Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Hi there

Been backing up my iPhoto pics and mail messages to my iPod using Backup, just in case I get my laptop nicked. It has just occurred to me though that I'm probably more likely to get my iPod stolen - I assume that whoever nicked it would then be able to mount it as a firewire drive and access all my files.

So the question is, any way to stop this? Can I password protect or lock the iPod or the backup folder? And if I do, will Backup still work?

Cheers chaps

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Gee said:
Hi there

Been backing up my iPhoto pics and mail messages to my iPod using Backup, just in case I get my laptop nicked. It has just occurred to me though that I'm probably more likely to get my iPod stolen - I assume that whoever nicked it would then be able to mount it as a firewire drive and access all my files.

So the question is, any way to stop this? Can I password protect or lock the iPod or the backup folder? And if I do, will Backup still work?

Cheers chaps

Maybe you can try going to Disk Utility and making an encrypted image on the iPod (in Disk Utility go to Menu, then Images) and simply putting the Backup File inside it, this should ensure that your data stays safe with password

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.