2004, 11:24 AM
This is a bad idea, you don't buy a brand new all-in-one only to start pulling it apart and start drilling holes. Buy a 20" ACD if you want a screen.

He didnt ask if it was a bad idea (anyone knows that it is) but if it could be done. Its one less thing you'd need on your desk and it would be kinda cool.

PeterBonnar
Sep 11, 2004, 01:06 PM

My god thats the fuuniest thing i've seen in ages. I've had a really bad day, (been installing a pc so i could play doom3) that really cheered me up. Think i'm going to have to go out now and get black books on dvd now! :o

SpaceMagic
Sep 11, 2004, 01:28 PM
Quite an interesting idea... but no way would I do this :p Apart from warranty, you'll also end up making your iMac look ugly. And... how would you switch between inputs without getting electricuted :p

stoid
Sep 11, 2004, 01:31 PM
You could maybe rig something up with a KVM switch, but if you're willing to mess around like that inside one of those babies, you've got more balls than anyone I know.

At least it's not a CRT, so the possibility of electrocuting yourself is almost zero.

gekko513
Sep 11, 2004, 01:55 PM
Of course it's possible. It's a regular LCD panel in there. I don't, however think it's possible to do without at least two of the following: destroying the Mac functionality of the iMac, drilling holes in the iMac, building a home made connector for the LCD panel, building a custom logic chip for the panel or setting the whole thing on fire.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the picture (funniest reply ever!)

Elan0204
Sep 11, 2004, 01:59 PM
While it would be great to be able to hook up another computer to the iMac screen, I don't think it is possible. And, if it is, it probably isn't worth what it would do to the functionality of your iMac.

I've never heard of anyone doing this with their iMac G4, so I suspect the same will be true of the imac G5. It is too bad though, because it would be really nice to be able to use the screen for other things.

stoid
Sep 11, 2004, 02:04 PM
It would seem that if you could do that though, it would be just as 'easy' to upgrade the video card in the iMac to something a bit more impressive than the standard 5200.

zelmo
Sep 11, 2004, 02:07 PM
It would seem that if you could do that though, it would be just as 'easy' to upgrade the video card in the iMac to something a bit more impressive than the standard 5200.

MORE impressive than the 5200??? Doesn't Apple always use SOTA parts? :D

Rod Rod
Sep 11, 2004, 03:24 PM
it would be much easier to buy 2GB of RAM and Virtual PC 7 w. XP Pro. even though VPC only uses 512MB of RAM... who knows, they might raise the ceiling with 7.1.

mklos
Sep 11, 2004, 03:45 PM
Why not just go to www.mactopia.com (The Mac part of Microsoft's website), and then under the other downloads section download Remote Desktop. This will allow you to take COMPLETE control of your PC right on your Mac, including pushing the sound through your Mac speakers. Works really well. You just have to have the 2 computers connected either with a crossover cable, 2 ethernet cables and a hub (like me!), or wirelessly. Then on the PC side turn on Remote Desktop and give yourself rights to access your PC from another computer and you should be all set.

Just launch the Remote Desktop program on your Mac and type in the the IP address of the PC then under the other tabs select the options you want and click connect and it should go right through. Its fairly easy to setup and best of all, its FREE!!!! No screwing around inside your Mac either! I use this all the time and it works great!

stoid
Sep 11, 2004, 03:49 PM
Why not just go to www.mactopia.com (The Mac part of Microsoft's website), and then under the other downloads section download Remote Desktop. This will allow you to take COMPLETE control of your PC right on your Mac, including pushing the sound through your Mac speakers. Works really well. You just have to have the 2 computers connected either with a crossover cable, 2 ethernet cables and a hub (like me!), or wirelessly. Then on the PC side turn on Remote Desktop and give yourself rights to access your PC from another computer and you should be all set.

Just launch the Remote Desktop program on your Mac and type in the the IP address of the PC then under the other tabs select the options you want and click connect and it should go right through. Its fairly easy to setup and best of all, its FREE!!!! No screwing around inside your Mac either! I use this all the time and it works great!

We use this method for getting onto the campus server remotely, though I don't think it will work for gaming. Honestly, if you have a Mac, do you really do anything on the PC but game (maybe a few other minority apps)?

rufwork
Sep 11, 2004, 04:18 PM

This is a bad idea *today*, but I've got a 17" G4 iMac that'll be obsolete as a Mac in another 2-4 years, but would (foxing at the corners excepted) be an awfully nice monitor for another box (like a Powermac or other headless box) for many years afterwards.

