PDA

View Full Version : New PB... Woot woot!!!

hcuar
Sep 11, 2004, 10:45 PM
As many of you may already know... I picked up my 12" Combo drive PB today at the Apple Store.

I've been using it for several hours now. I've updated all the Apple software via the system update. I'm amazed at how easy the WiFi was to setup. I'm using WPA security. Not much to it. I can't believe the whining that people have done at work to setup wireless. I can only hope that it's because I'm using a MAC. ;-p Then I can say... See I told you! You should have bought a MAC! ;-)

I'm about done transfering my 6GB of songs over as well. So... On to the bad part of my day.

I bought 512 MB of Kingston RAM for the PB. I went to install the RAM and I stripped one of the screws on the cover hiding the place where you put RAM. :( So... I took it back to the Apple store to see if they could remove it. Get this. The "Genius bar" person wanted me to bring it back tomorrow to dremel a slot into the screw. She mentioned that she would most likley damage the bottom of my PB!!! She said if that didn't work she would send it to the depot for $200.00 and they would fix it! I was pretty upset, so I stopped in at a MAC Media store. The tech there removed the stripped screw in 10 seconds flat. They then installed my RAM for 35 dollars. (I bought a case for the PB as well... sucker!) ;-) So... the only bad news is that I have to go back to the Apple store to get a new screw tomorrow. No biggie! I'm just glad I didn't let her dremel my PB. The guy at the MAC Media store used some sort of tool to back the stripped screw out.

Sorry this was so long. However, I just wanted to share by RAM story. So as a lession to anyone going to install RAM in a PB, be VERY careful with the screws. They are extremely soft and easy to strip.

hcuar
Sep 11, 2004, 11:31 PM
So... I was working on this and that... and my system crashed. I thought that I should run the hardware test to check and make sure the Kingston RAM is A.OK. The stinkin DIMM fails the extended test. :( So... I guess tomorrow when I go back to the apple store I'll have them put in 256 MB of Apple RAM, and I'll take the stinkin Kingston back to Best Buy?

What does everyone think? I wish I would have just bought the Apple RAM to begin with.

:(

FuzzyBallz
Sep 11, 2004, 11:38 PM
1) Nobody knows you got a PB until now.
2) Most people who can't setup WiFi are Mac users.
3) Apple Geniuses should add the line "I'm really a crazy robot" in their name tag.
4) Apple should weld the RAM cover shut so people will be forced to BTO.
5) Taking the screw off ain't hard, you just need the right size screw driver instead of whatever size you can find.
6) You should've done some research before buying some random cheap ass Kingston value RAM, and have people say "See I told you so."
7) Apple uses Crucial/Micron RAM, you should've bought Crucial RAM from Crucial.com or Newegg.com.

Abstract
Sep 11, 2004, 11:56 PM
1) Never call it a MAC again, please. It's Mac, as in Macintosh, not MACintosh. "Mac" is an abbreviation, not an acronym like IBM is.

2) I think Apple uses Samsung RAM in the Powerbooks, and Crucial/Micron in their G5 PowerMacs. You can get ripped off by paying Apple to get "Apple RAM", or go to OWC and buying identical Samsung RAM for cheap.

3) Installing RAM is almost idiot-proof. You just need the correct screwdriver. I can't believe you paid someone to take the cover off and install it for you.

4) The fact that the Kingston RAM failed isn't Kingston's fault. Same could have happened to Apple's RAM. I really don't understand why you can't/don't seem to grasp the simple fact that receiving bad RAM is quite random, and doesn't happen because you didn't get Apple RAM. Apple RAM = Samsung in your case. Apple doesn't know squat about RAM. They don't make their own, and having an Apple tech install it for you doesn't guarantee that the RAM isn't bad. I don't understand why you're still confused.

Kingston's RAM being bad is always an isolated incident. Its under warranty, so just get it replaced by a new one. Its better RAM than Apple's anyway.

5) Nobody knew you went to get a PB today, even if we helped you. Its hard to keep track. :)

hcuar
Sep 12, 2004, 12:19 AM
Ok... fine... time to get cranky.

1) I'm not a computer noob. I've probably built more systems and administrated more systems than the two of you.

2) RAM is not identical between manufacters. Besides being PC2700 DDR, there are many other things to consider. For one... Cache latency timings. There are many other factors such as prefetch timing, and others that aren't coming to me off the top of my head. So... The memory is probably fine. Just bad timings.

3) It's my money. If I want to pay someone to install the memory... I will. I typically don't touch a laptops; therefore I'm willing to have someone with more laptop experience install it.

