Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I went to the Apple Store and looked at the new Apple monitors. I don't know if anyone out there feels the same way but I prefer the old Apple Cinema Displays better. I like the look much better than the new aluminum ones. Is there really much difference between the 2 moniotors or are they both good? Are they both DVI?

I am considering buying a new (or old) 20 inch but I may leap for the 23 inch display. I'm just not sure yet what to do.

Have there been any problems reported with the new Apple Displays in the past 60 days?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I would go for one of the new displays, the quality of the displays are better than the old versions in terms of viewing angle and response. In addition it is clear that Apple is dropping the ADC connection, you may find you will have to buy an adapter when you replace your current Mac as it may only have a DVI connection.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Thanks.... I just cannot make up my mind (20 vs 23 inch). I use my new G5 for email, internet, home office tasks, video chat, downloading photos from my camera, etc.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I know just how you feel, I have seen the displays in person myself, and when I first saw them, I preferred the old version as well. However they are growing on me, and I intend to splash out on the 23" version in the next 4 weeks. I am using a 17" Apple LCD screen at the moment and want some extra space for photoshop and Final Cut. Next year I intend to replace my Powermac MDD for a new G5, so the display will match (hopefully).

raynegus

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2003
I saw an old and new 23" side by side at a local store. Both were hooked to the same G5 so I could move windows and artwork back and forth between the two screens. This really is the best way to compare the two if you have the option. Brightness was set to maximum on both displays. Both were at 1920 x 1200.

The new display is noticeably more vivid. Color saturation and contrast seems to be taken up a notch, and the screen is brighter also.

I actually found the old display easier to work on when viewing text against a white background. I found myself squinting a little with the new display when the window was large with a white background. This, of course, can be solved by turning the brightness down a little. It is not a big problem, it is just what I noticed when comparing the two.

Artwork and photographs look quite a bit better on the new display. Very vivid, sharp, contrasty. Absolutely stunning.

I know what you mean about the old displays having a certain look and feel to them that is lost on the new ones. You don't get that picture frame border that you had with the old ones. You get the feeling that the goal of the new ones is to take up as little desk space as possible, which is fine if that is the goal. I think a 23" or 30" on an articulating arm will be very impressive, possibly the most impressive displays ever. Maximum screen in a minimum enclosure.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I bought the new 20 inch!!

I went out tonight and bought the new Apple Cinema 20 inch display. I just could not see spending $700 for 3 more inches and the older displays were only $100 cheaper.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I still wonder if I should have gotten the 23 inch monitor however. I have 14 days to make up my mind according to the sales slip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.