I saw a site in Japanese once that had a G4 iMac disassembly, but can never Google it back up when I want to. In the G4's case, iirc, the monitor had a pretty strong cord with four wires in it. I would imagine it wouldn't take more than someone with some real know-how a few hours to figure out what was going on and figure out if another input would work or not.

If you factor in having a reusable flat-screen monitor on a swivel stand, the iMacs become very attractively priced indeed.

Dr. Dastardly
Sep 11, 2004, 06:54 PM
I would be interested in this in making a G4 iMac into a windows machine. Strip the guts out and build a small pc in the dome. If I have to use a PC for work I would rather have it look like a Mac and change the gui to at least look like OSX. :D

OnceUGoMac
Sep 11, 2004, 07:26 PM

What show is that from?

homerjward
Sep 11, 2004, 07:53 PM
I would be interested in this in making a G4 iMac into a windows machine. Strip the guts out and build a small pc in the dome. If I have to use a PC for work I would rather have it look like a Mac and change the gui to at least look like OSX. :D
ive had bad experiences with those os-enhancements. they make the system run like crap and are full of spyware even if you get the registered, pay-for-it versoins

Spock
Sep 11, 2004, 08:21 PM

You people need help.

Mechcozmo
Sep 11, 2004, 10:42 PM
AFAIK, the monitor is hardwired onto the video out.

JeffTL
Sep 12, 2004, 12:02 AM
AFAIK, the monitor is hardwired onto the video out.

Assuming the pinout could be determined, the hardwire could be cut and spliced into something, I guess. I don't know if it's a standard video thing, i.e. VGA or DVI. If it is then it'd be a simple issue of determining the pinout and splicing it onto the right connector.

The screen is probably like a 17" PowerBook screen; indeed, it's probably exactly like a 17" PB screen -- does anyone know how laptop screens communicate with the computer? Do they use VGA?

Mechcozmo
Sep 12, 2004, 02:19 PM
They don't use VGA, because that is analog and would degrade the signal. I'd guess that it would be something like DVI. I'm saying this because ADC dosn't make sense in a laptop, and my PowerBook has mini-DVI out, which could be easily achived with a DVI adapter. The long and the short of it is, yes you could get a pin out of the cable and go through all of that, but that still would be pretty tough to do. Isn't the video card, on the G4 iMacs, built onto the mother board? I thought I saw that on some picture somewhere....

Krizoitz
Sep 12, 2004, 04:23 PM
We use this method for getting onto the campus server remotely, though I don't think it will work for gaming. Honestly, if you have a Mac, do you really do anything on the PC but game (maybe a few other minority apps)?
That would be interesting...the PC would be doing all the actually graphics proccesing for the game? or would the Mac? If the mac is just recieving the output signal then it should be fine. Curious. If you use Giga-bit ethernet, is that enough bandwidth? Can you use firewire to do the remote access and would that be enough bandwidth? Anyone who have a PC want to experiment?

sgarringer
Sep 12, 2004, 06:08 PM
That would be interesting...the PC would be doing all the actually graphics proccesing for the game? or would the Mac? If the mac is just recieving the output signal then it should be fine. Curious. If you use Giga-bit ethernet, is that enough bandwidth? Can you use firewire to do the remote access and would that be enough bandwidth? Anyone who have a PC want to experiment?

it dont matter how fast of a connection you have, DirectX isnt displated through Remote Desktop Connection, so this is not a technical feesability.

Might (and I say might as a huge MIGHT) be able to run games through WineX on a i386 machine with Linux and use the x11 interface in OS X to display the OpenGL'ed output, I'm not too familar with the inner workings of WineX to know if this would work or not (and it certinaly wouldnt let you play new games, as they all but dont work on WineX (Project Codega))

Krizoitz
Sep 12, 2004, 10:53 PM
it dont matter how fast of a connection you have, DirectX isnt displated through Remote Desktop Connection, so this is not a technical feesability.

Might (and I say might as a huge MIGHT) be able to run games through WineX on a i386 machine with Linux and use the x11 interface in OS X to display the OpenGL'ed output, I'm not too familar with the inner workings of WineX to know if this would work or not (and it certinaly wouldnt let you play new games, as they all but dont work on WineX (Project Codega))

Where did you find the information on what RDC displays?

AdamR01
Sep 14, 2004, 07:43 PM
Where did you find the information on what RDC displays?

Open a RDC and try to run a DirectX program :D .

Sun Baked
Sep 14, 2004, 07:52 PM
I wonder if I can use the latest Alienware machine as a combination of external HD case, and foot warmer... :o

Krizoitz
Sep 14, 2004, 10:07 PM

As I do not possess a PC that will be rather difficult don't you think?