4) Get over the MAC thing. Fine. What ever. It's a Mac... Macintosh... PB... Powerbook... Who cares. At least I didn't type the entire thread in caps.

5) Several people helped me decide to buy the Kingston memory last night. I posted in a the same thread that I was on my way to pick it up. Therefore, I made a simple statement. I'm not sure why it PO'd the two of you. Get over it.

6) In the future... If you don't have something constructive to say... Don't.

Abstract
Sep 12, 2004, 12:38 AM
I think our responses are considered relevent. Its not as if your post had any real direction, so many comments could have been relevent. You mentioned screws being hard to get off, and we both mentioned getting the correct size screwdriver.

About the RAM, all I meant to say is that Apple techs don't have the touch of God or something, so problems are as likely with Apple RAM as they are with Samsung (same RAM), Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, or any of the top manufacturers. I don't even remember what Fuzzyballz said (too lazy to check), but I don't remember me being harsh on you. People have already been through the RAM issue with you before. Don't sweat it, just return the RAM for a good stick.

Also, when a top manufacturer like Kingston sells you RAM that they claim is compatible with your Powerbook, they make sure the specs of the RAM don't cause problems. Otherwise, all the PB compatible RAM they sold to "Mac" users would be a bit off and cause kernel panics. If that weren't the case, nobody would have had success with them, as the timing on all their RAM is off. So its not the timing. The specs are matched fine. Its just bad luck.

Want a tissue? :p

sethypoo
Sep 12, 2004, 01:14 AM
1) Nobody knows you got a PB until now.
2) Most people who can't setup WiFi are Mac users.
3) Apple Geniuses should add the line "I'm really a crazy robot" in their name tag.
4) Apple should weld the RAM cover shut so people will be forced to BTO.
5) Taking the screw off ain't hard, you just need the right size screw driver instead of whatever size you can find.
6) You should've done some research before buying some random cheap ass Kingston value RAM, and have people say "See I told you so."
7) Apple uses Crucial/Micron RAM, you should've bought Crucial RAM from Crucial.com or Newegg.com.

Man, get off his back! He's a new Mac user, cut him some slack, and shave your.....well, nevermind.

inkster218
Sep 12, 2004, 01:55 AM
I agree, you two are being boners. Most people just come in here to share a cool story or experience and really could give a rats booby if they type MAC or Mac or MAc or mAC.

Arrogance is powerless power....relax silly boys. :o

Good job on the PB man...sometimes those cheap screws can be a problem. I've been in hardware and engineering for 15 years and I run across cheap screws like that all the time, if that screwdriver doesnt fit JUSTTT perfect...oy.

Congrats!

dswoodley
Sep 12, 2004, 02:03 AM
I gotta agree with the thread author - what's with the crankiness? So the guy is goofy about getting his PB? What's the big deal?

Anyway, congrats man, hope you enjoy yer 'book

Natalia81
Sep 12, 2004, 02:15 AM
I too agree with the author of this thread. There are a few people at this forum who are total smart asses. Some members here are touchy as hell. MAC, Mac, MaC...does it matter!?!?!

Coolvirus007
Sep 12, 2004, 06:53 AM
oh my god. WHO CARES if its MAC or Mac? Could you be more annoying? And be a little more ********* sympathetic. I would be pretty cheesed off if I had to go through that wil my brand new pb. The screws on my powerbook were really tight that I couldn't remove the cover plate as well and I went to the apple store too. And that does not mean that I am a noob at installing ram.

vouder17
Sep 12, 2004, 07:06 AM
1) Never call it a MAC again, please. It's Mac, as in Macintosh, not MACintosh. "Mac" is an abbreviation, not an acronym like IBM is.

2) I think Apple uses Samsung RAM in the Powerbooks, and Crucial/Micron in their G5 PowerMacs. You can get ripped off by paying Apple to get "Apple RAM", or go to OWC and buying identical Samsung RAM for cheap.

3) Installing RAM is almost idiot-proof. You just need the correct screwdriver. I can't believe you paid someone to take the cover off and install it for you.

4) The fact that the Kingston RAM failed isn't Kingston's fault. Same could have happened to Apple's RAM. I really don't understand why you can't/don't seem to grasp the simple fact that receiving bad RAM is quite random, and doesn't happen because you didn't get Apple RAM. Apple RAM = Samsung in your case. Apple doesn't know squat about RAM. They don't make their own, and having an Apple tech install it for you doesn't guarantee that the RAM isn't bad. I don't understand why you're still confused.

Kingston's RAM being bad is always an isolated incident. Its under warranty, so just get it replaced by a new one. Its better RAM than Apple's anyway.

