Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
As the title says, just bought a refurbished Macbook Air from apple, its a 1.86ghz, 128gb ssd. Checked the serial and its a 2008 model :confused:

Thought they were faulty returns which were repaired and placed on the store asap, didn't realize they were sitting in a warehouse gathering dust for 2 years.....anyway it works and I'm happy!

I take it this one is a rev c, model 2,1?

Thanks

aaron11193

macrumors regular
I don't get the whole "got to have the newest product" thing..

I have a Toshiba Portege M200 running Ubuntu and it still runs quite well. I also have a 2.8GHz Intel Celery tower PC that I found at the local tip that is my main computer running Win7. Upgraded the RAM to 3GB and the graphics card to an ATi Radeon x1650 PRO and it runs like a champ, I see no need to get something really up to date. I want to build a gaming rig but it wouldn't be anywhere near an i7 or anything like that..

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
As the title says, just bought a refurbished Macbook Air from apple, its a 1.86ghz, 128gb ssd. Checked the serial and its a 2008 model :confused:

Thought they were faulty returns which were repaired and placed on the store asap, didn't realize they were sitting in a warehouse gathering dust for 2 years.....anyway it works and I'm happy!

I take it this one is a rev c, model 2,1?

Thanks
Rev B, October 2008. Rev C is the current model.

And no they're not faulty. It was the original that was useless. Anything with the 9400M is fine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm thinking of buying exactly the same model that you got: revision b, 1.86gz, 128 SSD. Did you get it from Apple's refurbished page?

I'm going to take a completely uneducated _guess_ that Apple had quite a few of these "high-end" revision b's that remained UNsold when the revision c's were introduced. And thus, it's very possible that some of the 1.86/128SSD revision b's are in truth "new and never-before-owned". Of course, they are repackaged into Apple's brown "refurb" packaging, and some might have been returned unopened from retailers.

From what I've been able to research in my pre-buying investigations, seems like not too much was changed from revision b to revision c. The revision c's _do_ have a slightly improved battery. But the basic innards remain the same.

Having said that, how do you like it?

Did you try the "current" 2.16/128SSD version in stores before you bought? I did and was VERY impressed vis-a-vis a comparison with a MacBook Pro 2.53 sitting on an adjacent table. Yes, I _know_ the MBPro has a faster CPU. But - overall - the MB Air just had the "snappier feel" to it. A difference that was much MORE than just "noticeable". It was striking.

For a "travel computer", these look very good.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
It's NOT two years old. Even if it was made in 2008, it would have had to been made before the end of March 2008. Apple didn't start releasing these until the first week of November 2008. At the very worst, it's 17 months old. BIG DIFFERENCE. Also, the MBA has essentially been exactly the same since the rev 2,1 MBA was announced in October 2008, so you have a "current" model per Apple's system.

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
It's NOT two years old. Even if it was made in 2008, it would have had to been made before the end of March 2008. Apple didn't start releasing these until the first week of November 2008. At the very worst, it's 17 months old. BIG DIFFERENCE.

It's not really that big a difference...it is the model itself not the age that makes a difference in my opinion.

I bought an "early 2008" imac in September...whether the machine was made in April or August didn't matter one bit.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for the replies, its an excellent piece of kit, just finished updating......now 10.6.3 has just released, damn!

I'm thinking of buying exactly the same model that you got: revision b, 1.86gz, 128 SSD. Did you get it from Apple's refurbished page?

I'm going to take a completely uneducated _guess_ that Apple had quite a few of these "high-end" revision b's that remained UNsold when the revision c's were introduced. And thus, it's very possible that some of the 1.86/128SSD revision b's are in truth "new and never-before-owned". Of course, they are repackaged into Apple's brown "refurb" packaging, and some might have been returned unopened from retailers.

From what I've been able to research in my pre-buying investigations, seems like not too much was changed from revision b to revision c. The revision c's _do_ have a slightly improved battery. But the basic innards remain the same.

Having said that, how do you like it?

Did you try the "current" 2.16/128SSD version in stores before you bought? I did and was VERY impressed vis-a-vis a comparison with a MacBook Pro 2.53 sitting on an adjacent table. Yes, I _know_ the MBPro has a faster CPU. But - overall - the MB Air just had the "snappier feel" to it. A difference that was much MORE than just "noticeable". It was striking.

For a "travel computer", these look very good.

I agree, this one looks new, even has the new apple smell which is unusual for apple refurbs so I'm very happy :)

I've had several macbooks over the years all of which have had hard-drive failures, I fly helicopters and chuck the laptop under the seats so the vibrations must prematurely destroy the drive...but thats my fault, hence the SSD which does make it feel far quicker than the macbook and low end macbook pro, not to mention durability!!

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
I don't get the whole "got to have the newest product" thing..

I have a Toshiba Portege M200 running Ubuntu and it still runs quite well. I also have a 2.8GHz Intel Celery tower PC that I found at the local tip that is my main computer running Win7. Upgraded the RAM to 3GB and the graphics card to an ATi Radeon x1650 PRO and it runs like a champ, I see no need to get something really up to date. I want to build a gaming rig but it wouldn't be anywhere near an i7 or anything like that..

While I agree that latest and greatest isn't always necessary, not everybody can get away with using very old machines like yours. Try playing newer games on your Celeron at 1920x1200 and that will be the day you will cry "new system"! My gaming system has 8GB RAM, Phenom II and dual GTX260/216 cards and even I have experienced stuttering at this resolution in certain games.

With that said the first 1.86GHz MBA showed up late in 2008 (over 1 year ago) so I wouldn't go call it latest and greatest anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.