AdamR01
Sep 15, 2004, 09:54 AM
As I do not possess a PC that will be rather difficult don't you think?

That is very true. That made me start to think about the number of people that have no passwords on their administrative accounts, and the fact that all you need to do to enable Remote Desktop is check one box. Although, I'm pretty sure it will not allow accounts with blank passwords to login. Otherwise you could just find an XP Pro machine with Remote Desktop enabled and give 'er a try (and hope you don't go to jail).

Xtremehkr
Sep 15, 2004, 10:29 AM
This is the worst idea I've ever heard of. With the exception of John Snow, you take the cake.

caveman_uk
Sep 15, 2004, 10:36 AM
What show is that from?
Looks like 'Black Books' - it's a British TV show

tan
Sep 15, 2004, 10:52 AM

back this :

so the screen can have a dual purpose where by the screen can be used as a pc screen, by connecting it to the DVI output of the graphic card of the pc

I think you would have to open up the imac to find the connective wireing between the imac graphic card and its screen ; rewire this to a multi switch witch can be mounted on the back side of the iMAC and also mount a DVI in put plug on the back of iMAC.

The switch can be used to switch between the iMAC graphic card and the dvi input from the pc graphic card .

I know there will be a fair amount of complex wireing and some holes in the back or the side of my new iMAC
Can this be done ? can anyone do it? and if so can anyone make any suggestions how it can be done ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by tan : 09-13-2004 at 08:42 PM. Reason: to make it more obvious

DVW86
Sep 15, 2004, 11:11 AM

Here is another vote for RDC. I use it just about every day. While I would not recommend it for gaming it works fine for day to day activities such as email, Office, and web browsing. I plan on getting a new iMac and doing just that with it. My PC is a 10" Acer Tablet and the screen is just too small for prolonged use. I also design all my web sites on my Mac but then use RDC to view them in IE to check for compatibility. The Acer is perfect for that type of use. It doesn't take up too much room in the office and I can use it on my Macs screen.

kgarner
Sep 15, 2004, 11:34 AM
RDC is great for simple stuff, but it cannot run anything graphical. I use a PC to run AutoCAD and my G4 for everything else. I use a KVM to control them both. I think the idea of an iMac that can be a monitor to another computer would be awesome. I am going to buy an iMac G5 but I still can't figure out how i am going to run AutoCAD. It would be nice if I could use the iMac as the monitor so I wouldn't need to buy a more expensive PowerMac that I don't need and a monitor.

DVW86
Sep 15, 2004, 11:45 AM
RDC is great for simple stuff, but it cannot run anything graphical. I use a PC to run AutoCAD and my G4 for everything else. I use a KVM to control them both. I think the idea of an iMac that can be a monitor to another computer would be awesome. I am going to buy an iMac G5 but I still can't figure out how i am going to run AutoCAD. It would be nice if I could use the iMac as the monitor so I wouldn't need to buy a more expensive PowerMac that I don't need and a monitor.

Yes, Auto Cad is the "missing link" in total PC business/office compatibility. I'd love to see a Mac version or an emulator that lets you run it with no performance loss.

kgarner
Sep 15, 2004, 11:55 AM
Yes, Auto Cad is the "missing link" in total PC business/office compatibility. I'd love to see a Mac version or an emulator that lets you run it with no performance loss.
I am about ready to give PowerCADD (http://www.engsw.com/) a try. I looks to be really full featured and even has quite a few features I haven't seen in AutoCAD. Those features are probably not very useful to architects and such, but would be great for me as I do patent illustration in AutoCAD.

stevehaslip
Sep 15, 2004, 12:58 PM
What show is that from?

I think someone mentioned it in an earlier post but incase you didn't see that its from a british comedy called "Black Books" its very VERY funny. There have been 2 series or seasons as you say in the US. I personally think that the first series is the best by a long way, the second series ventured too far from the shop which was where all the best stuff happened. Still good, just not as good as the first series, if you are interested you can buy it off amazon's uk site, they'll import it to you. I don't think its actually available in the US.

