PDA

View Full Version : Dead display on 17" Powerbook

Mike Teezie
Sep 11, 2004, 07:07 PM
A friend of mine just got a brand new 17 PB, and he came over to show it to me today. When he was leaving his house, he closed the PB for transport, putting it to sleep.

The problem is, the display hasnt "come back" yet. The computer is definitely on, because if you look *extremely* closely, in direct natural light, you can see the windows in OS X. It's almost as if the display is turned down to like one notch of brightness. I'm going to try to repair permissions, but it seems to be a hardware issue, not a software issue.

I was just hoping one of the geniuses here had heard of something similar, and had a suggestion.

Thanks for reading....

Elan0204
Sep 11, 2004, 07:10 PM
Sounds like there is a problem with the backlight. Try shutting down and restarting, it might get the light to reactivate. Or, the backlight is broken and not coming back. Either way, call Apple. See if this qualifies the PowerBook as DOA, so he can get a replacement instead of a repair.

NusuniAdmin
Sep 11, 2004, 08:33 PM
have u tried turning up the brightness lol

blackpeter
Sep 11, 2004, 08:53 PM
This happened to my 17" Powerbook after only one month of use.

The backlight cable has either become loose or is malfunctioning. I brought my PB into an Apple Store and had it back in 3 days. The receipt indicates that they replaced the cable.

Macmaniac
Sep 12, 2004, 10:22 AM
If Apple won't replace it with a new one, have him to an Apple Repair center and have them replace inverter board which helps power the backlight, however he may need to get the entire screen replaced.