5) Nobody knew you went to get a PB today, even if we helped you. Its hard to keep track. :)

My word get off his case, he just wants to share what happened with him and his new PB, And for the final time when someone says MAC, Mac, mAc MAc we ALL understand it as MACINTOSH, so please go find something useful to do instead of bringing down new mac users.
What a great way to be introduced into the mac world by first having a faulty PB, and now a bunch people who make a big deal over the way someone spells MAC!!!!

BakedBeans
Sep 12, 2004, 07:18 AM
well.... Mac is important... its WRONG to say MAC

what's all this i've built more systems rubbish? what does that matter.... they were unduly harsh on you.. but... if you built so many systems i cant see why you couldn't install some memory yourself... ANYWAY

congrats on the powerbook you will love it... sorry you had problems with the RAM... but welcometh to the realm of macrumors.com

not everyone is so quick to get down your throat (not saying they were totally wrong but nevermind) have a nice stay any more questions dont be affraid to ask...

edesignuk
Sep 12, 2004, 07:56 AM
...oh cool...a thread where people are getting pissed, and for once I'm not involved...:eek: :p :D

crazzyeddie
Sep 12, 2004, 08:23 AM
This ones going to the wasteland, fast.

But BACK ON TOPIC... Just order your RAM from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com). Inexpensive, high quality RAM. The same goes for their shipping; 2 Day UPS for $6.51 is what I got the other day.

ThomasJefferson
Sep 12, 2004, 08:37 AM
Congrats on the new PB. I have the new 12in model and love it.
Bummer on the ram thing. I have been tooling around the insides of Macs since 1984 and if there is a way to "screw" up, I have done it.

Come to MR and post if you have any problems.

But, beware the Knights who say, "Mac". They are almost as terrible as the Knights who say, "Crucial"

JFreak
Sep 12, 2004, 09:04 AM
kingston memory has in my experience been very highly reliable, and they come with lifetime warranty. i'm sorry to hear you got a bad one, but they should replace it free-of-charge and the next one should be ok.

(i have only installed few hundred pieces of kingston memory, which is really nothing compared to the volume they produce. but still, zero problems.)

scottwat
Sep 12, 2004, 11:05 AM
But I sort of agree with the 2 bone heads jumping on his case. But I wouldn't jump on his case. To me Mac is the computer sitting infront of me and the server in my closet, etc, and MAC is the little set of hardcoded adresses on its network cards. Thats just my two cents. And that is messed up about the dremel happy guru.

7on
Sep 12, 2004, 11:12 AM
Well I doubt he's talking about "Media Access Control." Some people get upset about it as much as people who get upset at grammar. Many people associate "MAC" when discussing the Mac with ignorance. It'd be practically the same as seeing "w00t hooraZers FOR MACz!!!1111" Well, I doubt as severe but in the same ballpark. Grammar Nazis live on every forum - it makes them feel special pointing out the mistakes of others. Anyhoo, If I were you I at the Apple Store I would have demanded they fix it for free. I mean it is still under warranty right? And isn't the RAM bay cited as a user changeable part? I would have said that since the damaged screw was my wrong doing I'd gladly pay the 25 to replace it. But removing stripped screws is not by any stretch a hard task. http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/damaged_screw.html

I've had bad problems with Apple Support both AppleCare times. And both times my PB has received damage (the second time I asked them to replace a hinge because they damaged it, you know what? they replaced it with another damaged hinge). Pricks

hcuar
Sep 12, 2004, 11:32 AM
Well... I think they are going to put a new screw in for free. They weren't too worried about that. They were however worried about not being able to get the screw out. The guy at Mac Media couldn't believe they were going to try a dremel. He had a special tool to remove stripped screws. He said the screws in the powerbook are extremely soft. I realize it's my fault. I've kicked myself enough.

When I take it back in for the screw today, I'm going to be a "bonehead" and pay the money to put Apple Ram in. I'm going to make sure they run the test, then I'm going to go back home happy. I don't have the time or energy to mess with running back and forth finding out what Ram will work. I just want the computer to be up and running. I also don't want to deal with coordinating the shipping. I may be relocating out of state soon. So... I'm willing to pay for convienience. It's only $100.00 more for the "Apple" ram. I know it's Crucial or Samsung. Doesn't matter. ;-)

BTW: Thanks for the positive responses. I had a really bad day yesterday and it was discouraging to get the first two. It reminded me of PC forums or slashdot where a new user only hears responses like "nOOb!!!". My intent was to relay the screw thing on to people. Even an experienced user runs into bad days. Just wanted to save people the hassle.