AdamR01
Sep 15, 2004, 01:47 PM
Remote desktop works well if you're just logging in to use your PC for a few quick things, but any longterm use will make you want to cry. I used it to burn a CD from ACID Pro 4.0 once because all i had the computer hooked up to was the network, but dont even try to edit a song.

kgarner
Sep 15, 2004, 02:03 PM
The thing that bothers me about RDC is that it can't scale the responsiveness in accordance with the network speed. I get the same performance on a 100 Mbps network as I do on a Firewire (400 Mbps) network. If they could scale it better (or at all) a nice gigabit network would be almost like using the PC directly.

superbovine
Sep 15, 2004, 03:10 PM

If you have ask, you shouldn't do it.

nfocus design
Sep 15, 2004, 03:28 PM
Why in the world would you want to do that to a brand new iMac? :(

I love me Mac far too much to do somthing like that. :)

Krizoitz
Sep 15, 2004, 10:51 PM
OK, so alot of people have said they don't THINK that RDC can be used to run games but has anyone actually tried it or come across evidence that it can't be done/will be really slow?

AdamR01
Sep 15, 2004, 11:01 PM
OK, so alot of people have said they don't THINK that RDC can be used to run games but has anyone actually tried it or come across evidence that it can't be done/will be really slow?

Yes I have tried it. If you run a DirectX program it tells you DirectX cannot be used over RDC. If you dont beleive me I'll take a screenshot. Performance is fine for small basic tasks, but if you wanna use a substantial application it is painfully slow.

Krizoitz
Sep 17, 2004, 05:51 AM
Yes I have tried it. If you run a DirectX program it tells you DirectX cannot be used over RDC. If you dont beleive me I'll take a screenshot. Performance is fine for small basic tasks, but if you wanna use a substantial application it is painfully slow.

Why wouldn't I believe you? Up to this point a few people had said they don't THINK it would work but no one had actually said whether they tried it or not.

melchior
Sep 17, 2004, 07:25 AM
Why wouldn't I believe you? Up to this point a few people had said they don't THINK it would work but no one had actually said whether they tried it or not.

yes they did. they said you cannot use directx over rdc. end of discussion.

back to the much more interesting and fun topic at hand... If I wanted to play games or use graphic intensive windows-ware, then I would think of this as a serious option. In fact, in 5 years time, if I have not hacked my new, 20in iMac to death, I probably will.

I like to fiddle with things. Overlclock them, replace parts, maybe mod the frame, etc... I am yet to see clear photos of the iMacs video layout or pll tables. I reckon I can get my iMac going 2.0ghz no sweat. =)

mac users are so afraid of modifying their computers. it's weird. they think it's sacreligious to open their cases or something. every man and woman can be an engineer! what's the point of having a computer that 'just works' if you don't know *HOW* it works?

rufwork
Sep 17, 2004, 11:18 AM
mac users are so afraid of modifying their computers. it's weird. they think it's sacreligious to open their cases or something. every man and woman can be an engineer! what's the point of having a computer that 'just works' if you don't know *HOW* it works?

Well, there are much easier ways of figuring out how computers work than ripping apart one worth $500+ (might I suggest http://www.angelfire.com/mac/mactari/mactari/mact.html ?)

The point is that Apple has tried -- quite successfully, I might add, imo -- to make consumer models models you have to upgrade by ditching and buying again. I've owned three iMacs now and am typing this on an iBook -- up until the G5 iMac, opening was a real hassle on purpose. Heck, Apple even removed that mezzanine slot from the iMac "way back when" to do all they could to keep consumers from upgrading -- the spot for the connector was still on the logic board, but for whatever reason, Apple didn't want anyone to have a decent Voodoo2 3dfx card to happily game on those machines. (The reason, of course, is obvious -- "Buy or bye")

And, as I say, they've done a great job. Ever upgraded an iBook hard drive? Good heavens. I'm lucky the thing still boots. If you want to learn how a machine works, try a whitebox x86 project, or at least grab something a little easier to work on, like an old Powerbook.

Now that apology said, I do wish someone would figure out how to mod iMac screens, especially the lamp-mac. That's a great screen with a great stand for not much dough. But it's certainly not a general public kind of project, there.

kgarner
Sep 17, 2004, 11:27 AM
I can't even use AutoCAD over RDC. When I try to draw a line I can't see the line following the cursor after the first click. I only see the line appear after the second click. This is like drawing blind. If it can't handle this simple level of graphics how can it handle full 3D?

mkaake
Sep 17, 2004, 11:54 AM
good grief people, why don't you stick to what he asked!

he's not really interested in RDC, so take it to another conversation.

this may be technically feasible, as in this iMac, the mid plane (or whatever they're calling it) can be removed. since the graphics card is on this board, the display connection *must* have some way to be disconnected. if that's the case, if you can find a pinout of the connector, it can be done.

obviously, as anyone can say, it's not smart, or advisable.

but that's not what he asked.

yes, it's semi feasible, but not until someone can get the pinouts for the display. that and the cabling after that might be a little tricky. it's pretty tight in there to begin with.